Reboot loop

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by OmniShift, Mar 15, 2014.

1. OmniShift

OmniShift Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    After I installed a second hand i5 2500k and a brand new ASRock Z77 Extreme3 motherboard (as upgrade from an FX-6200 on an ASRock 990FX Extreme3), I'm having some problems with my computer. One of my case fans doesn't run anymore, the fans of my CPU watercooler are running at full speed (even though they're set at low speed), but most of all: my computer doesn't get any further than the very first boot screen (the ASRock logo with text in the lower right corner, indicating what buttons to press for instant flash, boot preference, and entering UEFI). After that screen has shown for a few seconds, the screen goes black as if it continues booting, but instead shows the exact same screen again. I am able to enter EUFI as usual and selected my boot drive to boot from. All hardware is detected as normal for as far as I can tell.

So here are my questions:
    -Am I correct to assume the problem is with the motherboard or is there a chance this might've been caused by the processor?
    -Could this problem be caused because I didn't uninstall the previous motherboard drivers (which were AMD) or is the motherboard just busted on arrival?

2. Vindaloo

Vindaloo Guest

GPU:
    R7850 2Gb CF 1000/5000
    I don't think its hardware....... (but the fan thing)

When you change motherboard its recommended you reinstall windows/linux/whatever.
    You can get it to work, its alot of F***ing around tho (you have to install drivers from dos), and everytime I've changed from AMD to Intel or back without a reinstall the pc runs like garbage.

Reinstall windows mate.

3. OmniShift

OmniShift Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    That's what I did (after I got no response here) and that indeed solved the problem. The fans were caused by an odd default setting in the UEFI.

4. Vindaloo

Vindaloo Guest

GPU:
    R7850 2Gb CF 1000/5000
    Yeah I'm quite surprised nobody replied and told you, BAD guru3d, bed no dinner for you lol

5. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    I had a similar issue when first trying to run my current build.

My PC just kept POSTing in an endless loop. This was caused indeed by the bootup device selection. For whatever reason, by default my BIOS just used my Blu-Ray drive and an USB flashdisk as boot devices.

I needed to enter the "Advanced" mode of UEFI to be able to select proper boot devices (my HDD). After that no problems.

FYI.

6. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    UEFI boot devices are supported from W8 onward. Anyone running W7 should be using legacy mode.

7. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    I am using W7 and it boots in UEFI mode. Do you mean devices other than HDDs?

Edit: If I remember correct that W7 was installed from DVD booted in UEFI mode.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Yeah video cards with GOP BIOS.

10. OmniShift

OmniShift Guest

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 770 DCU2 OC
    You know, the problem is already solved...