Crytek may go bankrupt owing to Ryse failure

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by kd7, Jun 22, 2014.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Well i guess in end, Crytek is another victim of EA´s widow´s kiss. EA has already trashed/destroyed Command and Conquer, Sim City, Syndicate, Dead Space, among others and now Crysis (Crytek) and Battlefield is going the same way.

There´s no stopping the path of destruction of great games for EA. It must be some company mission... No wonder eveybody hates EA!!!

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    ROFL

Not that Mike Read...

This Mike Read was an A & R guy who worked on EVE TV and somehow ended up being a producer for EVE Online. He left them and worked as the Producer for Crysis 3 (I think you can see where this is going) at Crytek and was/is the Producer for Ryse.

CCP Games is cutting staff all over the place, and now we have a crisis of financial liquidity at Crytek.

CCP Games are probably going to close their doors with 24 months due to an inability to maintain EVE Online (I could draw you a graph to show their problems in detail) and Crytek are suffering a similar fate due to Ryse under-performing/development mismanagement and probably general lack of interest in the IP/Genre.

CCP Games is a ticking bomb, with more mismanagement (minus Mike Read who left it in the state it is in) at the top not knowing what to do.

CCP Games has no experience in AAA production, and Crytek's Producer of Ryse/Crysis3 has no real talent deserving of the role he has.

He's a nice guy, for sure; but so's my postman.

3. xg-ei8ht

xg-ei8ht Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1gb 6870 Sapphire
    Don't know if it's the games or the engine.

While everyone was buying unreal to work with. Not many were buying cryengine. I don't know, is it too expensive, is it a pain to work with.? anyone.

As for the games.

Crysis1 was good.

Crysis 2 was ok.

Crysis3 was better then 2.

All MP was crap. And that for many is the bread and butter of games. MP.

I don't have an xboxone. But they should have steered clear of ryse, was a kinect game to begin with, and in places went down to 16fps in places. Although xboxone is poor hardware. Don't believe in magic clouds and dx12. It won't help.

If they do go, i hope the engine lives on and a good team can take advantage of it.

4. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Crytek UK were called Free Radical. Free Radical made one of the best FPS ever...

TimeSplitters!

Crytek said if the audience is there they would remake it, no way that is going to happen now. Lets hope the fan remake comes along well!

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Well considering all their PC titles had terrible sales what other choice did they have but expand their userbase?

Sorry but going to consoles didn't kill Crytek. Terrible games that played only on 1% of PCs did, along with a terrible licensing system for their engine.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I didn't like that game one bit. Not one bit.

Last good console FPS was Goldeneye and, possibly the original Dark game - minus the bad AI.

To this day, I am SHOCKED that no other FPS on consoles has the option to hold down a button and use aim+fire...it is literally like people have no limbs or joint movements.

Turok also had it, and I believe Southpark FPS did too (remember that? you had to select 'browneye' control system)

7. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    IDK I don't think that's true. Halo was pretty revolutionary at the time in terms of input/gameplay ideas. There were a few others too -- killswitch comes to mind, the cover system in that is used in a ton of games (although I guess that's a 3rd person).

And Time Splitters was definitely a lot of fun.

8. mackintosh

mackintosh Maha Guru

GPU:
    That's pretty much it right there. "But will it run Crysis" may have been a funny meme, but it probably kept other developers away from their engine. No one wants to pour development funds into a game that won't run on most contemporary configs. It's cool to be avantgarde, but it's the mainstream where the pennies lie.

9. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    I personally loved Crysis 2. I loved it more than 1. Crysis 3 not so much. It was not as good looking and the performance was not great.

10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    it was great benchmark for years to come, it was the butcher of gpus for generations, cant say the same for crysis2 and 3 though.

Crysis and Warhead where the only good ones and I liked Warhead more. Those 2 where the only FPS games I bought short of AVP remade in since the. Run and hide your health system became standared in almost all fps games which i hate. Which is why its shocking I even liked cyrsis warhead.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014

11. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    Agreed, I thought Crysis and Warhead were both very solid titles while 2 & 3 were terrible nonsense. I was excited for Crysis 2 until I played it (I hadn't seen any trailers/screenshots/plot synopsis). I'm still at a loss for how 2 & 3 connect to the first game in any sensible way beyond DUHHH THEY HAVE SUITS.

12. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    I liked the old Crytek, that is in pre-Crysis2 times. Far Cry and Crysis 1 were TOP. I liked the fact that they were perfectionists and were designing the game around the top-available hardware, rather than the most popular or the most widely available. I bought Crysis 1 collectors edition without a second thought, but it was the last game I bought from them.

13. zehoo

zehoo Member

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Not having Crysis 3 on Steam would have no doubt hurt it's sales. It was also a mistake for them to make Ryse exclusive to the xbox one (a game I personally like).

14. miffywiffy

miffywiffy Master Guru

GPU:
    750ti
    What happens when u make several **** games in a row.

15. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE

Only ****ty game companies tanked because of their own inability to produce a decent games. Lots of game companies flourish because of PC games. I'm surprise many people buying the myths that pc games don't make good money when we have multiple examples saying otherwise.

EDIT: damn auto correct from phones.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014

16. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    And you know what? Modified consoles are everywhere. Also. Many good games proven that they make profits even with 'extreme' piracy on pc. Lets all believe that piracy makes pc games fall when the fact is simply because the games sucks.

17. Veeshush

Veeshush Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 680 Lightning
  18. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Something to do with documentation and support.

19. orion24

orion24 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 680 @ 1254/1703
    The classical daydreaming of software developers: What would it be like if every single person who installed a pirated version of the game had bought it.

The truth is that piracy never hurt anyone and only a minimal amount of those would have actually bought the game if they had no other option. The vast majority would choose not to play it at all instead. By contrast, the presence of all those game copies, increases the overall game popularity and in the end brings more benefits to the developers than losses. And many of those that initially play the game pirated, end up buying it in the end, if they really like it. This is what I usually do myself as well.

It wasn't PC gamers who caused them to switch to console development. It was actually their own goal to be at top. They saw that Call of Duty remained more popular than Crysis even in the PC market and that really hurt them, because it was nothing but a crappy developed DX-9 based game, built around XBOX 360 and PS3. Piracy is what they officially blamed. Instead they should have just realized that being the most popular does not mean that it is the better one as well. Crysis was light years ahead.

20. Aww the peasants and kids gonna miss a few 'next gen' games for their 'next gen' consoles.

Game companies operate to make profit. They see a larger console market with higher margins and an opportunity to skimp on production cost. So they jump ship. But no company in their right mind is going announce that they are being cheapskates, so they point fingers at the piracy boogyman.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 24, 2014