DirectX 12

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by trocio2, Mar 7, 2014.

1. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    Great news for every gamer and maybe we will see DX12 in W8.1,I sure hope so!

2. KyleStilkey

KyleStilkey Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6800 XT N+
    I'm sure we will, but it's Windows 7 that was asked about and Microsoft said nothing to announce now but we know users want it.

3. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Well it's 2 years before any DX12 games, so unlikely W7 will be supported as it will be very old by the then.

4. Bezzie

Bezzie Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 7870 Ghz Edition
    Fine with me i don't need OpenGL as it is not as detail and most OpenGL Games are low quality for people with legacy cards. Everyone develops with DirectX you will see the odd OpenGL extension since they work off each other except that directX translates faster and well Mantle just sweetens the deal with future proofed enhancements on GCN it shouldn't be available to other vendors you don't see nvidia giving out free physX (you actually gotta pay nvidia to develop with PhysX) I dont see linux going anywhere with gaming i mean crytek is coming to linux but crytek is also going to be utilized with mantle

P.S- OpenCL is extremely fast this is why a lot of miners prefer AMD over NVidia.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014

5. DmitryKo

DmitryKo Master Guru

GPU:
    ASRock RX 7800 XT
    Live blogs from the GDC D3D12 session:
    http://www.pcper.com/news/General-T...erspective-GDC-14-DirectX-12-Live-Blog-Coming
    http://www.dsogaming.com/news/direct-x-12-officially-unveiled-first-details-inside/

Nvidia and Microsoft blog announcements:
    http://blogs.nvidia.com/blog/2014/03/20/directx-12/
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/directx/archive/2014/03/20/directx-12.aspx

Two important points to make:
    1. Discussions with Microsoft started 4 years ago, Nvidia worked with the DirectX team to deliver a working implementation for the past year.
    2. They are targeting Holiday 2015 games! No specifics on the new driver model, probably more details at //build.

6. Bezzie

Bezzie Guest

GPU:
    To be honest it doesn't matter, if you have Windows 7 + GCN = Mantle which will be just as fast as DirectX 12 if not faster since DX12 is just a lower CPU overhead and more core utilization im sure most newer games will come with DirectX 12 / Mantle

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Yeah, and if people really want to stick with 7 then they can go with AMD, I wouldn't though as it will be 7 years old by then and no way I would willingly use an OS that old.

8. Bezzie

Bezzie Guest

GPU:
    I'm sure more information will be said when they talk at the //Build conference in 2 weeks when they start Milestone 1 of Windows 9

9. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    Nvidia :banana::banana::kissin::bounce:

AMD :bang::bang::biggun::rpg:

10. Bezzie

Bezzie Guest

GPU:
    :stewpid: TitanBlack uses a 384-bit memory interface.

11. dampflokfreund

dampflokfreund Master Guru

GPU:
    8600/8700M Series
    Actually, I'm not a Nvidia fan, I'm full AMD. But I think they treat their laptop users much better than AMD and also they do a far better job with games and stuff... for example, Nvidia is working with Unreal Engine 4, AMD not...:bang:

12. Sdar

Sdar Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7950 boost
    Yeah is fast with small and easy kernels, but cause it didn't support true function calls (on AMD) when you try to run more complex kernels, Simulations, render engines etc... AMD performance drops to a Pentium 3 performance, or just stops working.

As stated before they managed to make some progress with 14.1 drivers but still OpenCL implementation is a mess.

13. Bezzie

Bezzie Guest

GPU:
    Well Since Unreal Engine 4 Has DirectX in it all AMD has to do is release a driver that optimizes it and instantly faster then NVidia 4A Engine is a good example. NVidia just keeps on rolling out overly expensive graphics cards that do the same thing over and over again no innovation.

14. Bezzie

Bezzie Guest

GPU:
    oooohhh you're talking about CPU's well that doesn't matter AMD Graphics cards have always been fast soon enough OS's will run with Graphic Acceleration (Quad or hexaCore GPU chips) CPU's will be moot. Windows is not a small and easy kernel, linux is and this is why NVidia is faster at OpenGL then AMD. AMD see's no profit in OpenGL no one does cause money talk's

15. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

December 2015, not long to wait now ;).

Since this seems largely pure software improvements over DirectX 11 (which is why it doesn't require new hardware), I wonder if existing DirectX applications will get any benefit? I realise that any benefit will be performance only, and only a little, but no reason why it can't be done.

16. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    It can be done but it will have to be implemented by the developers, I don't think we'll see any passive improvements without at least a patch.

17. Bezzie

Bezzie Guest

GPU:
    Yeah i was wondering that too but like i dont think dev's would recode games for the optimizations especially Blizzard games that all run DirectX 9 except for WoW w/ horrible CPU overhead lol.

18. Spets

Spets Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Act 3 in Diablo 3 would benefit from it, that's for sure :p

19. Bezzie

Bezzie Guest

GPU:
    Same with 4v4's in Starcraft 2 lmaooo

20. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Blizzard intentionally codes WoW to be heavily CPU dependent and they have no intention of changing that. WoW's DX11 support is a joke. Even when switched to DX11, it's still mostly DX9 API calls.