Panasonic to offer 98-inch and 84-inch Professional 4K LED Displays

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 8, 2014.

1. toniglandyl

toniglandyl Guest

GPU:
    8800GT 512
    Didn't know that there was a large use of transcoding from 60 to 24fps. it explains the terrible viewing experience when doing traveling then.
    Well I work on some 4K content, using a 4K 84" screen for demos and the problems I see are :
    - traveling : stuff just bounce too much in the background when the camera pans around. it's just not easy on the eye (might just be the way things are captured/transcoded as you mentioned)
    - easy to lose the benefit of 4K when things move. there's a reason why tech demos are either : still images, landscapes or slow motion stuff.

fry178 : according to wikipedia, HMDI 2.0 can only output up to 4096×2160p60. So unless your TVs have another connector or that you hae inside information about the next HDMI iteration, how do the current 4K TVs take a 4K 120Hz input ?

TheSarge : I can see myself using a 4K monitor to replace the fact of having multiple screens. the size you have on the desktop is astonishing ! a 55" 4K monitor as fry178 mentions is equivalent to having 4 27" bezel-less HD screens.

2. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    That link says 24P for 2160P - unless I'm missing something

3. Serial T.

Serial T. Member

GPU:
    Palit Jetstream GTX 780Ti
    It looks like Sony's line up of "4K" UHD screens can do 3840x2160/24p, 3840x2160/25p, 3840x2160/30p, 4096x2160/24p and now with the updates 3840x2160/60p.

From the Au Sony site:
    This 4K Ultra HD TV can be upgraded to the latest HDMI 2.0 standard to accommodate 4K/60p content playback via internet software update available now.

Obviously not really 4K/60p but 3840x2160/60p. $4500 for the bottom range 65",$5000 for the mid range 65" and the top line 84" is $25000. (Au dollars)

I'd hate to imagine what the response times and input lag would be.

4. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Gonna stick my neck out here and say the input lag will be determined by the panel technology, not the resolution.

Currently the top contenders for the least input lag are OLED and Plasma, which is why I use Panasonic Plasma for my Playstation sessions (game mode on).

My info could be wrong or out of date, but that's what I'm led to believe.

5. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @the sarge
    im running 65+55 4kUHDs since april last year and i (plus 99% of the customers) can see a difference compared to the FHD sets next to it.
    no matter if running 1080p from pc or ps3. all vids im running same thing. when a pixel is 4 times smaller (vs FHD), its 4 times smaller, no matter what content.
    especially with games its a big jump in quality. i sold my ps3 a while ago since i could look at the pic quality on a 32 FHD. looks so much better on the 65 UHD, that i got one from the store just to show the difference to customers. and im not talking about new/high res games, even the old wipeoutHD looks so good, im thinking of buying a ps3 again (3D vs non 3D on ps4)...

of course thats only with the sonys, no one else is doing upscaling to 4k as long as they do, and it has a huge impact on the picture...

one of the reasons sony doesnt "NEED" 4k content (which they have).

@serialT/Maha guru
    almost no lag on sony tvs from W series and better. cnet even rate us gaming grade if i remember correctly.
    and almost every gaming monitor is lcd based, so why should the lcd on a tv be worse on lag/response?
    i had 25ms monitors without ghosting, and so called ultra fast 5ms screens that showed ghosting...
    i go by what i see on the screen, no matter the ms.

@all
    yes, native 4K (4096x) only runs at 60Hz and sony is shooting 4K@60Hz, so i guess they havent pushed for 120Hz on the screens yet. but i know the tvs hardware "technically" supports it.
    might have "confused" it with the hdmi specs..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014