R9 290 RMA or not ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Turban, Jun 30, 2014.

1. Turban

Turban Member

GPU:
    Gb R9 290 OC
    Hey guys ... I've been talking about my R9 290 in the 14.6 driver thread.. time to create my own.

So .. quick summary ...

Drivers 14.X ... unstable. Crash when card not under constant full load, or going back to 2D, etc ..

Drivers 13.12 ... "drivers amdkmdap stopped working "... once in a while...

Drivers 13.301 .. no problems... at least no obvious one !! But.. after a while at idle , the memory sits at 150 mhz and never goes back up !!

So really, my card doesn't like idling. I emphasize idling

Card is super stable under full load

Does anyone know why the memory would end up sitting at minimum frequency after idling for a while ??

I thought the 13.30 were good, but... after actually leaving the pc on, without touching it for an hour ... no crash like the 14.X but the memory sitting at 150mhz

I repeat.. no crash .. I just launch MSI Afterburner ( with stock freq dialed in ), and hop, there you go.. it works great again ...

All and all, with just MSI AB on, I could say that it's perfect, the problem is, I am really annoyed to have paid that much for a card that can't idle !!

I've done a lot of troubleshooting... lots of tests.. made and heard theories... would love if someone would actually know why memory would sit at minimum frequency, and if it is worth an RMA ...

And does anyone have RMA a card for the same reason/symptoms ?? Did the replacement card work better ??

Anyway.. a need to sort that out..

Cheers guys, hope to hear some guru science!!

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Do a search for disabling ULPS

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  4. Turban

Turban Member

GPU:
    Gb R9 290 OC
    I always use DDU and always had problem anyway.

But thanks for the tip about disabling ULPS , I've done it via regedit, I didn't know I could do that.

But so the card wouldn't be faulty if that works ?

That something I'd really like to sort out, if I should RMA or not.

Will see if disabling ULPS via the registry helps.

Thanks !

5. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    LOL ULPS is for crossfire and not single gpu

6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    No sh1t sherlock, still causes stability issues for single cards for some users.

7. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    I'm not sherlock. LOL i never knew that but maybe. As far as i know ULPS will do nothing unless you have crossfire but it's worth a try at least.

No way to be mean about it. At least explain yourself etc etc

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    You started with the flaming with LOL in your posts.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Gigabyte bios are notorious to be a little buggy, check if there is a new gpu bios for it

Edit: I checked my self and yep like I thought, 2 versions since retail :grin:
    http://www.gigabyte.eu/products/product-page.aspx?pid=4884#bios

btw before updating check gpu-z which type of memory do you have, Hynix or Elpida and what bios version.

10. Turban

Turban Member

GPU:
    Gb R9 290 OC
    I have Hynix memory ;)

And I did update the BIOS to the F12 version.

Sadly my PCB is revision 1.0 and therefore isn't compatible with version F21 ...

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
  12. Turban

Turban Member

GPU:
    Gb R9 290 OC
    Yep, not possible to go beyond F12 with rev 1.0 . I asked gigabyte if there would be more updates for rev 1.0 and apparently no .. so I don't know. I can tweak stuff to get the card stable, but wondering if I should RMA ...

13. griffz

griffz Guest

GPU:
    16GB
    either you send back your card or you try to solve the problem" by yourself".serisously, given bios are standard, you must "rma" it

there is no way they produce a such defective line of product without heavy press feedbck. i think you are the exception

14. Pyrage

Pyrage Master Guru

GPU:
    580 CF@ 1470
    Had the same problem and it got solved by flashing an asus bios into the card. For some reason all the gigabyte bios were utter **** to me, if they weren't crashing my pc they would be causing stuttering and weird slowmo in games sometimes.

If you wanna do it, this guide can help: http://www.overclock.net/t/1443242/the-r9-290-290x-unlock-thread

It's a guide about flashing a 290x bios into the 290, but the info is the same.

Click on "Other R9 290X ROMs", the one I use is the "PT1 Custom ROM", its a modded asus 290 bios.

After that, everything is 100% perfect, all I have to do is configure fan control on MSI Afterburner.

15. Turban

Turban Member

GPU:
    Gb R9 290 OC
    Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to try that bios flashing.
    After that I think I'll go the RMA way.

Thanks for the link ;)

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Good luck :)

17. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    If you decide to RMA after BIOS flashing, do flash the original BIOS back before RMA.

Otherwise you'll have void your warranty. Gigabyte won't even try to diagnose a card with an Asus BIOS in it ;)

For the record, I've had my Sapphire card for a month or so, very happy with it so far.

However, there indeed seem to be some problems with low workloads.

Try forcing higher clocks thru AB, ie create a profile for, say, your stock clocks with PowerPlay disabled (that's important) and enable it to load with Windows (apply settings with Windows startup).

You can then create a second profile for your OC settings if there are any and apply it manually when necessary.

Use WHQL drivers only as already stated.

Disable AMD Overdrive from CCC as it conflicts with AB.

And yeah, uninstall your current drivers and run DDU in safe mode, then reinstall just to be sure.

Hope this helps and good luck!

EDIT: if the manual profile solves your problem, you may try re-enabling PowerPlay within AB to have throttling support again.

Also, if you RMA, ask Gb to replace your card with the newest revision. This probably solves some problems to begin with and gives you access to newest BIOSes.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  18. Turban

Turban Member

GPU:
    Gb R9 290 OC
    Ok... so ... a little update...

I've returned the card last week, been running a new one since saturday, absolutely no problem at all, running the 14.4 , works like a dream.

So... I probably had a faulty card.

My advise to all people having black screens and all, just RMA the card, I know it's a pain, but... once it's done ... you won't regret ..

I forgot how awesome it is to run a pc without it crashing all the time...

19. Gaidax

Gaidax Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X
    Yes, as whole, I learned it myself that you need to return the card the moment you see something weird about it.

For example I had Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X, it was working perfectly, good benches, performance and temps, except one thing - sometimes it won't boot from first time.

I returned it and it indeed came up to be faulty in the lab testing and would have become worse, so I dodged the bullet by acting fast.

20. I purchased a XFX DD 290 last week. Even before then (in the last 2-3 weeks) with my 6950 I was getting random computer freezes (not as many as lately). Not BSOD, not "Not responding," straight up computer freezes where I have to hard reset. The last 2 days or so it's frozen about 7-10 times and every time it froze I had Chrome open and was on the desktop, etc. One time was during Sleeping Dogs but I'm 99.9% sure chrome was open in the background. After the reboot, Sleeping Dogs was stuttering a little bit, but after a couple normal reboots it seems to be normal again.

The only thing differently I did (aside from getting the 290) was re-install Malwarebytes Pro. I had it uninstalled for a while because it was a buggy mess when they updated to the new 2.0 version about 4-5 months ago.

When running games however, the card performs fine (except for that one freeze during Sleeping Dogs, but I don't think the card was the culprit for that one). I scored 2739 in Unigine Valley (Extreme HD 1080p) which I think is a pretty decent score..???

I disabled Malwarebytes and since then (2 hours or so of use) it hasn't frozen. I have it OC'd to 1150/1440.

Rest of system:
    Asrock p67 extreme 4
    2500k at 4.6
    XFX DD 290 at 1150/1440
    2 x 4 1600
    Seasonic Gold 750

Do you think the 290 is the culprit?