8GB RAM with NO PAGEFILE CLUB or TOPIC (lol)

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Mr.Bigtime, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    I never used the word paging or tried to explain it.

Your second paragraph is also pretty telling, because that being true you prove that messing with the registry is pointless. In fact, even if you have a large PF, messing with the registry is still pointless.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol do you even understand what you just said..? Obviously not or you wouldn't have said it.

You're saying a commited file (.dll or whatever) can be pointed to a physical address but at the same time not be part of the virtual address space. That is impossible.

Every single nanobyte used by Windows - physical, virtual, or alien from the planet Zong resides in the VIRTUAL F***ING ADDRESS SPACE, defined as committed or non committed bytes.

I said this the other day when you told me physical memory is managed by the "physical memory manager" which ofc is a load of horseshlt.

Please stop this is just cringeworthy to watch. You clearly have no clue what you're saying.

I thought we established this the other day when you made me post links and screenshots from MSDN and systernals etc AFTER you goaded me into it.

Maybe I should post excerpts from one of my fav books.....;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  3. gammelhat

gammelhat Active Member

The point is that Windows CAN wipe existing data (unmodified pages) from physical ram without a page file present (any memory mapped file). When that data will be needed again, it will just be fetched from their orignal files.

You cannot disable that feature by disabling the page file.

4. gammelhat

gammelhat Active Member

5. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Lol changing focus of debate - yet again?

I never ever mentioned unloading. YOU did. When you stated "files can be REMOVED FROM MEMORY. Which is unloading.

And stay on topic which is; does a disabled PF do the same thing as disablepagingexec =1 in reg? Answer is yes, because all data remains in RAM.

This line from you speaks volumes;

"physical memory is handled by the physical memory manager, and has nothing to do with virtual memory, which is handled by the virtual memory manager?"

Last edited: Nov 7, 2014
  6. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Havent used a PF for a long time..... was browsin and bored and came across this topic, and thought I'd chime in. But I've never had problems with it. Also Im SSD now.

7. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    How much RAM do you use?

8. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    8 gig. 2 sticks

9. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    had to enable pagefile again for latest might and magic legacy x title. it was stuttering like hell. odd.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070

11. evo161

evo161 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G
    Iam using downsampling and msaa on some games , so enough 8gb ram with no page file ?

and using page file give any stutter or similar problems ?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  12. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    I've disabled the page file on my gaming rig (8GB) and work laptop (12GB). I know that I'll never reach the limit so why not just put it into the RAM? I generally want my applications to run from the physical memory instead of the "slow" pagefile. I do the same on my Linux Mint laptop which has 6GB, gone is the swap partition. ;)

13. Foamy4

Foamy4 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX770 4GB
    If you want to disable the page file I'd recommend atleast 8GB. Sometimes I hit 5.5-6GB of RAM usage when gaming + multiple chrome tabs and music running.

Downsampling and MSAA would take a hit on your GFX card VRAM, it won't tax your RAM.

No the use of a pagefile won't give you any stutter, in fact the only noteable differense you're likely to experience is faster tabbing between programs. ;)

14. evo161

evo161 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 GAMING 4G
    8GB ram and when playing Skyrim ( many mods ) with pagefile off , my pc give "Out of Memory" errors

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Noticed that you write 4GB for your SLI, does each card have 4GB or 2GB.
    If they got 2GB it is only 2GB that you have available for textures etc.
    SLI does not combine the memory into a larger pool but only uses the amount of the card with less amount of memory.

About the out of memory errors, sounds like your running with almost as many mods as I do, hitting 8.6GB committed just by loading a game where I'm in Whiterun.
    Paging to SSD or getting more memory will help you upon that without giving you the performance penalty of a HDD.

16. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    16gb RAM and an SSD primary OS drive. Been running with no pagefile for a long time with this configuration and no problems.

17. TheWorse

TheWorse Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX680@1300/6900
    Same as Kolt, no problems so far.

I didn't see much difference in watchdogs anyways but I think i have a little bit faster loading times

18. deankevor

deankevor Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 670 OC 2GB
    I do the same thing, I remove the pagefile to save space on my SSD. unfortunately, some programs and games... sometimes tend to have a memory leak.. which is lead to a use in the paged-file memory.. So, I had to enable it back to avoid issues.

19. primetime^

primetime^ Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX Vega 64
    ok Pill Monster.......sorry for question number 5000 but is it ok to turn off page file or not. From what i gather the main issue is for people with crashing pcs since they wont be able to check the event viewer. You have helped me in the past and feel like you probably the best to ask. I currently have it set to 800 mb but im also using win tech preview 9860 if it matters but i haven't had any sort of crash in as long as i can remember.

so being able to look up event viewer after crashes are not to big of a chance currently but at the same time i was a little concerned doing it with beta os. But even with that said it seems like the best os i have ever used...beta or not:)

20. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    It's absolutely safe, I promise you. (with sufficient ram installed obviously).

At one point crash dumps were not saved on systems without a pagefile, however this argument is no longer valid for naysayers because an update was released which corrected the issue.
    System Event Logs have never been affected and an average user wouldn't know what to do with a dumpfile anyway.

**As a sidenote, 64bit games running on 8.1 can allocate much more memory than W7 due to certain DX11 features. The same solution still applies though: if problems occur, install more RAM.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2014