NVIDIA: DirectX 12 Is A Huge Improvement for Gaming

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Alakuu

Alakuu Member

GPU:
    XFX 7870 CORE
    That would be great. Maybe people should realize how hard that would be with the difference in funding, and oh well, RND money.

We've already slipped into a bit of a issue.

AMD can't logically compete well with INTEL on the straight CPU market. Why? Because they don't make nearly as much money to throw at improvements.
    Great for them. Sucks for us. Good luck seeing a healthy CPU market with proper advancements in performance at proper prices. Well till Intel gets broken up. If it even will.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
  2. Alakuu

Alakuu Member

GPU:
    XFX 7870 CORE
    Correct me if I'm wrong. But didn't GPU architecture change between each DX update that requires different hardware?

I think we're still on the same architecture as we had well before dx11 hit the open market.

3. FerCam™

FerCam™ Guest

GPU:
    MSI Gaming GTX980
    Yes, true but I think the main difference today is not architecture in itself but how programmable it is, so in the end they just have to give support through drivers, so for instance gcn1 and gnc2 must have different driver programming to support the same feature like mantle.

4. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Some idiot from AMD even made the statement that there was no DirectX 12 coming......AFTER DirectX 12 development started.

Mantle is only in "beta".....and currently only supported by AMD hardware. Makes it much easier to develop and "ship" an API that only has to support your own hardware. It'll be much longer before the Mantle API is finalized and we still don't know if Intel or NVidia will ever jump onboard. Without NVidia getting onboard, Mantle won't likely survive much past the DX12 launch.

5. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    All this, thanks to AMD or this would not have happend for long time. Nvidia boys still don't get it how sad can you be, still express there hatred towards AMD sad real sad.

6. evasiondutch

evasiondutch Guest

GPU:
    2x-MSI gaming 290x 4gb OC
    AMD is the one that bring change and rest follows at least be happy about that.

Followers:Nvidia-intel microsoft:p

7. JulesCools

JulesCools Guest

GPU:
    Titan Black SLI
    AMD forced Microsoft to speed up release, we wouldn't be hearing this news without Mantle. So yes thanks AMD! At least you delivered a few months after the announcement. DX 12 will be relevant in like 2.5 - 3 years. On Windows 9. Which may be even worse than Windows 8.1.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  8. rodrigoles

rodrigoles Master Guru

GPU:
    Rx 5600 XT
  9. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Why are people pinning this on Mantle and not various game developers switching/praising OpenGL (notably Valve)? Nvidia/AMD both have extensions that rival Mantle in performance/low level capability on OpenGL and have had them for a year now (4.4). Nvidia/AMD have both been talking pretty heavily about the performance increases on OpenGL.

And why would Microsoft care if devs are switching to Mantle when it still requires Windows and doesn't have a Linux base yet? They haven't even started on Linux development.

Also they showed Forza running on DX12 at GDC. I doubt they cooked up the entire API and ported the game over in 6 months.

10. Trust me, M$ wouldn't have given a flying f*ck about low level graphics API if not for Mantle.

They have long since put all their stake in the gaming market with the xbox, as you can see very clearly by their recent history of empty lies about support for PC gaming.

So there is absolutely no way they would ever start the ball rolling for low level API as it would allow PC games to perform even better and make consoles even more obsolete. That's as good as shooting itself in the foot.

Only reason to fight back with DX12 is because with Mantle, PC games will get the inevitable benefit (M$ can no longer limit the potential of PC games with its crappy old DX) and to protect DX's long held position as tax collecting cash cow.

You should understand that if you have even the least bit of business sense.

Not that I'm an AMD fan but I just want to sh!t all over M$ for its greedy ways which have held back PC performance. Now just waiting for them to announce their artificial caveat for access to DX12 so I can bash them again.

11. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    [​IMG]

...and e-marketing OS'es through decades ..... WTF!!!!!

12. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    does "bring to all there platforms" mean win7-8 and so forth or are they still not saying

13. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    ....well.... "what i was being told" : whenever you see see an ADVERTISEMENT...... there must be surely something CUNNING going out there....

14. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Platform and operating systems are mutually exclusive. Platform support is independent of os support

15. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Completely agree, I'm surprised there isn't much forum fuss with the OpenGL 0 overhead presentation.
    Although Mantle did make some impact on Microsoft, OpenGL is the real threat they're preparing for with some of the big engines becoming available for it. Personally, I'd say the mobile market is largest contribution to that.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Huh? You realize Xbox is also getting DX12 right? And I'm pretty sure those Jaguar cores are going to benefit a hell of a lot more than more powerful PC processors will. In fact I think DX12 was mainly geared for the Xbox to bring it closer to the PS4 in performance.

Sorry but I still think this whole "Thanks Mantle" thing is nonsense. Mantle is pretty awesome in it's own way and I'm glad lots of developers are getting on board with it. But I'm 99% confident that DX12 was in the pipeline at least the sametime if not before Mantle was. Especially because of what I said in my previous post.

17. meth curd

meth curd Active Member

GPU:
    2080TI FE
    Why would the PS4 not get DX12 as well?

18. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Microsoft

19. JEskandari

JEskandari Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3060 (95w)
    For the Exact reason that Linux didn't get any DirectX

20. meth curd

meth curd Active Member

GPU:
    2080TI FE
    And what reason might that be? You can emulate directx on linux and the only real reason it's not there natively is because there's no vendor driver available and because linux distributions for desktops tend to be a mess, not because someone is keeping his toys to himself.

On the subject of consoles, Microsoft didn't block Sony from using and modifying dx 11 for the PS4, just fyi. The hardware is there, it's compatible and there is willingness to invest in it. Besides, the main bottleneck for the XB1 isn't the cpu but the gpu throughput. You'd see a mantle on the i7 scenario where the performance gains are less than 5%, just because the gpu is the bottleneck. I actually remember reading that the XB1 has a slightly faster CPU but don't quote me on that one.