NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Thanks for this. Added to OP

This is certainly fine. Whatever works for you.

TXAA 2x works pretty good, and FXAA on top might blur it just a tad bit more at native resolution, but it may also help smooth out some edges TXAA misses. :)

3. bloodindark

bloodindark Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 TI
    yeap , since txaa missess some edges , that fxaa doest (and vice versa), so they complement each other
    with everything else ultra , full hd , i get 55-60 fps , playable, if i set txaa to 4 and disable fxaa , i only get 45..not playable

4. frankgom

frankgom Guest

GPU:
    2 x NVIIDA GTX 780ti SLI
    Watch Dogs 1440p máximum settings in order to use sweetfx with readeonpro you have
    to enable fxaa for it to work even if my intention was just to sharpen the image a bit.

Finally here are two screenshot
    -First one uses 4txaa + 4xsgssaa + fxaa got beetwen 23-30 fps in game almost no stuttering
    -Second one 4txaa + fxaa 45-50 fps a lot of stuttering

I can't really explain what's happening with the framerate but belive me it's more playable at a constant 23-30 fps that with 50 fps and constant stuttering.

As far as image quality goes maybe it's difficult to tell by looking at screenshots but in game the first one looks really better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the nicest watchdogs pictures I've taken those just to show antialiasing

Last edited: May 28, 2014

5. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    i'm a little puzzled so i hope i'll get expert answer:

in nvidia control panel, do i leave my graphic card under double "pressure" if turn on both "fxaa" and "antialiasing-mode"? or it is better to turn on just one of these two?

6. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
  7. Marcel

Marcel Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming
    New drivers add AA profile for Dark Souls II (0x00401045 (Dark Souls II, Tao Yuan). Know someone which AA methods works? I try MSAA, SGSSA, SSAA...override/enhanced) but i do not see any AA

8. jujuom26

jujuom26 Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX 670 GIGABYTE O/C
    still nothing for Tropico 5 ?

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    As far as I know yes. But MSAA isn't the best in C3(Since enhancing MSAA with SGSSAA doesn't look so good)

TXAA+ SGSSAA may look a lot better though
    1st. You should be using Nvidia Inspector. NVCP doesn't really do the job.

2nd. FXAA no matter what isn't going to have a negative performance impact unless you are on super weak hardware.

3rd. Currently forcing a form of AA and forcing FXAA at the same time is broken. It was last working with 331.82. I have spoke with someone at Nvidia on the matter and it's been forwarded to the QA team.

My guess is MSAA, but you know, you'd really have to do an exact A/B Lossless comparison to see the difference.

DX9 game? Or DX11? Or OGL? You are free to try testing it yourself. I don't really have the time myself right now and I don't own the game. If there is a demo, I may be able to do something /shrug

10. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    TXAA + SGSSAA works as bad as MSAA + SGSSAA in Crysis3.

Tropico 5 is DX11 only.

11. jujuom26

jujuom26 Guest

GPU:
    SLI GTX 670 GIGABYTE O/C
    Sorry I didn't know that it's dx11 game.
    MrBonk, how can I test myself ? I need a flag or I can just test to force SGSSAA ?
    The game looks good by downsampling but the hud get smaller.

12. dreamlord

dreamlord Guest

GPU:
    GTX 650 1GB DDR5
    ok, but i still don't fully understood. atm, i have "fxaa" turned off, while "antialiasing-mode" is on application contolled.

so should i also turn on "fxaa" just in case for the games that support it or should i keep it turned off? i just don't want to put my GPU under double load if turn on "fxaa" also.

thanks in advance!

13. bloodindark

bloodindark Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1080 TI
    monochroma sgssaa flag 0x004010C1

14. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Wait wait. So enhanced SGSSAA works even in DX11 games?

15. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    Since Fermi. ;)

16. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    I take there is no such thing as FXAA + SGSSAA. :D

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    There certainly is.

FXAA+SGSSAA+Downsampling can work extremely well. But is not possible since it's broken currently. (Battlefield Bad Company 2 is one such game that benefits.)

SGSSAA doesn't always have the best Edge quality, so when downsampling FXAA can be used to clean up some of the edges pre-resolve and any blur is mitigated from downsampling.

It really just depends on the game. (Some games don't like it at all. Or it looks like ass)

The problems you run into, is like with a LOT of recent UE3 games, where FXAA is permanently fixed on or can only be disabled in a ridiculous manner.

Then SGSSAA is trying to be applied on top of the image after FXAA has been. And it just looks awful.

(Rise of the Triad, Flashback, Zeno Clash II, Dirty Bomb,Takedown RedSabre for example)

18. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It can, but results are often Mediocre due to poor MSAA.

19. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    I meant is as joke. Of course you can't enhance SGSSAA from FXAA. :)

Last edited: Jun 1, 2014
  20. MousE0910

MousE0910 Guest

GPU:
    nVidia GTX 780 Ti
    OK, I'm probably really dumb, but even after reading all the guides, looking here, looking in the german thread and reading all the guides there (with google translate) I'm still confused.

I see all the terms thrown around but I don't fully understand so if somebody could clear things for me, I'd be really grateful.

From what I understood, in nVidia Inspector it goes like this:

Antialising - Setting: Allows to set MSAA (and CSAA but no idea if or when I would want to use that) or Hybrid (HSAA) = SuperSampling (1x2 or 2x2) + MSAA. Correct or not?

Transparency Multisampling: No idea what I should do about it, enable or disable or if it's relevant at all

Transparency Supersampling = eitehr OGSSAA (ordered grid, but is labeled simply as "supersampling" in inspector) or SGSSAA (sparse grid supersampling)

I should have MSAA set at the same level as SGSSAA, but if I'm using OGSSAA, it doesn't matter.

However, if OGSSAA and SGSSAA are in the "transparency supersampling" option, then where exactly is TRSSAA (transparency supersampling)? If TRSSAA is the other option in "Transparency supersampling" then where is OGSSAA?

TL;DR MSAA, HSAA, SGSSAA, OGSSAA, TRSSAA = 5 options, I can find only 4 in nVidia inspector, where is the 5th one?

Thanks for any help