SSD Shows up in windows Defragmenter, why?

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by GODzillaSDM, Mar 22, 2014.

1. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    I know SSD drives are not suppose to be defragged. I also thought that they automatically get excluded from defragmenter in Windows 7. However, for some reason, I noticed that my SSD drive shows up in the defragmenter. When I click defrag just to see if Windows would do it, it actually does analyze the drive, shows 10% fragmented, and then starts to defrag it. (I clicked stopped right away)

How do I get my SSD drive to be excluded from Defragmenter?

Thanks!

2. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    It's still a hard drive, you CAN defrag it, just not a particularly good idea.

3. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    Just make sure that the SSD is excluded from the periodic defragmentation schedule.

4. GODzillaSDM

GODzillaSDM Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 FTW
    Hi Bleh!, I could've sworn my previous SSD did not show up in the Disk Defragmenter. I thought Win7 was smart enough to exclude it.

@FatBoyNL, its currently not in the Schedule, I think that will have to do. Thanks.

Anyone else who has an SSD that does not have it shown in the Disk Defragmenter?

5. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    My girlfriends laptop, my laptop and my sig rig all have SSD's the all show up in the defrag program but are checked as excluded.

6. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    So no point in defragmenting for performance? I know about the limited writes on ssd.

7. zipper

zipper Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX 680M
    Absolutely no point, the SSD controller spreads the data overall trying to even up the write cycles and every cell is as fast to use.

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    SSDs weren't "mainstream" when Windows7 was released. They're still not as common as many want to believe, but they're more common than they were back in 2009 when Win7 launched. Since SSDs weren't "mainstream", there really wasn't much reason to include extra (unnecessary) code just to exclude them from the defrag utility....

Running defrag on an SSD doesn't improve performance at all. Unlike a harddrive, the controller on an SSD is rather smart and writes data where it needs to be.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  9. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    you need to run the WEI test win 7 or WinSat win 8

win 7 just run Windows Eperience Index : right click my computer > properties > run WEI.

Win 8 winsat test = WEI command line

open up cmd prompt (admin) and type "winsat -formal" let it do its tests, once the HDD is tested for speed it will be recognised as an SSD and be excluded from Defrag optimisations

10. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Btw it doesn't "Defrag" but "Trims" it and its set to Trim by default.

Intel recommends running Trim 2-4 times a month anyway.

11. Deckard

Deckard Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3090ti Gaming X
    it has to be recognised as an SSD first and foremost before TRIM can have an effect, once its recognised as an SSD (via WinSat test) it will enable TRIM. ie exclude it from the defragment schedual. :)

12. Dragondale13

Dragondale13 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    @Deckard - I ran the WEI, but it still shows up in the defrag list.Am I doing something wrong then?

@-Tj- : How do I go about running Trim manually? I thought it was automatic over specific periods.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Ah, good to know for future reference.

W8.1 seems to recognise SSD's automatically and set it to Trim, and i just assumed W7 was the same.

14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I think windows does it every now and then when its running maintenance..

Although my intel 330 has a Intel SSD tool box that includes trimming and I've set that app to run trim every now and then.

15. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    That's the impression I was under.Hmm, I don't think I've seen anything Trim related in the Magician Software, now you guys have me paranoid.I'll check it out when I get home later and give an update.Not for if this means anything but from what I do remember is Magician indicating that my ssd has had 1.3TB written to it.It's a 128gb 840 Pro.Is that good or bad? Drive Status is "Good" according to the software.Could that 1.3TB just be a summary of write action?

16. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    My intel tool box overrides default windows defrag - Trim, so I had to make sure Intel is doing it. Otherwise it doesnt do anything at all.

I think Samsung magician also has trim option.

Ps if you're worried just run windows default defrag - trim option, no harm done.
    [​IMG]
    Just hit optimize, wait 3-10sec and you're done.

17. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    Win 7 doesn't have that option.Last week after uninstalling Far Cry 3, for 2-3 days, about 3-4 hrs use each, I was getting that crunching sound from the SSD as if it was doing something in the background.Saw no ill effects b4 or after it stopped and thought maybe that was the Trim function doing it's thing automatically.I'll take a look at Magician again for good measure.

18. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Ah sry I overlooked you had win7, yeah check Magician again I think I saw it in one review.

Edit:
    http://www.custompcreview.com/reviews/samsung-840-evo-250gb-750gb-ssd-review/18338/13/

Disk Management/Performance optimization

"The third tab on the left is the “Performance Optimization” tab, which issues a TRIM command on the SSD. It’s pretty easy to run by hitting the start button although it shouldn’t be necessary as the SSD conducts its own garbage collection automatically."

Guess you don't really need it, but if you never ran before try at least once

19. FatBoyNL

FatBoyNL Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080 Suprim X
    This just is not true for Windows 7. But I see you confirmed you have Windows 8.1.

20. Dragondale13

GPU:
    GTX 1070 AMP! • H75
    U 1 chill kat bro, thx! :thumbup:
    Yes, I ran it when I first installed the software so I guess I'm GTG! :D