HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. yosef019

yosef019 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 ti
    thanks

2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  3. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
  4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    HBAO+ in Afterfall insanity is impossible because it has the typical UE3 SSAO permanently on no matter what. The only solution would be to somehow compile a new shader and potentially a new shader cache.

6. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I did some more HBAO+ testing in ME2, and it appears "0x0000002F" also works very well in this UE3 game: http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10113997&postcount=5491
    I suggest we keep "0x00000020" in the HBAO+ list for ME2 and designate it as "strong", and add "0x0000002F" as a more "moderate" AO alternative.

Also please keep the same reference for ME2, and change the the reference for "Aliens: Colonial Marines" to this: http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10187423&postcount=77
    Nice job with the new references btw, the HBAO+ list is really shaping up well at this point :cheers:

7. KingK76

KingK76 Guest

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    Ya I also read the article on PC Gamer and tried that profile and no luck! I tried to post on NeoGAF but it won't let me! Anyway I have tried with turning off the in game SSAO and with it turned on and no luck. I have used the AO in Inspector many times and have never had a problem... It's driving me nuts! I even tried to turn off Afterburner thinking mybe it was effecting it but no luck. Help someone! The SGSSAA profile works so I know that i am using the right .exe and even when I turn AO on in N.I. it shows my GPU usage go up but no AO!!!! Very frustrated right now...:bang: Oh and one other thing. He says in the PC GAmers article to use the "Quality" setting. I also use "High Quality" because my system can handle it. But It even tried just using "Quality" and no luck (also tried "High Quality" same result). Grrrr.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  8. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
  9. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    It is possible to disable the SSAO in Afterfall Insanity.

No AO

SSAO

Setting "AmbientOcclusion" to false in the "RascalEngine.ini" in your Documents folder has no effect, you have to disable them in the "RascalCompat.ini" located in the same folder.

10. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    Do you have SGSSAA and HBAO+ on at the same time as well as having the HUD hidden?

If you enable SGSSAA as well as HBAO+ and hide the HUD the HBAO+ will be turned off, If you press escape to bring the menu up the HBAO+ will turn on, when you press escape again though to close the menu the HBAO+ will turn off.

I have made 2 videos of it (I tested 0x004412C1 as well as 0x000012C1 but the results were the same)

SGSSAA On

SGSSAA Off

If you enable SGSSAA and HBAO+ but leave the HUD on the the HBAO+ will be enabled but it will turn off and on at different angles. The HBAO+ will work fine though with the HUD on or off if you disable SGSSAA.

I am surprised Durante or NVIDIA never mentioned it

11. Pixelbrecher

Pixelbrecher Guest

GPU:
    gtx780oc gtx580PhysX
    Make i something wrong? Some of the flags are turn on/of permanently.

So the`re: Mass Effect 2,3
    Enslaved - Odyssey to the west
    DayZ (very strong flickering, ingame ao turned off)

:/

12. KingK76

KingK76 Guest

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    What I want to know is... Do you use the in-game SSAO combined with the Nvidia Inspector method or do you turn off the in-game to get it to work? I have tried both and neither work. I have also tried with SGSSAA of and it still doesn't work. I ended up trying GeDoSaTo and I was able to get that mods version of AO working. I have NEVER been not able to get AO to work when a game allows for it. It is VERY frustrating. I have tried about 8 different combinations of methods and nothing. The HUD on and off... NOTHING. Turn off SGSSAA.... NOTHING. Turn off Afterburner... NOTHING. Turn off and on the in-game SSAO.... NOTHING. Use a different flag (Call of Duty Modern Warfare, Fallout 3, Modern Warfare 2, Demigod...)... NOTHING. Tried using Performance, Quality and High Quality AO settings.... NOTHING. This has never happened before. I still can't figure it out. But alas Durante says that his GeDoSaTo version of AO is even better then the Nvidia version so i'm currently using that. But I would still like to figure out why it isn't working with N.I. Plus the SGSSAA flag causes lines to run through the screen in many different parts of the game. It's very distracting and I stopped using it due to that. Plus I found the SLI flag that is going around (0x02506405) caused parts of the game to be way too bright and various textures to flicker like crazy. So I am currently doing nothing with N.I and all mods are being done through GeDoSaTo. BTW, I am running an i3770k@4.8GHz, 8GB DDR3@2400MHz and 2 GTX480's at 857MHz core and 2020MHz Memory. And I am using beta driver 337.50. :bang:

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    OH... MY God. I didn't even think of this. Thank you so much! This may fix my issue with ZenoClash II as well if I look for that.

Also: It's AMAZING that Nvidia finds posting Durante's AA and HBAO+ information Soooo news/article worthy. Yet everything we do, and asking for SGSSAA support in DX11. They are completely silent.

No offense to the guy, but that's beyond irritating(Barring how much effort and time has gone into this thread). Especially considering they are advertising SGSSAA in that post too but it's not an officially supported feature.

14. Bradders684

Bradders684 Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti GAMING
    You welcome. :)

I was thinking the exact same thing, it's ridiculous that they won't let us use SGSSAA in DX11 games (presumably to push TXAA and any new AA techniques they introduce that will be hardware restricted forcing us to upgrade) yet they advertise SGSSAA in Dark Souls 2 so people buy NVIDIA.

They even advertised that you could use SGSSAA in ME3 as well, there is probably more but I cant be arsed looking.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2014
  15. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I am pretty sure NVIDIA's silence in the DX11 AA petition has nothing to do with TXAA, and probably has more to do with laziness.
    Even if they do implement DX11 AA bits at some point, you would probably need a lot of GPU power to use driver-forced SGSSAA in modern DX11 games like BioShock Infinite, Crysis 3 or BF3/4 etc.
    TXAA is supported on 6XX cards and up, and any single GPU setup below those specs would probably have a hard time with DX11 SGSSAA anyway ;)

Personally I still haven't lost all hope though, we did recently get the "Mantle killer" driver in the shape of 337.50 with reduced CPU overhead in previously AMD optimized games like BF4, Sleeping Dogs and Hitman: Absolution.
    Who knows what is next? :)

16. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    B:I though, performs very very well from all the benches i've seen of it on Modern cards.

It doesn't really matter that cards can't handle say 60FPS. But the performance hit realistically compared to modern crap MSAA performance cost it shouldn't be terribly much more.

4 years ago when SGSSAA was discovered I doubt any card could handle 1080p 8xSGSSAA with the most advanced games at the time at 60FPS.

And at the same time, it doesn't have to be 60FPS to be playable. Any stable framerate of at least 30 is all good.

Of course with multiplayer games performance is more important anyway. So I don't even use AA in MP games most times.

The point is giving us the highest quality point, for current multicard setups and future cards. A way of improving games from today, 2 or 3 years from now.

Heck dude, i've also got a 1366x768 TV set that I can use with 4-8xSGSSAA in modern DX11 games so that helps with performance a lot and IQ/AA quality is still great. (Also have a 1080p TV)

Everything needs decent AA. Whether through engine support or through drivers.

So many games ship without AA at all :(

17. RecluSe

RecluSe Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 SC/ACX 2.0
    I have the same issue, no matter what I cant get HBAO+ to work through NI.

18. necrofobic

necrofobic Guest

GPU:
    gtx680 4Gb @ stock

i have the same issue, HOWEVER mine seems to be related to using 16:10 resolutions (as i have a 16:10 monitor ofc), as soon as i switch to a 16:9 resolutions hbao+ starts just fine, without restarting the game mind you

switch back to 16:10 and its gone again :/ so it seems to be a nvidia related problem atleast. both GeDoSaTo ssao and ingame ssao works fine in all res

edit: forgot 337.50 on w8.1, gtx680

19. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    I meant no offense to anyone :)
    Just saying, that we need to be realistic about the performance requirements of something as high quality as driver-forced SGSSAA in high-end DX11 games using deferred rendering.

A single 570/580 GTX simply isn't going to cut it in those games.
    Whether these cards support TXAA or whatever new post AA method NVIDIA comes up with is completely besides the point IMO.

But this is really not the correct thread to have this discussion, let's stick to HBAO+ here.
    And on that topic, I found a much better HBAO+ flag "0x00000021" for Aliens: Colonial Marines.
    After playing the game more extensively, I discovered that "2F" turns on and off when approaching and walking away from certain walls/doors etc.

"21" doesn't have this or other problems at all, and provides a stronger AO effect than "2F" to boot.

Here is my updated report (Please use it directly as a reference in the HBAO+ list):
    http://www.forum-3dcenter.org/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=10187423&postcount=77

20. applejack

applejack Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3070 Ventus 3X
    I do turn off in-game SSAO. I don't think its a requirement but you definitely want to turn it off if using HBAO+.

using HUD Always on (never touched this one), my testings in this game shows that:
    - for HBAO+ to work with SGSSAA I must disable in-game AA.
    - if not using SGSSAA, the HBAO+ works regardless of the in-game AA setting, however in-game AA setting still toggles visibility of HBAO effect on top of menus / hud elements.

also, I do sometimes notice the "line" caused by SGSSAA. maybe that TF2 fix could make it go away :)