Which on-ear headphones?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography, Home and Portable Electronics' started by Xenotone, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    Hi guys, anyone know anything about headphones? I'm in the market for a pair of decent on-ear headphones mainly for home use. I have around £75 to spend. Any recommendations?

Last edited: Apr 3, 2012
  2. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Good idea to go to shop and test those yourself to see if those feel comfortable. Also take some music what you listen and test how headphones work for you.

AKG K-141 MK-II seems to be £80 here.

If you are willing to spend a bit more, check out K-172 HD (Wanny has these) and K-240 MK2 (I have these).

3. kanej2007

kanej2007 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080 TI 11GB
    Excellent explanation. Each brand of ear/headphones sound different. There is no perfect one or one that's the best in every type of music.

For example, I recently went through several reviews on 2 high end ear phones.

I was comparing Sennheiser against Shure, both are great only you can pick one, right?

So after reading both reviews, both ear phones received 90% marks and excellent feedback.

The verdict was if you want a good balance between the high/low notes and bass then go for the Sennheiser.

However, if your not too bothered about bass but want excellent treble, high/low notes then go for Shure.

As Tat said it depends on what sounds better in your ears!

4. pogostickio

pogostickio Master Guru

GPU:
    DannyD's GTX 1080ti
    if you're a bass head then try a pair of Sony headphones like the MDRXB700.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDRXB700-Giant-Headphones-Driver/dp/B001UE6PE0/ref=pd_sim_ce_3

I just bought a pair of them one step down with a 40mm driver instead of the 50mm driver and they sound awesome for gaming. They also do a set with a 30mm driver.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-MDRXB500-Extra-Headphones-Driver/dp/B001UE6PDG/ref=pd_cp_ce_0

They're pretty damn good for music too. The bass is phenomenal and although the high end suffers a bit you can sort that out with a bit of equalization.

To quote from Sony's own text... "A huge frequency response range, from an ultra-low 4Hz right up to 24,000Hz"

The surrounding leather ear cushions are luxurious. The fit is perfect too as there's no extra space around your ears and the cushion like the pair of Gamecom 365 heapdhones i've gotten used to. The only downside is the cable as it is only around a metre and a half in length which is fine for an mp3 player but not so good if you sit way back from your hi-fi / receiver / pc. I bought a 5 metre extension cable so now I can lounge around on my sofa late at night watching and listening to loud action movies without annoying the neighbours. Oh and the cable is flat, not cylindrical (round). So you won't get it twisted.

I've always bought Sennheiser but damn these are nice. Very lightweight too. Goodbye Gamecom 365. Hello Sony.

Yes, the headband looks to be lacking in foamy comfort but there is a thin layer of foam and as the headphones are so lightweight you won't notice the lack of a thick pad of comfort as you won't need it. I'm still burning mine in. I could not be happier. :)

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

5. naike

naike Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus EAH5870
    I've had my HD555s for years, the quality is superb for the price, these headphones are sometimes even compared to much more expensive headphones.
    However, I haven't had much experience with different headphones, but I'm sure others will back me up if you check google.

I can only recommend these, they've taken quite a beating along the years too, very comfortable also.
    Worth looking into.

6. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    I can rep this, own them as well, and they're abso****inglutely amazing!

7. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    I want those too ^^

BTW isn't this the wrong thread?

8. Iggyblack

Iggyblack Guest

GPU:
    PNY GTX 960 1330/1790
    you mean wrong section right? haha

9. pokerapar88

pokerapar88 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Amp!
    yeah sorry, too many drugs for me today !

10. rocknrolla12

rocknrolla12 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte R9
    The Grado SR60i should be within your budget, retro styling but great sound quality.