Sony PS4 thread

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by WhiteLightning, Feb 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I'm probably going to wait a week or two after release to hear some opinions on how the PS4 version stacks up vs PC.

Hopefully the PC version isn't a horribly optimised mess.

2. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    Now there's speculation that MSFT may slow production down (not a good sign this early). Though it makes sense; a backlog of ~800,000 on store shelves, plus an estimated 4 Million in stock waiting to be shipped (assuming 1 Million produced per month, starting September 2013). Not good for MSFT.

They need to cut prices to $349, and eat the losses. They simply aren't competitive at their current price.

Worse, Sony's about to get its first party titles to hit, which should give a decent boost.

3. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
  4. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Tbh after the ps3 having 512mb I thought before the ps4 and x1 4gig would have seemed reasonable.

5. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Well even from 8GB roughly only up to 5.25GB is available for games. With 4GB it wouldn't have been much of an upgrade from the PS3.

6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    The ps3 only had 256MB avalible for graphics.

7. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    I would guess they would scale back the UI a bit in that case, but yeah, would have severely crippled it.

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    And that should have any bearing on a new system because?

9. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    I think he is just giving a comparison between the two. The hardware performance leap is massive. Also goes to show just show old the last gen console are.

10. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Doesn't matter, a 4GB PS4 wouldn't be able to fulfill the demand of 1080/30 let alone 60 as the retail version with 8GB itself isn't guaranteed to pull it off. This is not even taking into account the online and multimedia features expected from this generation at the get go unlike older ones. Just because the previous model is old doesn't mean the new one's spec sheet should look just good enough in front of it.

Heck, with the PC like architecture I hope they make frequent refreshes over the decade with spec bumps so that these big bangs every 5-8 years aren't so painful for all parties concerned.

11. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
  12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Sorry quoted you by accident. Meant to quit the post above you that said the PS3 had 512MB.

13. Strikerx80

Strikerx80 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    eVGA 980 Ti SC +120/+300
    i have been thinking this as well. but i didnt buy a damn 780ti for nothing. i will most likely get it for pc. it should run better on pc with equal settings if you have atleast a 770

14. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    The PS4 version is capped at 30fps so it would not surprise me if even on my old card i could run it on similar settings to the PS4 at 1080/30.

The PS4 version does have a resale value though, which i would factor in in-case i got bored of the game quickly.

15. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I would not worry too much about the GPU side of the engine, but the CPU side may prove to be a bottleneck. They are suggesting 8 threaded CPU's.

16. gamerk2

gamerk2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA 570 GTX 1.2 GB
    The CPU side WILL be a bottleneck going forward. Games do not scale well; never have and never will, by virtue of their design. Those weak CPU cores, long term, are going to make this one of the least impressive gaming generations we've ever had, in my opinion.

Frankly, I think the HW in these machines will end up causing a 1983 style collapse of the industry. Too much glut, plus weak HW, plus not a huge advantage over the previous gen, plus the decline of PC's equals an unsustainable market.

17. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    It's been a unsustainable market for a good few years now. You can tell that by the quality of the titles being produced. Most are just rehashed titles with another number added on the end it make it sound new. The PS4 is vastly superior to the PS3 in every way. It's a big leap forward in terms of what developers can now create. The quality of the indie games so far is great, and a step in the right direction.

18. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    When I look at games like god of war 3, the last of us, infamous 2, uncharted, killzone, on the ps3 it puts into some perspective what games could be like ps4.

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yes and the only real first party AAA title we have received so far is Infamous: Second Son and Killzone. If that'd an indication of what this console can do that's good just wait till Polyphony Digital or Naughty Dog get their titles out. Interested to see what is shown at E3 this year.

20. ElementalDragon

ElementalDragon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVidia RTX 4090 FE
    I dunno... Second Son didn't really impress me that much. I mean yea... it's pretty, and it's fun. But as i said earlier, it is odd to make a game that FINALLY gives you control over not only something other than electricity, but to basically be able to have every power unlocked and for the most part maxed out before you get out of the first area.... kinda a buzzkill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.