Downsampling: How to

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by wasteomind, Jun 17, 2011.

1. BenYeeHua

BenYeeHua Guest

GPU:
    Asus 650M D3
    lol.
    Anyways, GPU scaling is a very good choose, as even Laptop user(that is not Optimus) can also use it, without a monitor that support scaling, and might delay the Frame to next vsync for scaling it, which increase input lag.

Except monitor has a better scaling algorithm than GPU to scaling it. :)

2. MusicStudent

MusicStudent Guest

GPU:
    8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Thanks for this, nice tutorial :)

3. Shady757

Shady757 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 970/GSYNC
    Anyone have any idea why when I downsample, the colours are very weird? Like, the gamma is all screwed up.

4. MiR4i

MiR4i Member

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 x2
    Pretty sure this is mentioned right in the initial post:

5. Shady757

Shady757 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte G1 GTX 970/GSYNC
    Yeah, I had read this entire post once before, and I was sure I did everything right, as this didn't occur in the past. I also posted this at like 7am CDT, I was very tired.

Also, I had just set it to automatic, and as said before, it was fine in the past.

6. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    had anyone manage to get 8k downsampling..

7. Apolonius

Apolonius Guest

GPU:
    Corsair DDR3 16Gb
    Hi.

I've tried to downsample with my nVidia GTX 780Ti but i can't do. I haven't the option to choose in "Perform scaling on:" between "Screen or GPU", only appears "Screen" so i can't continue.
    I have a 32" Philips TV 6000 Series connected with HDMI --> HDMI and have installed the last WQHL drivers, but i've tried with last Beta and iCafe drivers, the same result with all of them. I have installed Windows 8.1 and don't know if this is a problem or not because in my laptop with Windows 7 i don't have any issue to do it...
    Any help is welcome.

Regards.

8. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
    Hi,
    I'm trying to create 5760x3240 but there is something curious about this level, the aspect ratio become narrower for some reason. Anything below is working fine as intended until 5120 but anything above give black bars on display on right and left of the screen. That was already the case on my previous monitor (1920x1200 native). I have tried many things but none seem to have any effect. When I printscreen I get the right res screenshot. Does anyone have an idea about this ?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    My guess is that the driver is just getting confused. It does this sometimes with some resolutions. (I have this problem sometimes. And it's really frustrating. Luckily only happens with some resolutions)

10. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 @ 1480Mhz GPU
    How can I force 120Hz @ 4K downscaled to 1080p? My display supports 120Hz (Eizo Foris FG2421 on GTX 780 Ti w/ 337.88 drivers), but if I try to create a custom 4K resolution @ 120Hz, it tells me my display does not support that resolution at that refresh rate.. That makes no sense because its the GPU that does the scaling, not the display.

There is a tool, called GeDoSaTo, that was created for Dark Souls 2 and a few other games. It allows you to downscale from 4K to 1080p just like with a custom resolution, BUT it also allows you to preserve 120Hz!!! I know that 4K is limited to 30Hz in some cases and requires DisplayPort 1.3 or 2x HDMI ports/cables to run even at 60Hz, but this isn't the same thing. This is not a true 4K resolution and again, the display isn't doing the scaling, but the GPU is.

Is there a way to FORCE 120Hz @ 4K downscaled to 1080p?

Thank you!

11. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
    Well after further testing, any res over 3840x2160 with 3840x2160 as base active pixels give a distorted display in the end. That's disappointing, as 5120x2880 with 2560x1440 as base is clearly less sharp than 3840 native (although much less aliased)...

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Short of GeDoSaTo, no.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I found anything over 2x2 my native resolution is basically broken and doesn't work properly.

14. Xanvast

Xanvast Guest

GPU:
    Titan X P 3 Way SLI
    I managed to get 2.67x2.67 my native on my previous monitor but what I'm saying is that the UHD monitor can't take any increase if I keep 3840x2160 active pixels.

15. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    I keep having this stupid problem. I use 4K to downscale to 1080p, select GPU as the scaler and tick the override option. It ALWAYS works just fine if I select it in games, BUT if I select it in Windows, my screen goes black about 5-6 seconds after applying the 4K resolution. Then, I can press CTRL+ALT+DELETE, which does make the black screen go away, then I have to get of it and change my resolution back to 1080p within 5-6 seconds or else the screen will go black again.

What is this? Why is it happening? I figured that since games work fine with it, then it must be some Windows application causing this... It would be fine to just select it in games, but some games in Fullscreen Window Mode will not let you change resolutions and will force you to use desktop resolution you have at the moment. Deus Ex HR is one of those games and it looks phenomenal @ 4K downscaled to 1080p + SMAA + FXAA + LumaSharpen + Dithering + Tonemap.

Any ideas?

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    No ideas sorry. Maybe something messed up in your settings for the custom resolution. Try tweaking it and testing it maybe.

But also: How can you play DEHR downsampled? The UI becomes too small D:

17. RAGEdemon

RAGEdemon Guest

GPU:
    GeForce4 Ti4600
    Hi guys,

I have a 1280x800 (120Hz) 3D projector. A huge screen with a crappy resolution. I am in desperate need of downsampling.

I can manage 1920x1200 no problem, but a resolution any higher and my system just crashes when I press the "test" button in the custom timing screen.

I have been trying for years!

Why would it crash?

As a poster said earlier, the scaling is meant to be done on the GPU and should have little to do with the display. Why would this be happening?

I'd appreciate any help :)

18. MonarchX

MonarchX Banned

GPU:
    Yeah, but how often do you the UI anyway? DXHR @ 4K + FXAA + SMAA + LumaSharpen + Dithering looks absolutely phenomenal, although LumaSharpen is optional as it worsens aliasing in some cases.

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I'd imagine you'd need the UI to complete the game. But maybe you are right heh

20. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    just a heads-up for G-Sync owners - apparently downsampling via driver's custom resolutions works!
    its required to set desktop refresh rate to match target custom resolution's refresh rate, prior to creating that resolution.

now, since ASUS VG248QE w/ G-Sync DIY kit seems limited to several specific desktop/"max" refresh rates (60/85/100/120/144), I was able to achieve the following custom resolutions:

2560x1440 @ 100hz
    2880x1620 @ 85hz
    3200x1800 @ 60hz

haven't tested higher resolutions yet, nevertheless, I'm pretty much satisfied now :)

credit goes to fenderjaguar @ blurbusters forums for finding the cure.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2014