Thoughts on this rig for gaming and working (RAM undecided)?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Nazgulled, Apr 26, 2014.

1. Nazgulled

Nazgulled Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780 OC 3GB
    So, I've pretty much decided on the hardware for my next gaming/working rig but I'm no expert so I'd like you guys opinion...

This machine will replace my laptop which is slow and I no longer have use for a personal laptop. This is for games and working, that is programming (Android mostly) and photography (hobby). When time allows, I also like to play a bit with video/3D, but that's completely secondary.

For now, I've settled on the following:

CASE: Cooler Master N500 (w/ Window)
    PSU: XFX TS 650W
    BOARD: Gigabyte G1.Sniper Z87
    CPU: Intel core i5 4670K
    RAM: See below...
    GPU: Gigabyte GTX770 OC 2GB

You might notice the SSD is missing... That's because I'm going to use the one from my laptop - the Samsung 480 Pro 256GB - which I bough last year. I don't need additional HDDs as I have a NAS with enough storage.

As for the RAM, I'm undecided because I'm not sure what's my best choice here. Well, after researching a bit I've settled on the following:

• 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHZ TRIDENT X (CL7) [F3-1600C7D-16GTX] 150,60 €
    • 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1866MHZ TRIDENT X (CL8) [F3-1866C8D-16GTX] 165,85 €
    • 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133MHZ TRIDENT X (CL9) [F3-2133C9D-16GTX] 159,95 €
    • 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2400MHZ TRIDENT X (CL10) [F3-2400C10D-16GTX] 156,85 €

My question is, should I go for the one with higher frequency or the one with lower latency? Or maybe something in between? I understand very little about this... As for the price, the difference between them all is not that much and even if I pick the most expensive one from those four above, I'm 8€ below my 1000€ budget :D

Ultimately, my questions are:

1. Which RAM kit should I pick from the list above? Or maybe something else entirely?
    2. Would you change anything in the configuration above?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Higher ram frequency is a bit of a gimmick. The following is access time for each in nanoseconds(if i´m not mistaken):

7/1600=0,004375
    8/1866=0,004287
    9/2133=0,004219
    10/2400=0,00416

Some aplications do use higher bandwith, and since the prices are pretty much the same, i advice you get the fastest ram you can with the lower timings possible. Plus take notice, since you´re going with a overclockable cpu, that higher ram speed might limit your cpu overclock depending on your motherboard.

3. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I would go the DDR-2133 or the DDR-2400. Ivy Bridge and Haswell processors make use of faster RAM much better than Sandy Bridge or older, so many RAM speed comparisons are irrelevant since they were done on the older architectures.

The Z97 boards are out shortly, with the new K processors such as i5-4690K coming out in June. Z97 boards are compatible with current Haswell CPU'S. The new Haswell refresh CPUs supposedly overclock better. I notice you haven't listed a cooler. An aftermarket solution is basically a requirement, and if you want to overclock it is vital. Lots of different solutions out there.

4. Nazgulled

Nazgulled Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780 OC 3GB
    I'm confused. You say higher frequency is just a gimmick but 10/2400=0,00416 is the lowest value of the bunch... Is it gimmick because those values are pretty much the same?

How exactly would you pick one from the two since they are barely the same price?

Wouldn't the new boards and CPUs be a little pricier? That may go over my budget and the benefit wouldn't be so great, would it? At least from what I could gather in a quick research about the Haswell refresh and the new Z97 boards.

But does it really make sense to wait since I'm buying a new computer and not upgrading an old one? I mean, there's always the next best thing around the corner and I could be waiting forever... See what I mean? Or it's not the case here?

As for the overclocking... I picked the K CPU because it basically fitted my budget and the price difference from the non-K CPU was not that big of a deal. I don't intend to overclock as soon as I buy the CPU but I might in the future, as to avoid buying a new CPU for a little while longer. So, I'll get an aftermarket cooler when I need one. However, does this make any sense? Should I just skip the K CPU if I don't intend to overclock until I feel the need to extract more juice from the CPU? That could be like 2 years or so. Should I just go with the non-K CPU, even if the price difference is not that much (at least on this specific i5)?

One last question... If I choose to go with a non-K CPU (or if I don't intend to overclock for a couple of years), is there a point in getting a RAM kit above 1600MHZ or that would be pointless?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014

5. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    For RAM I'd go with the 2133MHz kit and the K series CPU for sure. Personally I wouldn't use or even recommend the stock cooler, it's garbage.

Higher frequency RAM really only show improvements during benchmarks and a small amount of games may get an increase of a frame or two... really tho, you'd never notice the difference between any of those kits during regular usage and gaming.

Waiting is optional. If you're within a month or two of a product release and you don't need to replace your machine, it would be silly not to wait IMO. We won't know what affect the refresh will have on current pricing; chances are it will be only a few more dollars then the SKU it's replacing and current prices will hover around where they are currently.

Better to have that overclocking option available for when you do decide to oc; it's a small cost now compared to replacing it later on with another oc model. CPU core speed will have much more impact on performance compared to memory frequency.

6. Nazgulled

Nazgulled Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780 OC 3GB
    Someone pointed me this:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7364/memory-scaling-on-haswell

So I think I'm going with the 2400MHZ kit.

As for the CPU, I'll probably wait for the Haswell refresh in May and see what happens to the prices... But I don't think I'll wait for that same 'K' refresh in June. We'll see...

Honestly, about overclocking, I don't think I really care much about that and I've already stepped back on my 'K' choice. However, this is just a pre-selection of components. Whenever I really decide to hit the "purchase" button I'll review everything and see which CPU to pick.

Thanks for everyone's opinions so far, they have been most helpful :)

7. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    A safe, reasonable overclock with no / not much overvolting is a free performance increase, nothing less.

8. Nazgulled

Nazgulled Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780 OC 3GB
    Not sure what you are getting at with that. Care to explain it further please?

9. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

Overclocking is free (if you have a K processor), and 20 percent is a 'typical' overclock that you can achieve.

That is a 20 percent performance boost for the cost of... nothing!

Of course you need better cooling, but you need better cooling than the standard stock cooler anyway. I wouldn't be doing too much CPU stressing or heavy gameplay with the standard cooler. Providing it is more of a token gesture, and they include it in the price plus that 'little extra money for themselves'.

10. Nazgulled

Nazgulled Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780 OC 3GB
    I wouldn't say "for the cost of nothing". Depending on the model, the 'K' CPU could be expensive, add to that the aftermarket cooler and all that could go well over my budget. Sure, it's a performance boost, sure the extra money could be well worth it, but it's not a performance boost for nothing.

As for better cooling, I've read multiple opinions saying otherwise (if I don't overclock), but I've also read multiple opinions recommending one. I'd say it's 50/50.

But say I'd want to get an aftermarket cooler, which one would you guys recommend? Can you give me multiple choices for different price ranges?

11. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    this one, and this one are both on the high end spectrum of air cooling. Of course, you could also go self-contained liquid cooling (like the Corsair H100i or H110, etc). I'm not too great with the mid range coolers. Of course, you'd just be looking for a single tower cooler. I believe this cooler is well regarded for being a little more mid-end, although I think that price doesn't include any fans, so you're pretty much better off with one of the higher end ones.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2014
  12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    If you are on a tight budget for an aftermarket cooler you could always go with a Cooler Master Hypo 212 EVO http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099 which is a pretty good cooler for the price. If you are interested in liquid cooling then the H100i from Corsair is the way to go because it is decently priced and it does a nice job.

13. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

The Corsair H100i is overpriced here, the Coolermaster Nepton 280L is around the same price and is a better cooler. I would even take the NZXT Kraken X60 over the Corsair H100i, at least over here :).

They're all high end coolers though, and will probably blow the budget. They are wasted in some regards on current Haswell's, they will shine a lot brighter with Haswell Refresh (if Intel's claims are correct).

This is probably the best value for money air cooler. I said best value for money, not the best!
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233029

You might have to get that elsewhere though. It's what I've got actually. If I were building a system now (well, if I were to get a Haswell Refresh), I'd go all out and get the Nepton 280L, but for an air cooler, the Dark Knight Knight Hawk edition is exceptional value. Mind you, I am using different fans that the stock fans, but even so it was still a lot cheaper than the Noctua NH-D14.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2014
  14. Nazgulled

Nazgulled Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780 OC 3GB
    Lots to choose from... :)

I'm at work now, will take a better look tonight when I get home.

But I'll probably buy one of these in a couple of months down the road (and then I can go to a higher-end one) and not when I buy the computer parts. You guys probably disagree, but the stock cooler is probably sufficient for a couple of months without overclocking. And I'm not going to play every single day, so... :p

One thing though, I was never really comfortable with water cooling, are they really worth it over air cooling?

15. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Don't waste time and money with cooling and overclocking.

You don't need overclock unless you benching or running very heavy batches.
    And you can easily ruin your work cause of bad overclock settings.

Stock cooler will do the job just fine. And don't really bother with memory, just go for best cost performance.

If your GPU was 2x780, I would suggest fastest RAM and decent OC.
    With Gigabyte GTX770 OC 2GB, there little chance your CPU will hold your back.

If you need more power (unlikely), just buy a decent cooler and OC your CPU.

16. Nazgulled

Nazgulled Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX780 OC 3GB
    This is fun :D

17. clawhamer

clawhamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I'll put my gloves on... haha

18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    If you really don't know what to do with your money, go on.

19. kislotikas

kislotikas Guest

GPU:
    8800GT Zilent OC 512MB
    Cooler Master Hypo 212 EVO ~25-30 Eur. Not too expensive considering 160Eur for RAM.
    I say switch that stock immediately.

20. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    As I mentioned before. Just get rig and if you really need aftermarket cooler, you can purchase it after.

No need to hurry to waste money.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014