What is the next upgrade after GTX 690?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by TaskMaster, May 1, 2014.

1. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    As the title says guys.

I feel like my vram on this is limited. I've seen people have better performance in some cases with titan because of the 6gb vram.

Let me know please. I received a bonus from work and I'm hungry for an upgrade.

Look at my specs. Can i improve anything?

thank you.

2. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    If you like dual GPU solutions wait for the 790 imo.

3. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Or if your bonus is big enough and your prepared to switch grab a R9 295x!

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    That thing still get's insanely hot, even on water.

Not to mention it pulls 700 Watts from the wall on a OCed X79 system.

Id say wait for the 790.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    You have a god tier PC .. there's not much room for improvement :p What res? How many monitors do you game with? I'd go for a Titan Black if you really want more VRAM.

6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    wouldn't recommend x295 but niether titanz. logical upgrade would be 790 or titanz, if titanz was actually 1000$.

As for now ur gpu is super, 690 is best dual gpu ever released, almost perfect since day 1. stay put, wait for maxwell big boys u have lot of GPU power.

7. either wait for Maxwell or go for Z or 295x. 790 wont be released.

I would prefer the 1st option. SLI them and gg,

8. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    When was that announced?

9. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    Z is going to be $3000? OH LAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWDDDDDDDDDDD:banana:

10. southamptonfc

southamptonfc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 OC
    I would feel in quite a difficult position if I had the 690 at the moment....

An overclocked 780TI and Titan Black will perform at about the same (sometimes better, sometimes worse) than the 690.

If you want a quick fix, the 780TI will do it but wont be as futureproof at the Titan Black. Having said that, when Maxwell comes out, I would probably feel I spent too much on the Titan Black.

TBH, if you really need to upgrade and your rig can handle it, the best thing seems to be 2 290Xs in crossfire right now.

11. Titan black and TI are the same gpus

12. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Not worth upgrading from 690 unless you buy 2x titans or 2x 780's.
    Buying only one is a sidegrade and you may actually lose performance.
    Stick with what you have until a more worthwhile upgrade comes along, or do what i did and stick a custom water block on it to get much more out of it.

13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  14. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    If you really want to buy something now, then either switch to AMD and get a pair of 290X or get a pair of 780 Ti and hope 3gb is enough for you

If you can wait, get a couple of the 6gb versions of 780 /780 Ti

The dual GPU cards seem a bit pointless to me unless you're pressed for space

15. gamerfragger

gamerfragger Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780
    What are you using it for?

16. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    There are other benefits if you sli another dual card, you get 4 GPU's running in 2 Physical slots which means lots of power in a small space. You could go with 4 physical cards but the chances of getting 4 of these that OC well on water is slim. With Dual cards the chips are cherry picked so OC you get on one you should also get on another.

Not to mention buying 4 waterblocks instead of 2 which is much more expensive and in increased energy useage. Dual cards have there benefits, the problem with the 690 is that its vram is 2GB which aint a problem atm but buying another 690 or even another 3GB card at this point in time is pointless considering he already has a 690. The smartest decision for anyone with a 690 is wait unless you want to burn your money which is fine:)

17. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Hmm, i guess its different from person to person, but im finding the 2gb vram to be quite a problem... bf4 in 1440p eats it up even without msaa... then if i turn on msaa, i get microstuttering, due to the vram limitation.

Its the same case in many other new titles... even older ones like skyrim.

Regardless, im waiting for better offerings aswell... i was hoping that the upcoming 880 Card would have a gm210 chip, but it looks like they are pulling the same trick they did with 680, and only giving the 880 a midrange gm204 chip... and im not buying another crippled chip, thats only got 256 bit bus.

So i guess ill have to jump ship this time, unless nvidia stops the milking (which seems unlikely).

18. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Let's not start this crippled chip nonsense again. Unless you have proof that nvidia released the GK104 when the GK110 was fully ready to be released then you are only perpetuating a lie.

BTW the memory bus is not the only thing when it comes to performance the 580 had a 384bit bus and has its ass handed to it by the 660ti with only a 192bit bus.

19. Dorlor

Dorlor Guest

GPU:
    2x evga 780 ti sc acx
    Youre right, i dont have any proof of that being the case, but it does seem awfully suspicious.

Anyways, the 660 ti is vastly surpirior to the 580, but mainly due to the new architecture, and the much larger amount of cuda cores... in the memory bandwidth department, it can keep up due to the faster memory, despite of it its very small bus.
    Regardless, the 660 ti is too crippled bus wise, to be any good past 1080p. Its not a coincidence that the amd Cards always perform better than the nvidia Cards at higher resolutions... its cause all the amd Cards have a higher bus bit, than their rival Cards from nvidia.

But one can hope that nvidia will go back to using 512 bit busses on their top Cards, like they used to in the past.

20. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    Yes i agree if i max the MSAA on bf4 it went over the Vram limit so i dropped the msaa (ingame) to 2xMSAA and all is good.

Skyrim with heavy modding also cripples the 690 on the vram.

Any other game is fine maxxed out, however i can only see vram useage increasing in the future especially if your using SGSSAA.