ATM ate my cash deposit.

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Firepac, Apr 14, 2014.

1. Firepac

Firepac Guest

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 680GTX 4GB
    A few hours ago I went to my local Citibank to make a cash deposit at the ATM for $500. The machine here takes cash deposits without an envelope. When the machine prompted me I inserted 50 $10 bills into the cash slot and waited. After about a minute or so the machine prompted that it had "problems with one or more of the bills" and proceeded to return my money. I could hear the machine clicking and paper crunching but no money ever came out. After about 3 minutes the ATM told me that my session has timed out and I was immediately logged out of my account. There was nothing I could do after that. I called my bank and they simply told me that they would launch an investigation and gave me a temporary $500 credit to my account. Does anyone know much about ATMs? Would a bystander be able to get the money out somehow? There were other people there so I was almost afraid to leave the machine. How long would it take the bank to inspect the machine? And would the cameras there be able to see me insert the money? I'm really worry that I won't get my money back.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Most ATMs have hidden cameras, they will know from facial recognition if you tried to add money to an account and never received it back. Sometimes youre out of luck, one time i deposited 1200$ of all 20s and ATM miscounted a few 20s, bad luck i guess.

3. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    there is a camera, don't worry about it especially if they already credited your account.

4. Firepac

Firepac Guest

GPU:
    eVGA Geforce 680GTX 4GB
    I'm really afraid that the ATM will spit the money out later and someone else will grab it.

5. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    With the bank spotting you $500 and investigating, I think you are covered at this point, any losses incurred will be on the bank.

As for inserting cash directly into the ATM, I'm a bit leery of it as well. When it's $200 or less, I'll shove it in the ATM but anytime it's a significant amount of cash, I walk it in to a human.

6. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    I've had this happen before. The BS I had to go through to get the money credited to my account was unbelievable. And for this very reason, is why I will never deposit cash through an atm again.

7. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

I would never cash deposit or cheque deposit at an ATM. Much safer to go to a bank and do it. Cotton-paper money is probably much less safe to do cash deposits than polymer money due to the way it wears etc. I can't help but think when they look into that machine they will find a pile of shredded notes inside.

On the plus size, it probably does occur enough for the bank to believe your story which is why you were given temporary credit.

8. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    The pretty girls working in the bank don't bite.
    That's why I always go into the bank to deposit cash.

9. Andrés

Andrés Guest

ATMs have logfiles that report every event, including taking a bill and not recognizing it.

10. ground_zero298

ground_zero298 Master Guru

GPU:
    integrated
    I always put my cash in the atm. Had 1 time it took 2 $100's on me. Went inside and they took care of it.

If the machine did give back your money to someone else, you would not be accountable for it. Sometimes a corner of a bill can get folded over when inserting money and it causes issues.

11. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    I never use these and i dont trust machines to count my money i always get an assistant cashier to count my money. I also tell the cashiers that i dont use "your machines when it comes to counting my money" and i would rather wait for your assistance.

12. Pzykotik

Pzykotik Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC RTX 2070 AMP
    I don't like paying money into the ATM, it shouldn't be a problem... But as with all technology, you never know!

13. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    This^ they know how much YOU put in. that's why they gave you the credit.

14. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Used one once after being shown how to use it by a bank employee I know.

Still honestly not going to use it unless I'm in the biggest rush in the world and there's a queue.

15. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
    she will for a little extra.

16. -Ruin-

-Ruin- Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1060 6GB
    Yeah buddy!

17. Palerider

Palerider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS X1950XTX
    Careful there bro...I used to think that way and ended up with a MRS Palerider :3eyes:

18. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    Well i guess i wont make the " i just got 500usd from a broken atm" thread out of respect for you firepac.
    Money well spent thuo thanks!!!!! the bank chicks were wild!!!

19. meganlee

meganlee Guest

GPU:
    Intel HD 3000
    Something like that might have happened to me. I deposited a bunch of money, but a month later when I needed the money, my balance was lower than expected. I checked all my transactions and it seemed like some of my money went missing. Of course, I'm only assuming the ATM is at fault, god knows, maybe I dropped some of the money i'm awful at counting or something.

Good luck tho OP

20. Andrés

Andrés Guest

I don't know you, but after I deposit money I always check if the money is really there!