Intel Pentium-K 20th Anniversary Edition / G3258 Processor Review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 1, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Join us as we review and overclock the Pentium 20th Anniversary Series G3258 Processor, also dubbed Pentium-K. The Pentium 20th Anniversary Edition / G3258 processor features an unlocked multiplier and will be...

Intel Pentium G3258 Processor Review

2. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    Anniversary star award, intel did it again!!! best cpu and only on it's segment.

3. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it remind me my Pentium 955XE... but a lot cooler :) .

btw it could have been interesting to put some I3 despite not OC in the bench... just to compare with another low-end Intel too.

4. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Good competition against the FX 4300 & the 760K. May tip the balance in the budget build I plan on doing. I just hope the H Series M-ITX boards become overclockable like ASUS/MSI say.

5. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Mmm.. Azerty site still says it's unavailable :S Was this a special delivery Hilbert? ;) Hardware.info also doesn't list it as available. Nice review btw, cool little thing.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No they had one batch last week, but it was sold out real fast ... Informatique has them in stock at 65 EURO though.

7. Twiddles

Twiddles Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2080 2190-7550
    Aah thanks! I'll give them a call!

8. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    4.8ghz from 3.2 not too shabby. I have seen screen shots of this cpu @5ghz but that might have been a hoax or the people who did it had a golden chip. Im thinking with decent air cooling such as the hyper evo 212 that you might be able to OC to at least 4.0 on stalk volts.

Hilbert what was the highest OC you got with this chip on stock volts?

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Why go for the H series M-ITX board when you can get a decent very well priced Z87 M-ITX board from both ASUS and MSI and have the full benefits of LGA1150 and Z87 on one board?

You also have the option to upgrade the CPU in time when current high end Z87 chips drop in price for a very nice upgrade.

Back on topic:

Honestly though this chip costs pennies and performs extremely well, however, I find it hard to justify spending so much more on cooling it just the get the most out of it. The chip costs sub $80 yet a H110 used in the review costs around $100. To me that is a bit silly spending more on pretty high end cooling just to cool such a low end chip. Sure the overclock potential is there, but if its not for aesthetics of the rig (ie proper full blown custom water loop) then it is not worth spending more money on a cooler than on the chip.

For just over $100 you could get a nice quad core CPU that would overclock slightly, and perform better in most modern day multi threaded apps than this 2 core CPU. They could of at least slapped on Hyper Threading to this chip then I would be very impressed.

10. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Depending on your batch and mobo it will differ I guess, but roughly 4.1 GHz, after that you'll need extra juice.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Pretty decent performance for the price, and I like the overclockability. The only thing I find really off-putting is it's default wattage is higher than I expected. Knowing how you can overclock many intel CPUs by nearly 1GHz without increasing the voltage, you'd think intel would just drop the volts by .1 or .2.

12. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    because it's a Pentium... then why a K? because it is for fun and the name Pentium remember a lot to most of us. like the FX name for AMD.

BTW i have tried to get one... already all sold out in most computer shop surprising the owner :)

*Edit* after some more talk: not in shop yet but cannot take more command for now because supplier cannot handdle more... a future hit?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
  13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Man that is pretty good. Intel really out did themselves with this chip.

14. maxio

maxio Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    This OC + reasonable cooler = i3 price tag.
    2c/2t for games? not realy, i3 will be much better choice.
    This cpu is just art for art's sake, good for htpc.

Imagine i3 with unlocked multiplier, THAT would be something for 20th Anniversary, but we both know why this never happen. :)

15. KillerSupra

KillerSupra Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire HD7850 2GB@1100
    One thing you guys are forgetting is that this processor has a purposely "nerfed" instruction set. IMHO all the clockspeed in the world can't save this CPU because of the lack of AVX/AVX2. For nostalgia's sake, this really is a fun little processor!

16. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    sure I3 is obviously better... but it is not called "Pentium"... and it's not unlocked too.

definitively yes :)

17. Looks like good CPU.

18. lantian

lantian Guest

so how many volts can i push trough this chip, is it the same as with amd as long as it's cool it its ok?