No Microsoft Start Menu for Windows 8 until 2015

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Now that I started working month a go I can feel the pain of start menu it is just horrible and counter intuitive. (that damn windows 7 uh oh and even worse virtual windows xp) Cause of course development tools aren't fully functional in w7 yet -.-

To me this is good news actually that no start menu for w8.

2. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    I see this as good news, it means the next version of Windows will get the adequate noob menu and they aren't giving in like they did with the Xbox One & Kinect.

3. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    There is absolutely no way that the start menu is the most efficient way to navigate a userspace. I don't think the current Start in 8.1 is the best answer either, but for me it's way better than the start menu from 7, Vista, XP.

4. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I didn't think of that, I never play in windowed mode though. :p

+1

5. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    They really might as well not add it. There's plenty of free/paid fixes for people who care. I personally like classic shell because everything useful is organized into a neat menu.

6. Kevin cobley

Kevin cobley Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 3070
    Start Menu Who Cares

What's with all the start menu fetishist's, are they all so simple they can't figure out how to use a really SIMPLE, SIMPLE Interface.
    All those people that screamed and yelled they couldn't figure out where the "off Button was" when it stuck out like dogs balls.
    I just don't get it at all, I've had no problems with the 8 or 8.1 interface, just problems with a creaky old hard drive.
    The only really ****ty thing Microsoft did was not include DVD and Blu-ray play support in Windows Media player.
    The backup system is a bit Fawlty needs a bit of a fix (and get rid of useless crap like system restore, have not used that since XP like 7 or 8 years ago).
    Should have made reader the backup file system for mail and enabled attachments to pinned to the ends. (no good way to backup file mail), also should have enabled reader to store and read Word, WP and OO word docks.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  7. bryonhowley

bryonhowley Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 670 SLI
    The Start menu needs to stay gone for good.

8. Dch48

Dch48 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Nitro+ RX 470 4g
    Same here, Classic Shell can give you the Windows 7 experience with a better OS (8.1) under the hood.

However, I've always been a desktop icon user and never used the Start Menu that much. Usually it's only to get to utilities, settings, and things I don't use often. Even when just used for that, it's much better than the default Win 8/8.1 UI.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  9. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    The only way to get to "shut down" for a long time was to do the charm swipe, then go to settings, then power. You have to admit that was dumb. Having the start menu open a disjointed interface? That was dumb too. You can't blame people for wanting to work around stuff like that rather than "get used to it". Not everyone has time for that.

10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    i think it is a very good news...

it mean that next step is closer than they where thinking, and doesn't want to waste time for the "old" W8 stuff (ok it's 8.1.1 and it's far better than 8 ).

W8 will be like Wme or Vista...

11. S_IV

S_IV Guest

GPU:
    GTX Titan X (Maxwell)
    You remember the very early windows 8 betas? there was a profile picture at the very right side of the taskbar. Why don't they put it there to access to the beloved(!) start screen, and an improved start menu that lots of people used to on the left (by left clicking!). But whatever, they should get rid of all the metro stuff if you ask me. The idea of " One Windows, everywhere" is a great idea, but the execution of it has gone so bad so far.

12. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    I dont even use start menu much sense vista came out.

I pin my most used programs to the taskbar.

also im looking forward to windows 9.

i mean if windows 8 is fast.

is windows 9 going to be even faster.

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    since the begining of M$ what make them famous is "to have the choise", you should have the choise to use it or not... as you can use older windows in dos mode or W7 with original W2000 interface etc etc

remember the DNA: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4dVq5CgZ2bE&feature=kp

14. gloves085

gloves085 Guest

GPU:
    nVidia RTX 2080 ti
    Start Menu is for n00bs !

:banana:

Lol, seriously, I cannot understand how the lack of a start menu is a deal breaker... I work in IT support these days and sadly have to support XP up to Win 7 using 8.1 at home. I honestly can't remember the last time (in over a decade) when I routinely used the Start menu.

I do understand how casual users might like to follow a structured hierarchical interface to locate rarely used items, but fellow Gurus!?! Guys, wtf! It's a very inefficient way to get things done.

15. Rexob

Rexob Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 870m 3gb
    The Start Menu is NOT efficient, but I'm not using it because of that. There are plenty of programs I use sparingly where I do not find it necessary to pin to my start menu, desktop icon, or a folder on my desktop.

I enjoy a very clutter free UI only keeping the barest of necessities visible. I use photoshop once in a while to dabble with photos and edit wallpapers, but zero desire to place a shortcut for it anywhere "easily accessible". There are many other games and applications that I use, but maybe once or twice a month - not near enough for me to warrant adding an icon or shortcut somewhere visible on my desktop.

I use a 30" monitor at 2560x1600 and enjoy only seeing a very small handful of icons.

16. Valagard

Valagard Guest

17. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    I thought my Win 8.1 already had Start Menu. But I chose not to bother with it.

That's how much I miss Start Menu

18. Gorey

Gorey Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 970
    I can see why some people say they never use the start menu and instead just type the name of the program they want. It's because they are too lazy to organize their start menu. I literally cringe when i sit at someone elses PC, and their all programs menu unfolds to take up several screens worth. Ofcourse you don't miss it!!

My top level "all programs" menu has only 7 folders. They are categorized by the type of programs. And in those seven folders there are only links to the actual programs. No links to help files (you can access them from inside the program), or links to websites or other useless garbage.

I also get rid of shortcuts to programs that i never directly launch. .ie I launch my PDF reader by double clicking PDF files. I have no need for a shortcut to the program. etc. etc.

Literally, the first thing i do after installing a new program is to copy the program shortcut and paste it into one of my categories.. then delete the original folder. It's not that hard people.

19. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    organized....bfd
    sure I had had Start Menu organized, Games, Apps, System, Monitors, Utils, Multimedia...

1998. if remember correctly :D

20. uKER

uKER Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    What makes the start menu a screw up is its lack of cohesion with the rest of Windows.
    Any usage mechanics you may have gathered from using Windows is thrown out the board, requiring a mental switch to a new usage scheme that's as unnecessary as it is annoying.
    I bet if they had incorporated the tiles into the desktop (replacing the usual icons) with the regular right click context menus, they would have been fine.