AMD Catalyst 14.6 RC2 (14.200.1004.0 June 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jun 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. campcreekdude

campcreekdude Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 7970 crossfire
    Ya... I was expecting to hear headlines saying Mantle blur has been fixed AMD owners rejoice..

It was proven that DX 11 IN BF4 was sharper in comparison to Mantle when it first came out. I was like meh... I'll get the game when that bug is fixed. Then I found out the 7970 is not fully optimized for Mantle yet ..

anyways thanks for letting me know none of this has happened yet. And I'm sure AMD would have hyped it up like some of you claim they would...
    not quietly release a mantle improvement.

When I first bought my 7970 it took a several months for it to become compatible with Windows XP.

But to my surprise this is a longer wait (and dont complain i use Windows XP/7) I know mantle doesn't work in XP.

2. derpyQ

derpyQ Active Member

GPU:
    HD 7950 3GB
    The fog/blur was a bug in BF4, and no other Mantle game has had that problem. Moreover it's been a very long time since Mantle graphics fidelity was fixed in BF4.

3. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    Thats because the voltage has scaled up along with the freq.

you could have done the same thing by bumping up the stock voltage offset and left the clocks at stock.

4. Gaz

Gaz Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 290X WindForce
    I am having problems with some games. GPU clock lowers to 300mhz with 60c temperatures. Is there any fix? 290x here.

Edit:
    Radeon Pro did the trick by using 'always use highest performance clocks while gaming'.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2014

5. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    But by doing that, I'm actually overvolting the card when it reaches peak clocks, which is undesirable for me.

Also, what causes the BSODs are the frequency changes, not the voltage changes. If the problem was with voltage, just by disabling the power saving options would do the trick (not the case, system still hangs with web videos, at least in my system, even if I bump the voltage a bit).

6. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
    actually, no, whats causing the bsods is improper voltage scaling between freq changes.

i hate to captain obvious, but by forcing a higher clock, you are forcing a higher voltage.

why not cut out the middle man?

7. Luke7

Luke7 Guest

GPU:
    4 GB
    Hi Sapa_Joe
    How did you set the minimum clocks to 500/625, by modifying the GPU Bios with TechPowerUp Radeon Bios Editor or MSI Afterburner?
    Also, could you upload a print of your mods/settings?
    Internet Explorer 11 is crashing with the SAPPHIRE VAPOR-X R9 290 4GB GDDR5 TRI-X OC, with HW acceleration on.

Regards Luke

8. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    I still beg to differ.

If you ad +25mv to the voltage, it means when you reach top clocks you'll have +25mv above the stock voltage. On the other hand, mine is at stock voltage when on top clock (no overvolting whatsoever). The higher clock is working only when I'm on desktop mode.

I tried adding +25mv like you suggest, but my system still hangs, BSODs, etc. The problem is the CLOCK SPIKES, not the voltage. With a custom profile, the clocks are steady @500mhz, so no hangs anymore.

I'm using MSI Afterburner, and created two profiles, one for idle/desktop (500/625) and one for gaming (1000/1250). Also my VGA BIOS is updated to the latest MSi released.

It's been a week and my system is rock stable (didn't turn off the computer or rebooted it in this time). I even opened an played like 20 simultaneous tabs on youtube, with MPC playing another video in the background and no hangs. Before, two videos played simultaneously was a guaranteed crash.

edit: I also created a custom fan curve because @500mhz the card was running a little hotter than it was @300mhz(stock). My case is well noise-isolated, so I'm not having any noise problems.

Here's how the configuration panels are on my rig:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    Well, adding 25mv will not overvolt (and I think that is the problem). The default voltage is 1.250 but when you watch a flash video although clocks will go ”full retarded” the voltage will not keep up the pace with them I dont know why. I use 1.275 (default +25) and max voltage that I've see when I watch flash content is 1.234.
    http://postimg.org/image/y02ntl0yx/
    Anyway anything that works go so setting minimum clocks is a good option.

10. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    I understand what you're saying, but my point is when we're gaming, the voltage will go +25mv above the maximum expected. This could theoretically reduce the GPU's lifespan. Also, my system hangs if I only tweak the voltage, this proving the problem is with the clocks.

BTW, are you watching videos on FULL CLOCK? Isn't that too noisy? Here it stays at the 500/1250 no matter the resolution of the video. And smooth.

11. Luke7

Luke7 Guest

GPU:
    4 GB
    Hi sampo_joe

Thanks, I will give it a try.

Regards Luke7

12. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    You wanna see something funny
    http://postimg.org/image/7ly3coty7/ the voltage is even lower when I gameplay:)

13. kcuestag

kcuestag Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti G1
    I wouldn't trust those readings 100%, I had same readings and thought my PSU was causing black screens when cards came out, but got a multi meter and It was giving a steady 12V-12.20V on both cards. :)

14. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    That could mean you PSU isn't able to supply the wattage necessary when full load... :question::question::question:

Ur welcome, I hope it does the trick for you too!

15. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    I highly doubt that I have this PSU from some months and I didn't had any stability issues but maybe someone know what's the difference between this two readings http://postimg.org/image/8u5qhx9cl/

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Same, didn't bother with a fan curve though, just left on Auto.

17. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Your card has a custom cooling, mine is the stock AMD one, also, I live in Brazil...

It's winter here and we had 26ºC temps today! LOL

With that custom curve, my card stays cool and never throttles.

18. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    The about one is for Motherboard, as it is low load on +12v, so it is nearly 12v.
    For your graphic card, it did a bit low even it is low load(42w, based on the VRM info), but it is still inside the allowed variance +/- 5% (11.4-12.6).

But I will suggest you to change it, as it may not causing issues now, but maybe in the future.
    And, it maybe the VRM reporting inaccurate value too.

PS:I am not an expect on this area, please correct me if I am wrong.:)

19. judicator

judicator Member

GPU:
    PNY 3090 RTX Revel
    I noticed the first artifacting I've ever had with 14.6 and Wildstar. It looks like the GPU temp is ok, but the ram temps are going up to 100 (on a screen that was doing nothing special... sitting on the disconnected screen.

Going to go back to 14.4 and see if it runs cooler again.

** Used DDU to do a clean install of 14.6 and so far it's better. Not getting pegged at 99% activity and ram has not gone over 85.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  20. heroxoot

heroxoot Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC2
    On 14.6 RC2 my GPU is clocking up for flash even tho all hardware accel is disabled. On 14.6 regular it hardly clocked up at all. Is this a driver thing or maybe a poor install? Maybe I should reinstall it? Probably going to but wondering if anyone else has seen somehting similar?