Haswell-E

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by RPGgamesplayer, May 4, 2014.

1. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    Hey guys thought i would open a thread about the up and coming x99 processors,
    anyone got news of a release date?

2. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Things seem to be a bit unclear so far. I'm interested myself, even considered using it as my next upgrade platform for a short time. Will be sticking with my original plan to wait it out until Skylake hits the shelves tbh.

3. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    I feel what you are saying, i don't have a original plan yet lol
    a bit of wishful thinking hoping it would turn up in June with haswell refresh k cpu's

4. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Fat chance of that happening. Rumors are suggesting a Q4 release.

5. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    September is a long way :(

6. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Agreed. Sooner the better for me. Itching to upgrade CPU & mobo and Haswell-E is definitely going to be my next move!

7. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    The only thing that kinda sucks by these 8cores is low base speed, all cores active end up @ 3GHz..
    And Im kinda sure it won't OC over 4.5ghz, even 4.5ghz sounds a lot with that 140-150W TDP stock

I wanted a true 8core but it took too long, so I end up with 4770k last summer which turns out is already 150-200% faster then my last q9450:)
    also Oc's nice 4.6ghz- 4,7ghz np and these Haswells really shine once you hit 4.5ghz+, per core performance goes crazy :nerd:

8. RPGgamesplayer

RPGgamesplayer Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI EVGA XC
    Its going to be a z97 and a 4970k for me then.
    Having no pc sucks lol

9. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Yeah, think you might be right. I'll decide whether to get a 6 or 8 core depending on the difference in overclocking. Definitely want more cores but that's gotta be balance with per core speed too.

10. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Q3 this year I've heard, though with any luck, maybe a bit sooner :p

11. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    I haven't heard much new on Haswell-E / X99 / LGA2011-3.

I think its safe to speculate about a few things though. Intel will likely keep the trifecta release of entry level processor at ~$300, midrange (K) at ~$550 to ~$600 and high-end (eXtreme) option at ~$1000 USD.

The entry level processor offering will likely have compromises like limited OC multipliers (or be completely locked) and perhaps fewer cores then its higher end options. So for example the entry level may have only 6 cores 12 threads and lower OC potential. The entry level may even be released at a later date or at least may not otherwise be available initially.

Mid range should be similar to the high-end extreme processor option save for cache size, standard / speed-step frequencies and interconnect speed.

X99 / LGA2011-3 Motherboards will probably be considered expensive starting at (perhaps) ~$400 MSRP with somewhat cheaper board becoming available later.

DDR4 pricing will likely be relatively high too and may not initially offer significant performance benefits over DDR3.

Newer tech like SATAe, M1 and so on should be present on these newer X99 boards. Maybe even Intel Thunderbolt 2 but no one seems to really care all that much about Thunderbolt.

12. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    Personally i feel we are approaching again another i7 980X kinda CPU, where it still holds its own today, at least on software that can use all their cores. I feel the 8 core K or X from Haswell E will last a good time, i dont see intel releasing a six core on their none E series, not even in Skylake.... and i dont see them going into 10 or 12 cores at least in the next two gens of E series.... so for me its a good time to upgrade. I only wish they would have released it with Sata Express.... i really dont care much about PCIe 4.0 even DDR4 i doubt we will see much of a performance increase.... but Sata Express, i really would like not to be capped with sata3, but i guess i can add in a card... but not what i would like to do.

Either way, im hopping intel sticks with the September release and no delays happen, wishing they don't do the 8 core only in the extreme CPU release, but a K would be what i hope. Maybe the K can have 3.0ghz base or 3.2, and the X can have a 3.4 or 3.6.... who knows.

13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I too feel they're sticking with quad cores for a long time to come. Haswell-E should be a monster! My only problem with it is that DDR4 will be very hard to find and at a hell of a premium.

14. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Well I think we will see some boards with SATAe, M1, M2 and so on. There will likely be fairly updated X99 / LGA2011-3 boards with features that people expect to see,....

Since Sandy Bridge-E and to a lesser extent Ivy Bridge-E had a somewhat compromised entry level processor (4 cores instead of 6) its fair to expect the same with Haswell-E. Its reasonable IMO to expect only 6 cores on the entry level if Intel doesn't stick it with only 4 cores. Or intel could go with 4 cores on the entry level, 6 cores on the mid (K) and 8 cores on the highest-end (X).

I was speculating 6 on entry level and 8 for mid as well as high-end but either way its something people will have to pay through the nose for. Intel isn't just going to give away a high-end Haswell-E entry level processor with 8 core / 16 threads for ~$300,.... I think we all can agree on that much,....

However, the point I was really trying to make is that many people avoided processors like Gulftown, Sandy Bridge-E and Ivy Bridge-E because the processors / platforms were considerably more expensive. Those who passed on Sandy Bridge-E / Ivy Bridge-E in favor of the more mainstream Sandy Bridge, Ivy Bridge, Haswell didn't necessarily make bad choice since these are great value performance options. However, it establishes a buying history that many are unlikely to break for Haswell-E.

Price is a big issue. If it wasn't then everyone would have triple or quad SLI / Crossfire configurations with the highest end cards.

Most people probably won't touch Haswell-E,.....

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  15. abula

abula Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4090 Strix
    I do agree with you on the points of pricing and this is not meant to be a mainstream platform, and that most will skip it in favor of mainstream chipsets like haswell refresh or braodwell.

But personally i think we are reaching a sweet spot, as it happen with the i7 980X, there are no six cores coming short term on mainstream platforms, and higher than 8 on E series is also highly unlikely short term, with no pressure from AMD on high end cpus, intel will continue to draw small increments, focus more in consumption, and not where it matters.... but out of not having anyone to put pressure, its just them that compete with each other from gen to gen. If Haswell E has sata express, ill probably will bite, maybe even without it... although i might think about it some into craving the newer ssds that will be launch on 2015.... but overall i do think this 8 cores will last for a while, probably 3+ years, im just hopping i don't have to dish $1000 for the 8 core, and they release the middle cpu at $600 with 8 cores.

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I kinda doubt we will see a sub 300$ 6core cpu, would be great though, more like 400-500$ and 8core 650-800$.

Haswell-e is only 6 & 8 core variant..

Skylake lga1151 is still 4 core, but then there is also Skylake-e

Maybe it will be compatible with current X99, since its already DDR4 ready.

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  17. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Tempted to try and grab an 8 core 2011 xeon on ebay if I can get one cheap, give it a go :D

18. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I reckon it will be compatible, 2-3 goes maximum for each extreme motherboard and then its a dead socket is the norm usually.

19. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    2 for X58, even though we did get a good 3-4 years out of it. Good platform, that. Intel's last truly overclocker-friendly chipset.

20. Octavean

Octavean Guest

GPU:
    GTX960 / GTX670 / GTX760
    Actually I think people could get about ~5+ years out of modern systems given the way CPU performance increases have leveled off in favor of efficiency. I don't think its so much the lack of competition on the high-end from AMD more so then the increased demand and competition with respect to the mobile / ultra mobile space.

Anyway, I strongly believe that past strategies are the best indication of future actions. Therefore I think it likely that Intel will give you that ~$550 to ~$600 USD 8 core / 16 thread midlevel Haswell-E CPU.

Thats the one I would go for myself if I were buying one but I am unsure if I'll upgrade from my current Core i7 3930K / Asus P9X79 Deluxe platform anytime soon,...

If anything I'll probably need a video card upgrade since my fastest card is a GTX670. It didn't really bother me until I bought a new Samsung U28D590D 28" single stream 60Hz 4K monitor. Its a great monitor but it really can stress even the fastest cards. Desktop use is great but game settings need to be realistically lowered at 3840x2160.

Anyway, my estimates for pricing of a new Haswell-E based system is as follows (names are made-up):

Core i7 5970X - ~$1000

Core i7 5930K - ~$550 to ~$600

Core i7 5820 - ~$300

X99 / LGA2011-3 motherboard - ~$400

DDR4 8GB DIMM - ~$??? not really sure but depending on speed you might be looking at ~$130 to ~$150 to start. Thats just a guess I pulled out of the air. So mid level Haswell-E based system build might be something like:

CPU- ~$600
    Motherboard - ~$$400
    DDR4 RAM - ~$150

Total ~$1150

For a lot of people thats money better spent on a cheaper mainstream CPU / motherboard and RAM allowing for more money to be spent on a badass video card setup. Like the upcoming GTX 880 Ti or R9 390X or whatever they will be called,...