AMD Catalyst 14.6 RC2 (14.200.1004.0 June 20)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by asder00, Jun 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    No need for me to do that now though.

2. The Mac

The Mac Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9-290 Vapor-X
  3. Turban

Turban Member

GPU:
    Gb R9 290 OC
    But when these symptoms are present, does that make the card faulty ?

Edit : is RMA a good option ?

4. southeastblue

southeastblue Member

GPU:
    HiS IceQ 7950 3GB
    High quality gold rated power supplies from brands such as Corsair (who I think use Seasonic internals) often put out slightly more stable power than they are advertised at, without any draw backs (as in without majorly losing efficiency if at all).

Seriously can people with specs like yours really be that misguided?! Then again you can't even string a proper sentence together so can't expect much more than stupid replies.

Well Einstein take a look at this MSI guide stating minimum power supplies for each card, R9 290 states '31 amps, 550w'.

The normal on the box specs for cards ALWAYS over estimates, to take into consideration those brainless people who buy el-cheapo power supplies that never put out the rated power.

When systems power draw is mentioned in reviews, this will be using a watt-o-meter at the wall socket anyway. If a power supply has a gold rating and 87% efficiency, and it's pulling 400w at the wall it would turn that into 348w system power.

There's nothing wrong with future proofing systems with better power supplies, I just don't like people giving out false information. :3eyes:

5. Boing7898

Boing7898 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC
    I've tried setting the clocks to always stay at the 3D profile (1050 MHz and 1300 MHz), they always stay at that frequency but with 14.6 I still get black screens.

6. calusari

calusari Guest

GPU:
    nvidia GTX 2080
    This. My 290 runs perfectly with a 30mV overvolt and I never get blackscreens anymore.

7. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Never really thought about voltage being a problem, but I suppose I could give a tiny overvolt a try.

Although since I switched my monitor (using a Gateway VX1120 atm (feels awesome having smooth 119Hz animations) with MSI's VGA-to-DVI adapter), that might also change the results. Guess i'll just try letting my monitor sleep for a while and see if it black screens, then try the overvolt if it does.

8. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    Report this problem if you have it guys.

9. Towtol25

Towtol25 Member

GPU:
    2x 290x LCooled
    I gave up on trying to get 2x R9-290X to work in CFX, using any 14.xx drivers, on the i7-4770k/Z87 combo I have.

I decided to try a cpu/mobo combo with the new i7-4790k and an ASRock Z97 Extreme4. The Microcenter near me had a deal going on the combo.

I finally got the latest 14.6 RC2 drivers to work in this new combo but not without resource concessions.

The major difference (from my viewpoint as a user) between the last of the 13.xx drivers and the 14.xx drivers is the introduction of Mantle.

Initially, there was no way the newest driver was going to work with ULPS disabled. It seems that the addition of Mantle is exacting a heavy toll on the PCI-E bus causing it to be unstable.

To stabilize out the PCI-E bus I had to first make sure all cpu cores were enabled with all power saving enhancements disabled.

Next, I had to install .NET Framework 4.5.2 prior to installing the driver. The version of .NET included with the driver was continuously getting corrupted by the driver crashing.

It didn't matter what cpu freq. I used; stock settings of 4.0Ghz or higher had to have increase in VccIn. A System Agent voltage offset was also also necessary.

But I wasn't there yet. I was able to get into the Win7 x64 desktop but anything that called on graphics use or required accessing gpu data was still causing system freezes and black screens. I was even losing the video signal on Restarts.

I finally decided to treat this as if I was OCing the PCI-E bus via the BCLCK. I enabled PLL Overvoltage and selected the SB PLL enhancement option.

Now, with an increase in VccIn, an SA offset, PLL overvoltage, and an SB PLL, the 2x R9-290x work in CFX without black screens and freezes. I can even disable ULPS. It took me two days of slowly testing everything with a new install of Win7 x64.

Some Windows tweaks I made sure I tried were booting with all 8 cores. Loading the kernal and Windows into RAM. Disabling the AMD External Events service. I don't know what the ACP option is during driver install but it kept giving me an error so I unchecked that along with that Gaming Experience option. Power Options are definitely set to High Performance. No Windows Search . No drive indexing. Etc, etc...

It's not like my system can't handle all the changes but the addition of Mantle should not be so "heavy" on system resources like this... it should run "right out of the box".

If this is how Mantle affects system resources I'd like to see AMD add a switch of some sorts to toggle Mantle on and off through the CCC. With the default being OFF!

BTW, I went back and tried applying 25mv to the cards on start up via MSi AB and I still got freezes and black screens. For me, the changes I made are a necessity to run the latest driver.

10. Boing7898

Boing7898 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC
    I did, another guy did before me too and AMD kept saying to RMA the card, saying that it's not a driver-related issue..
    How can it not be a driver-related issue if 13.12 works with no problems..? :3eyes:

11. Jackalito

Jackalito Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX 6800 XT
    There's a lot of hard work there. Thanks for sharing your findings with us!
    Have you reported this to AMD in some way? I am wondering whether they're really aware of all this. I honestly don't know what to think about them when it comes to driver development.

12. moheban79

moheban79 Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6970 - 2GB Trifire
    The 290X hurt my overclock too!

To Towtol25,

I also experienced system freezes and lockups when the gpu was utilized right after installing my new Asus 290x Directcu OC Ii card. Was stumped until I lowered my overclock down did it become stable. This was with the 14.6 betas. Since then I've done a clean driver install and had Net Framework 4.5.1 do a in place repair and reinstalled the 14.4s. Seems stable and I almost have my old overclock back but your right it does destabilize the pci express bus or possibly pull so much data and power that it tests the limits of your system and I have an old X58 single card setup with 1200 watt psu feeding the card. Unbelievable it happened to you too!

13. Zemial

Zemial Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7970 @ CF
    Grid Autosport + Battlefield 4 worked very well with this driver. All ultra. No problems.

14. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    thanks for the info. How does it compare to the 14.4 drivers. I'm still on 14.4 and I don't want to upgrade drivers if there is no benefit in most games

15. Zemial

Zemial Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7970 @ CF
    I don't see any noticeable improvements. My rig worked fine with 14.4 and also with these 14.6 RC2 drivers. There is some new crossfire profiles inclueded thou (like grid autosport). I did usual DDU safemode uninstall and everything worked fine.

16. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    Really starting to become dismayed by AMD drivers latley. This latest driver has no notable perfrmance increases, it actually has lower minimums, and on top of that it is more unstable as well. I get random bsods doing nothing more than web surfing and a guarunteed bsod while watching vine videos or flash player videos.

17. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The crashes are due to Flash, try updating it! Or turn off video acceleration in flash.

There is possibly a heavily reworked driver package coming, if so it explains why there hasn't been any big changes recently.

18. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    I just tried your sollution now... I'm going to test some massive flash/video watching and tell you guys if it worked!

19. Powerwolf

Powerwolf Guest

GPU:
    These drivers are a mess for me... State Of Decay and Football Manager all have weird artifacts which are not there on 14.4

20. HerrFornit

HerrFornit Active Member

GPU:
    Asus HD7790-DC2OC-2GD5
    Have you guys the newest mainboard drivers? (probably you have)
    I get rid off my BSODs by updating the chipset drivers, probably the intel management Engine (ME), but also RapidStorage etc, not provided by the board manufacturer "AsRock", (using 14.3, )
    Bring up the idle clock to 500 (Asus GPU Tweak) brought some stability, now its deinstalled.

I also had the monitor stand by bug, solved recently by HDMI cable instead of DVI.

Interestingly a BSOD (7E) and freezes while video/browser and MS office work came back, after installing paint.net and adjusting the settings of the game Tribes Ascend (high video setting, with warning for system instabilities by the game!!). Deinstalling the paint.net and restoring the system didn't work. Now its seems stable again after DDU and reinstalling the mere 13.12 video driver. we'll see...

So for me it seems NetFramework is a possible candidate and a driver/registry corruption by some gamesettings???
    (Deactivating the hardwareaccelation didnt work and text rendering in Cyberfox is worse)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014