Black screen after OC.

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by Remekra, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Hello.

So I've got ASUS P5Q SE motherboard and Intel C2Q Q8300 CPU, I've had 2 sticks of 2GB RAM. CPU was running at 3.0GHz after OC, memory at 800MHz, but I've had some spare RAM, 2x1GB sticks, they are both Samsung, but they run at diffrent speeds. When I put them in everything is okay, problems start when I want to OC CPU. Black screen after reboot and message that my OC have failed, so the defaults are loaded.
    Is there a way to solve this issue? Or am I stuck with only 4GB of ram? :(

2. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    You need to match memory modules. It's likely the additional sticks aren't liking the FSB adjustment and causing that. I guess you could try playing with the memory voltage, but it may not help. Would just be better to find two more 2gb sticks of the same speed.

3. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    So i got my hands on different set of sticks. Now I have 2x2GB OCZ 800MHz kit and 2x1GB Kingston 800MHz, still when I put them in they are slowing down to 667MHz and when I try to OC them to 800MHz I get black screen. Tried changing voltage to 2.1v, because stick on the OCZ says that they are 2.1v and Kingston are 1.8v, strange thing is CPU-Z shows that those OCZ are 1.8v when they are running 400MHz (JEDEC3) not 2.1v.

Any help?

EDIT

Also when I set them to run at 2.1v but leave 667MHz frequency PC boots and runs fine. Only when I change the clock to 800MHz everything goes to shi..

4. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You probably need to change the FSB to DRAM ratio. What it is now and what it should be is beyond me, but look for that option in your bios and mess with it.

5. Remekra

Remekra Guest

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX6900XT
    Yeah I messed with it and everything above 667MHz is either black screen without even POST screen, or it just freezes when it counts RAM.

6. IcE

IcE Don Snow

GPU:
    3070Ti FE
    When you mix memory kits, the system is going to default to the lowest common denominator between them. It's also better to ignore CPU-Z's SPD tab, as the tables aren't always actually relevant for your particular kit.

In your case though, I'm fairly certain the problem here is the CPU's memory controller or the board, and not the memory itself. A lot of boards/CPU's don't like dealing with four full memory slots. It just causes instability.