7850 high stock voltage?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by Nihilanth, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    Hey guys, long time since I posted here...

Anyhoo so my trusted little MSI 6850 Cyclone decided to call it a day a while back and being the utterly loyal bugger he was, decided to do it 2 weeks before the warranty ran out. Got lucky and MSI being the thoroughly nice chaps they are, sent me a 7850 Twin Frozr III 2GB OC edition. Free upgrade yay :flip2:

Stuck it into my system and everything went without a hitch...well until I noticed the uncomfortably high temps. The card was hitting temps north of 70 degrees at just 30-40 gpu load. Set up a AB profile and fired up Last Light but still it came just within a couple of degrees of hitting the dreaded 90.

Finally I happened to notice my voltage slider was maxed out a 1.210V in AB. I haven't OC'd or anything...I just received the card a few hours back. That is the voltage it was displaying by default. My Google search hasn't yielded a definite answer. Seen some variants have 1.05V stock while others seem to have a bit more.

The MSI 7850 Power Edition reviewed by this very site states in the overclocking section that they upped the voltage to 1.2V to achieve their clocks which means the stock voltage is lower of course. Since that card is pretty much mine with a Twin Frozr IV slapped on it, could someone please tell me if my 7850 is supposed to have 1.21V stock voltage or is it something much lower? In which case why the hell is my card's BIOS programmed with such a high stock voltage?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  2. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    That voltage is quite high. Stock is 1.025 on both of my HD 7850. XFX and VisionTek. I only need 1.110 to achieve a 1150 oc on core and 1400 on memory. But I am running 2x H60's on the cards. On stock clocks, stock coolers anything over 1.025 on core and temps were above 80c.

Turn the fan speed up. You can always force 1000 core/1200 memory on stock voltage of 1.025-1.060 and it be very stable with good temps.

3. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    Thanks for the reply. Been reading up and it seems some of these 7850's ship with these high stock voltages but at the same time I have read some people having the exact same card with the stock voltage you have mentioned so no definitive answer and yes I tried an aggressive fan profile and I think I was running it at 90% fan speed but still the temps were hanging around 90 at full load. Which brings me to the second part of my problem....

I can't seem to undervolt in AB. I tried bringing it down to 1.14V but in the monitoring section it still shows 1.21V. Anything else I can do besides a bios flash?

4. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Did you enable unofficial overclocking and voltage control in afterburner?
    I have voltage control and monitoring enabled in AB. Have both of those enabled and you should be able to go down to 1.025.
    I am running a custom bios I made for my cards that I flashed.

5. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    Have voltage control and monitoring enabled but haven't enabled unofficial overclocking mode yet...which one should I pick...with or w/o Power Play support?

Also tried undervolting in ASUS GPU Tweak...no luck there either. The profile gets saved but temps still hitting 88 and when I check GPU-Z the 3D voltage reading is still 1.21V....

What the hell...my 6850 had voltage tweak and hardly every hit 70 under max load...this is supposed to be a more advanced card with an even better cooler :frown:

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    The voltage is quite high but there's nothing wrong with a GPU running at 90C. Won't do any damage to the GPU. High voltage will cause damage before running at 90C will.

7. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    That's what's worrying me. 1.21V seems quite high and the messed up part is I can't seem to bring it down with any software. Tried AB, Asus gpu tweak, Trixx(even the modded one) but nothing seems to stick. Keeps reverting back to 1.21V no matter what I use.

And what's even more screwed up is the fact that I can't even go ahead and flash the bios since I can't determine a lower working voltage because none of the damn voltages will stick :bang:

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Just from a quick Google I found this:

1.3 is the MAX ATI say before you ruin the card. so 1.2 is safe for longevity
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/284596-29-7850-safe-overclock-long-term

And here is a thread full of people posting their stock 7850 voltages you could ask in
    http://www.overclock.net/t/1274623/...oltage-max-gpu-clocks-with-stock-voltage/0_50

1.25v has been stated by a sapphire tech as being the max safe voltage. I've pushed 1.3v with no issues
    http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=707463

9. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    Cheers for the links.

1.21 might be under the safety limit but I just don't feel comfortable with such a high stock voltage when people are running their cards o'ced well below that figure and I haven't even begun to oc mine yet. Not to mention the high 80's temps and that's after 5 mins of gaming. Ocing and prolonged periods of gaming are not gonna help bring it down any further.

Is there something I have missed with these softwares that I could try or does this card not have voltage control? Which is really strange considering the voltage slider isn't greyed out or anything. I really don't want to be flashing the bios on day one....

10. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    Anyone?

11. Nihilanth

Nihilanth Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 Twin Frozr III
    UPDATE: So with no GPU apps working for me as far as voltage control is concerned, after some research and guesswork, I went ahead and flashed my bios with 1.150V as the stock voltage and noticeable temp difference! A 10 deg drop at full load in Last Light. Maxed out at 78.

The ASIC quality of my card is 69% so how low can I reduce the stock voltage to? I can always crank it up while o'cing but as long as I am not, no harm in going as low as possible right?