AMD Launches its Ambidextrous Computing Roadmap

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 5, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    AMD today announced a roadmap of near- and mid-term computing solutions that harness the best characteristics of both the x86 and ARM ecosystems, called "ambidextrous computing." The corne...

AMD Launches its Ambidextrous Computing Roadmap

2. elpsychodiablo

elpsychodiablo Master Guru

GPU:
    Retina Z2 + Vlab Motion
    So in future AMD switch to server market and Intel dominate the desktop market, then we can buy i-3 CPU´s for 300$ :D

3. DesGaizu

DesGaizu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS 3060TI
    Finally some cpu's for left handed people, bout time!

4. partyface86

partyface86 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7870 @ 1200/1500
    That is what i`m afraid of too. If AMD leaves the desktop and server market than we are in big trouble. As from the looks of things AMD already abandoned the high end segment completely and tries to compensate it with "12 core" HSA, and who knows if it will ever takeoff.

Let`s hope that this will not be the case.

5. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    [​IMG]

Source :- WCCF.

Doesn't sound like they are leaving the desktop market.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    That is my first thought to when i read the thread title.

I dont buy it till i see actual proof of chip, I might hate AMD as far as there CPU go, but as far as desktop performance chips go, they been long dead/in hiding they havent had cpu that could compete ghz for ghz in long time. I will give them multi thread/core though they excel at that.

Intel need compition to keep moving forward and not get the idea that they can charge more

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  7. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    new x86 high performance processors: ( along as is little sister ARM x64 high performance processors ( not the type we seen based on ARM architectures right now, they will share many things with the x86 architectures processors ( same coherent L3 caches etc, high frequencies and way bigger in size of the actual ARM ).
    http://techreport.com/review/26418/amd-reveals-k12-new-arm-and-x86-cores-are-coming

On the servers front, i think the point is to been able to use simultaneously x86 processors and ARM in the same system, on same board, or on different blades, but with the same x86 systems hardware, sharing gpu computing with GCN architectures ...

What do you dont buy ? that they will release new processors or that they will perform good ? for the first it is sure, for the second we will need wait more information...

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  8. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I dont buy that they will release a cpu that can COMPETE with intel offering they haven't had one that could compete clock for clock for very long time.

9. xIcarus

xIcarus Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Gamerock
    ?
    high end i7s trash amd's 8core solutions. the only thing amd have going for them is the price point. it doesn't seem to me that they excel at anything cpu-related atm.. and it's bad. as you said, intel needs some competition. just like nvidia moved their asses and optimised the hell out of their dx11 drivers because mantle.

10. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    On this point, we will need to wait and see.. some design choice have been made on past who have not pay, including high cores numbers / CPU in server space.

Maybe they will learn from them, maybe not.

I find more interessant today what happend between all the actors of the semi-conductor Industry and AMD....

Last edited: May 7, 2014