Murdered: Soul Suspect

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by UnrealGaming, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    PC version port seems really solid, granted this is an enhanced UE3 title running on DX11 and 64-bit rather than a true next-gen engine. Still, as expected with Square-Enix games there is plenty of graphics options to tweak, including a number of different AA modes. However, FXAA is far better at removing jaggies with the supposed superior ones leaving lots of obvious aliasing which is poor. In fact, the highest AA setting of 4f16EQAA (or whatever it's called) looks worst the XBO version for jaggies IMO. Game runs at 130 FPS without v-sync but using v-sync caps it to 30 FPS. The game controls feel fine though but disabling in-game v-sync and forcing it through the driver or D3DOverrider unfortunately do not work as the framerate exceeds 60 FPS on my 60 Hz display and exhibits lots of tearing. Visually the game can look quite nice at times and incredibly bland at others (many of the car models look like they're from a 2004 game and not all the buildings have the same amount of detail as the key areas. It's a bit rough looking in places with some odd flickering artifacts).

This game is definitely a marmite title but I really like. I've been playing the XBO version for about four hours earlier and other than the annoying stealth demon bits, which feel tacked on to give the game some tension, I really like the slower, more point 'n' click gameplay style. It's not a difficult game as you can progress by just blindly guessing, which is a shame, but it's memorable for me for being something a bit different. It's definitely very last-gen in terms of mechanics but for £15 on the PC (with a free copy of Quantum Conundrum) it's worth trying out IMO if you like adventure type games. The plot is interesting, the main character Ronan is likeable enough and the side-quests and collectibles offer diversions from the linear path of the main storyline.

2. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I played ~30 minutes and i think it's a good game.Not worth those 50/100 scores..Maybe Square Enix didn't pay the reviewers ? Lol..

3. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    Apart from SFX which you can customize for and by yourself, this are few essential tweaks to make this game looks better:

1. for Nvidia owners, using SGSSAA instead of default AA - this
    2. for Nvidia owners, using HBAO+ instead of default AO - this

3. improving textures fade in/out speed and texture streaming -

-open FateEngine.ini in C:\Users\*Your User name*\Documents\MY GAMES\MURDERED SOUL SUSPECT\FateGame\Config and find those variables:

MipFadeInSpeed0; MipFadeOutSpeed0; MipFadeInSpeed1; MipFadeOutSpeed1; MinTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount; MaxTimeToGuaranteeMinMipCount - set those to "=0"
    FLightPrimitiveInteractionInitialBlockSize; FModShadowPrimitiveInteractionInitialBlockSize - set those to "=2048"

4. In same folder open FateSystemSettings.ini and find this variable:

GhostGlow=True - set it to "=False". This will turn off "edge glow" on ghost objects and people. It will still ghostly glow and such but w/o glowing edges. See screens below...

EDGE GLOW ON ---

[​IMG]

EDGE GLOW OFF ---

[​IMG]

EDGE GLOW ON ---

[​IMG]

EDGE GLOW OFF ---

[​IMG]

...if you using more useful "ini" tweaks with this game, feel free to fill the gap and share.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  4. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Played a little of this today game has potential think a lot more could have been done with it. Also noticed that in some places it looks a little unfinished. But I cant complain seeing I picked it up for £13. One thing I've noticed at the start on the 4th floor im having my fps tanking when going near the window you can exit.

5. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Is there any way to have v-sync enabled *and* 60 FPS? If I enable v-sync in the game then it runs at 30 FPS, which is perfectly playable but I know that with v-sync off that the framerate is 130+ FPS (even maxed out at 1920x1200) so I would prefer 60 FPS. However, if I disable in-game v-sync and force v-sync via the NVIDIA Inspector game profile I created or D3DOverrider then there is an uncapped framerate and lots of tearing suggesting that forced v-sync is not working.

I'm guessing that there must be an INI setting that caps the framerate at 30 FPS?

6. biggyca

biggyca Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    Disable Vsync in-game
    Find FateEngine.ini in your documents/mygames/murdered soul suspect.
    Open FateEngine.ini and go down to where it says bsmoothframerate=False and change that to true.
    Next, find usevsync=False and change that to true.
    Make the FateEngine.ini file read only (right click > Properties > Read only)
    Run the game. Game now plays at 60fps.

7. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Thanks biggyca. :)

8. isidore

isidore Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080TI GamingOC
    thanks for the tweaks guys.

9. Darkkiz

Darkkiz New Member

GPU:
    Asus EAH6970 DCII 2048MB
    Just finished the game.
    + A good and intruing story
    + Solid graphics
    + Great voicecasting
    + Suprising ending
    - Length
    - Easiness

Overall I don't regret buying it but it wouldn't recommend to others at the current price.
    When its lowered (to "lets say half"), definitely get this !!

10. nanogenesis

nanogenesis Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 390X 1178|6350
    Whoever made this PC port knew what is a PC.

64bit executable, DirectX11.

Good graphics, but too many cutscenes. Game shift from good rendered graphics to pre-rendered 30fps cutscenes is very annoying.

I liked the story, game is a little easy but they probably had to do it for the console peasants.

11. Darren Hodgson

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    @ nanogenesis - I think that's why enabling v-sync in-game caps the framerate at 30 FPS so the engine runs at the same framerate as the cutscenes. Until you mentioned it I actually didn't even realise they were pre-rendered but I've checked the game folder and, yes, it has a Movies folder with dozens of cutscenes in Bink format. At least these are very good quality and 1080p I believe which are close to the 1920x1200 resolution I'm playing the game at (which explains why I've not really noticed it).

Don't know why but I'm enjoying the game more on my XBO than on PC.

12. slayer213

slayer213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 8 GB
    i am really enjoying this game. Playing this with a xbx360 controller and it is fun.

Not sure if its running at 60 fps/30 fps but its running quite smooth with everything maxed out n vsync enabled in the game itself. I will have a look though at the fix by biggyca.. would definitely want to run it at 60+ :)

13. slayer213

slayer213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 8 GB
    had a question though.. i just finished the part where I left the police station and need to probably go to the cemetary next. There was this Bell Tower investigation that I solved in the police war room which showed total 11 clues. I have 10 out of those and missed 1 of them and can't seem to now go back and get this 1 as there is no one present in the room now. This missing clue is the one where I take control of a cop who is sitting before a desktop and I probably peek or something.

Can I still get this somehow or have I missed it for good and it will continue to show 10/11 clues solved?

14. zefs

zefs Member

GPU:
    GTX 780
    I've also started playing it and seems interesting, taking it slow though. It's like an Alan Wake/LA Noire combo :p

15. slayer213

slayer213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 8 GB
    Yep exactly - seems like a combination of those two and I enjoyed both of them as well :)

16. Suppressed

Suppressed Guest

GPU:
    GTX560 TI 1gb
    I will take that Alan wake comment there.Yes, definitely it is like that.(Vibrations of haunted items :) )
    What is bad about the game is its easiness.
    -
    Other than this, graphics are awesome and so cute.
    Story is really thrilling.
    End is full of suprises.
    It is not possible to get back I assume,but hey its not that important because you were able to conclude what has happened,mission or whatever, that missing thing would have given you only some help to solve the problem, which you have already done.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
  17. slayer213

slayer213 Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! 8 GB
    Yeah i think we can't go back. Missed a couple of clues in the cemetary as well. I understand that it doesn't really matter as the case is solved but its just that completionistic tendency in me that I want to get all clues for a case! :)