Far Cry 3 - Graphical Tweaks & Problem Solving

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by NeoEnigma, Dec 3, 2012.

1. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Gonna say consoles, even U3E based games sometimes have the basic shadow and texture ********* features turned off for the PC port from console.

What happens if you use FRAPS or MSI Afterburner, does it report different FPS to what PX is showing.

2. clayhurst

clayhurst Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 760/2 Gb
    A Tale of Two Computers - 560 Ti plays better than 760

It was the best of times. It was the worst of times.

So, I have two computers
    old rig I want to retire - I5-750 @ 2.67GHz/8 Gb/EVGA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    new rig - I7-950/24Gb/EVGA GeForce GTX 760

So, from the very beginning my 760 has struggled to play FC3 under dx11 even with the same video and quality settings (see my earlier post). When I first put the card into the I7 it was choppy and newer drivers on everything has not helped. With the same Nvidia drivers, the 560 Ti is still playing better in the I5.

Any of you Guru's understand that? :bang: Does it help me diagnose the problems with my 760?

Update: What may be going on is that under DirectX 11, FC3 does not use the multi-threading on the GPU for 760 correctly and that is why it plays better on my 560 Ti card. And also why it plays better when I allow dx11 to use multi-threading on my CPU to take some of the load.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Yeah, the 7 series is a joke, thats why im still on 580s.
    Not really, im just poor... well,(*Looks at sig*)...ish

If its just FC3 that the 760 is having trouble with, then its either the game or the drivers. Even though the game works on your 560 with X driver, doesnt mean you going to get the same or better with 760 using that same driver.

Try different SLI bits, try another OS if you can.

The 760 is a fair bit faster than the 560, so really it just comes down the game, the driver or maybe a re-install of FC3 on your 760 rig.

Basing the performance of your cards on one game alone isnt going to help the issue, you need to try a few others and report back whether or not this is an issue with all your games.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  4. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    I know this aint much help but I've not had problem with fc3 and my 760 maxed out its very smooth so maybe something on your system?

5. clayhurst

clayhurst Guest

GPU:
    Are you using direct x 11 or 9? If I dumb it down then it works. But my original post still applies - swapping the cards and everything else the same the 760 couldn't handle it.

6. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    When you swap the 560 out for the 760, do you do a proper driver clean and then reinstall.

Do you have the same problem with any other games.

7. antonyfrn

antonyfrn Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 4070 SUPER
    DX11 everything max settings

8. clayhurst

clayhurst Guest

GPU:
    No problems in other games, including Batman Arkham Origins, Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim and Crysis. Yes I did a clean install up to the latest driver released 1/7/14. If it is my system then it is specifically with 760 card and Far Cry 3.

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I finally got arround playing this game, and damn I regret I didn't do it sooner. It's just that I loved FC1 but disliked FC2 quite a bit... but this one was on a whole different level (for me). Story, voice acting, atmosphere and everything, I even went ahead and got 100% completion. Now, I'm looking way more forward to FC4 than I did 1 month ago. :nerd:

10. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Oh yes, its still rocking - and i never finished it lol xD

Played it again yesterday since i got my shiny new gtx780 3GB installed. Well, performancewise you still cant go full details & fx without getting stuttering. (im running 2560x1440)

I settled with all details on full except vegetation, put that on very high 'only'.

HBAO sets back performance big time, i went with HDAO - SSAO looks too Borderlandish for me.

Anyone up for COOP sessions in FC3? Could be fun to play through while waiting for WatchDogs.

11. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Nice..

12. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yea it runs great for me as well, same resolution, it only happend once or twice that I got the stutter, but after I restared the game it went away. Also, I am up for coop, I want to do all coop missions for the achievments! I'm Solfaur on steam and Solfaur89 on uplay. :nerd:

13. ])rStrangelove

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Roger, i'll add you when home (3 hours). I'm DocStrangeluv or something. :p

14. dope18

dope18 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 570
    set...

Set that PostFX down to Medium and it will increase your FPS GREATLY!

I average 50 to 60FPS with that on medium Geometry on Ultra and everything else on VERY HIGH settings ( unless the setting only goes up to HIGH)

And I agree...I have been SLLOWWLLYY playing this game because I think its AWESOME and don't want it to end. Graphics ahead of its time and its alot of fun just roaming around. GTA on an tropical island basically.

good sense of humor..solid game writing...a all around fantastic package.

15. scrapser

scrapser Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080 Ti
    I won't say much here. Just got to the south map in FC2 and getting ready to chaperone the barge full of arms to Mosate Selao. This will require hand grenades, a grenade launcher and a machete to complete the mission without firing a pistol or long arm. I want to keep my accuracy rating as high as possible so using any automatic weapons is a no-no. I will also be doing a lot of swimming.

16. HonoredShadow

HonoredShadow Ancient Guru

GPU:
    msi 4090
    Thanks for the tip about PostFX. Worked a treat with out sacrificing much at all.

I'm almost at the end now. Have enjoyed taking my time with this one.

17. dope18

dope18 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 570
    no prob

Post FX I think was one extra setting too many they added into that game that they really didn't need.

18. ])rStrangelove

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    Post Fx is kinda responsible for enabling several different effects as you set it higher. If you set it to low you'll loose shadow effects i think (HDAO/HBAO), distance blur for the horizon, and motion blur.

19. dope18

dope18 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Geforce GTX 570
    I thought...

I thought the same thing…I set it to Ultra and to low to see the difference and
    I still get motion blur either way, Distance blue, etc….

The only difference I saw was at a higher settings I would get a shimmering effect noticeable in trees when I moved around. Almost as if it
    was making the tress too sharp.It looked terrible.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014