Changing MB, ill need to reinstall win?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by davyon, Jul 1, 2014.

1. davyon

davyon Active Member

GPU:
    3070 EVGA
    I have an Asus P8P67 LE, but i got a new ASUS P8B75-M/CSM asus board coming today... they are both 1155 socket and ill use the same i3 2100, ill need to reinstall windows?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  2. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    I strongly advice you to reinstall windows. I mean i canĀ“t think of other component that i would give this advice really.

3. davyon

davyon Active Member

GPU:
    3070 EVGA
    well... that makes sense... oh God... >.>

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I would because you might have driver conflicts which would lead to Blue screens.

5. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    If they were both the same chipset you'd probably be able to get away with it, but it looks like you're switching chipsets. I'd probably do a fresh install anyway though, always do with a mobo change. That said, I use a smaller SSD as a Windows drive, so it makes it a quick and painless process.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    You almost certainly have no issues. Intel to Intel switches go really smoothly almost always. These days even Intel to AMD switches go smoothly usually.

7. davyon

davyon Active Member

GPU:
    3070 EVGA
    well... i dont have the best of lucks and already bought 2 DVD soo....
    i dont have an SSD which i should, so let the blood;y 350gb transfer begin...

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Same chipset usually = it will boot without reinstalling

I prefer to reinstall with such as big hardware upgrade

9. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Yeah, I don't see you having any issues.
    Maybe you are thinking of OEM windows installations where it uses the mobo/bios to activate windows, in that case you will have problems at first.

10. dmitrice

dmitrice Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 8GB
    Will work especially if they are similar chipsets and windows 8 and above, but you will likely lose your activation.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014

11. davyon

davyon Active Member

GPU:
    3070 EVGA
    well. it worked well, i didnt have to reinstall... although i was prepared for it, did back up, got windows cd and all... bui i just turn on normally... and is more smooth now. thx for the help.

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Glad to see that you did not have to reinstall Windows. I have tried this in the past and always got a blue screen due to driver conflicts. The only other times I have seen this work is via YouTube videos.

13. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Nice, I've swapped mobos before without reinstall and had no issues, not sure why so many people feel a reinstall in always needed.

14. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Because driver conflicts aren't uncommon, especially with chipset changes. Not to mention the fact that for most people, a mobo update is usually part of a larger upgrade. I'd rather have a fresh install on a rebuild, and with the cost of small SSD's now it's ridiculously fast.

15. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    When I changed from a gigabyte ud7 X79 to what I have now I did not reinstall and had all sorts of strange crashes and blue screens, reinstalled windows and no more issues.

16. Sir Galahad

Sir Galahad Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 Ti ssc
    I would say go ahead.

I've done it before on Windows 2000 and XP at it was fine. Windows 7 and 8 are even better at adjusting to hardware changes.

Before you take your old board out, just remember to boot it up in safe mode and uninstall all of the drivers relating to your motherboard.

17. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I wouldn't reinstall yet, considering it's still Intel, still ASUS and still the same CPU. Though just be prepared to just in case you run into any issues. I would reinstall all intel motherboard related stuff though, intel inf utility, etc.

18. ShadowMyth

ShadowMyth Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GByte GTX 980 G1 Windforc
    I switched from an ancient AMD board to an Intel z97 and didn't need to re-install windows 8.1. It ran fine, but just for the sake of my own knowledge I reinstalled in a week later. No difference in performance.

19. brunopita

brunopita Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming R9 270X 2GB
    I changed MB and processor and didn't format, worked well, Windows 8.1. But I recommend a format, did it already so it's a clean installation for a new pc.