nvidia "locks-in" developers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by kd7, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yeah its just that he conveniently forgets that Nvidia sometimes gets no game build period - forget about the source code.

http://techreport.com/news/26521/nvidia-responds-to-amd-gameworks-allegations

2. INSTG8R

INSTG8R Guest

GPU:
    Nitro+ 5700XT
    The only "real" thing AMD has had that isn't open source has been TressFX. WhooHoo "cool hair"
    Tho Gameworks "middleware" is a total mystery. The "Bat Cape" was a pretty scathing example.

3. kd7

kd7 Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    @tsunami @---TK---

Seriously guys? pricing is as if AMD doesn't even exist?
    lots of people have bought FX cpus, and to say something like that about AMD gpus is just ludicrous. The Titan is a flop, and now nvidia just pretends that it is not really for gaming to avoid admitting defeat, that is why they don't change the price. I think it is pretty obvious that nvidia will avoid admitting defeat at all costs as to not upset their fanboys (or at least that is the only reason I can think of).

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  4. kd7

kd7 Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    @INSTG8R Everyone has access to TressFX code and can optimise for their hardware.

5. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Hmm, the most noticable is the "coughing" :D

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I pretty sure the nvidia fanbot admit the titan is overpriced flop too.

NVIDIA has always prices the stuff higher then AMD and some times price them like AMD dont exist just look at the titan cards. but continue with your argument that with out AMD Nvidia cards would be 4 x the price they are now. both side been jacking up prices over the years, its just NVIDIA is way more aggressive cause they KNOW people will still buy the cards. so they keep pushing things higher to see just how high people are will pay to go.

If that was true INTEL cpu would be 4 x price they are now and they pretty much have amd beaten in to the ground as far as desktop cpu goes performance wise yet they dont charge 4x times the prices

7. NV hardware- best hardware.

8. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    yeah thats what I said. Need proof look at the original titan, titan black and titan z prices. Good thing amd is around else the 3 or 4 people worldwide would be paying north of 12 grand for a titan z.

9. Relayer

Relayer Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX3870 512
    Are you saying that from your experience he's a liar and we shouldn't believe what he said?

10. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The difference between Nvidia and AMD is that Nvidia chases the proprietary solutions (G-Sync, Physx, CUDA etc.), whereas AMD chases the open solutions (Freesync, OpenCL etc).

If Nvidia do what is claimed then they are doing it illegally which wouldn't surprise me. If I were those game developers, I would go against the contract and optimise for AMD. Nvidia can't really sue them for breach of contract, and if they try to annul the contract from the benefits it provides they can legally fight back... back I doubt whether they would do any of that. If they did, it would mean they wouldn't get contracts from Nvidia in the future.

I guess Nvidia can be proud of what they achieved with Watch Dogs. Isn't it funny how the PC version of Watchdogs (an Nvidia title) was neutered by Ubisoft so it doesn't look considerably better than consoles which are powered by AMD?

Nvidia should be disgusted by Ubisoft's actions. If they continue to do this in the future, despite being Nvidia titles, they certainly won't make Nvidia look good. In fact, if Ubisoft's Nvidia titles in the future are neutered (or more precisely, never having the graphical considerations in the first place), it will only go to further promoting AMD products (the consoles).

11. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Right... give us / make open source your industry leading stuff that's out and it works (CUDA, PhysX, G-Sync ).

Look we are making an open source our crap that's not out yet, stuff that no one cares about and is industry's bottom feeder (FreeSync, TressFX, Bullet)

Of course our industry's leading stuff and our best sw asset (Mantle) we have no intentions of giving away.

12. kd7

kd7 Guest

GPU:
    7970m
    FreeSync does for much less cost exactly what GSync does.
    If you prefer to pay a premium for it, well... you know what they say about fools and their money.
    OpenCL is equivalent to CUDA, if not more powerful and it was actually created by Apple and Bullet I think was developed by Sony.

Mantle is still in beta, if they don't release the code by Q1 2015 then you can say whatever you want.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2014
  13. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    Pretty much what he said, yeah.

14. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    AMD didn't create Bullet....but Bullet is vastly more flexible than PhysX will ever be because it's an open API.

FreeSync has been adopted by VESA.....and just like G-Sync, is nothing but a desktop adaptation of the DP spec used on laptops.

AMD never said they had no intentions of giving Mantle away. In fact, it was quite the contrary. They stated that Intel and NVidia were free to use it once it's finalized, if they so choose. With DX12 coming, it's unlikely that NVidia would take the time to write a driver to use Mantle......not like any of us actually expected them to anyway. DirectX and OpenGL are getting similar "low-level" access to what Mantle provides anyway so what does it really matter? Once DX12 hits the streets, devs are likely going to lose interest in Mantle and it will disappear.

Richard Huddy and Roy Taylor both.....
    (Roy Taylor is the one that claimed DX12 would never exist, even though AMD knew Microsoft was actually working on it)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  15. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    With ATI/AMD our GTX660 became a GTX680 and cost $200 more, your point?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014

16. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Got proof to backup that BS claim? Even NVidia's own engineers have said that the GK104 was intended to be the GTX680 from the start.

17. MAD-OGRE

MAD-OGRE Ancient Guru

GPU:
    SLI EVGA 780 Classifieds
    Nvidia came right out and said point blank AMD was way behind what they thought they had.
    Then all of a sudden the mid range chips we tend to see as 460/560 end up being top card and $200 more and competed with AMD's top offering and the same price point.(give or take $50)

18. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    There's no proof to back up that claim.

19. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    didnt you ever bring him up on this, techies have problems accepting whatevers told to them if its untrue, im just curious why you didnt bring it up?
    As a techie i cant stand BS lol.

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    All the searching I've done has turned up nothing but NVidia's own engineers stating that GK104 was intended to be GTX680 from day 1. I can't find anything, from any source, that says otherwise.