AMD Catalyst 14.3 Beta 1.0 (13.350.1005 March 12)

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by stasio, Mar 18, 2014.

1. Espionage724

Espionage724 Guest

Last I checked, Star Swarm with Mantle ran great for me (better than DX; single GPU). I haven't tried BF4, but if I had to take a wild guess, I would say any performance issues with it would probably stem from the game itself, and not the driver (I'd trust AMD more to provide a good driver, than EA/DICE to provide an optimized/polished game)...

My view of the matter is, is that a benchmark (Star Swarm) and buggy game (BF4) are not the "best" scenarios to really test Mantle with (the former being a benchmark, not really indication of real-world performance; the latter just being pretty unpolished to begin with). Thief is probably the best choice for an actual game to test with.

I had an issue with my Xonar DG where a reinstalled driver couldn't detect the card properly (it wasn't from that EEPROM overwrite issue either). I ended up having to delete the folder for the card's ID in some folder (DriverStore?), and all was well again.

Had that happen a few times already with my particular card, and only that card (no other device had that kind of issue).

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2014
  2. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Just reinstall the latest drivers, it'll work...

3. Napster

Napster Master Guru

GPU:
    Dual Nvidia GTX980Ti SLI
    DX11 is much better for higher resolutions in BF4 as FramePacing is doing its job and is really fluid.

Mantle seems to have no FramePacing and feels choppy running 2560x1440@120hz

Also the memory leak is not fixed. Game will end up using 5GB video memory and stutter to an unplayable state. This only happens if switching resolutions in bf4 while ingame. If you set the resolution and restart then the mem usage is back to normal for awhile.

Thats in mantle API only

4. doodle333

doodle333 Master Guru

GPU:
    HD7870 2Gb
    what does power limit do on 7870,does it had more voltage on top of what is allready set.

5. SmilingLunatic

SmilingLunatic Guest

GPU:
    -
    Still doesn't fix the problem on my ASUS laptop... Hooray for that.

Also, it's been since December since a stable driver... uhm... wtf, AMD? :infinity:

6. sapo_joe

sapo_joe Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX4090 OC
    Lockups seem to stop after disabling ULPS!

Good enough for me... I'll test with more games later...

7. ToorboCharge

ToorboCharge Guest

GPU:
    x2 Sapphire r9 290x
    wait so does this fix the titanfall flickering with xfire?

8. ArgonV

ArgonV Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD XFX 7900 XTX
    Did the same with my SB ZxR.

I went ahead and used Driver Fusion to clean all Creative drivers and install the latest one from their site. PITA... Last time I use AMD uninstaller, I'll stick with Driver Fusion!

NIC, and as far as I can tell other devices are fine...

9. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    does thief only works on one gpu when usin mantle?

10. MacT

MacT Member Guru

GPU:
    2 x Sapphire HD 7970 OC
    Doubt it since it is still listed as a 'known issue' in driver notes.

Mantel still has cpu spikes for me with these in BF4. Guess have to wait for them next whql drivers with optimisation for the 7000 cards.

11. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Ok so i tested last night with fresh windows install and still get 100% cpu usage. i still think my cpu is not strong enough for bf4. But knowing this is BF4 I think it's a game issue.

12. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    I'm crying rivers here dude, seriously.

Might need to cry moar later.

13. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
  14. crz

crz Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 ARMOR 8G
    It has been fixed in the February 25th patch, been using the Mantle renderer since then.

Yes, single card only ATM but a patch is supposed to come out and add multi-GPU support sometime in the future.

15. ELCID777

ELCID777 Guest

GPU:
    2x msi hd 7970's
    Mantle is STILL a steaming pile of useless **** for anyone on 7000 series cards. HD 7970's in CFX with 2500k, with mantle enabled, performance is a considerably worse than in DX11, stuttering is rampant, and the game locks up whenever I try to go into the menu. PC crashes too. This **** is a nightmare. **** mantle, and the inept people at AMD.

16. shredderman

shredderman Active Member

GPU:
    Galax RTX 3060 12GB
    You should try it, just disable crossfire and then tell us how it goes.

I hope I'm either dreaming or this is a troll...

Mantle is supposed to be better on R7 and R9 cards, HD 7xxx series runs on GCN 1.0 while the R7 and R9 run on GCN 1.1.

It's also a fact that Mantle is still a plant, it hasn't had a chance to grow into a tree just yet.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  17. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Speak for yourself. I have HD 7970 and i5 2500K and Mantle works very well for me.

Just learn how to manage your system correctly :rolleyes:

18. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    BE quiet!

Hint: not all people use VSync. We don't buy two high-end cards to play with VSync on at 60Hz. So your theory is null.

Haven't had a bad time since August 2012 when I first got my first 7970 and been happy ever since. Not holding my breath. Feels like your nagging attracts bad driver experiences in some way.

You're getting on everyone's nerves with the nagging too. Just sell your ****ing 7950, buy a GTX770 or whatever, and go away. You said somewhere out there that the driver threads are for feedback, I wonder how effective your feedback is. If I were AMD I would email you broken drivers just to spite you and keep you raging, feels like your fuel.

You do realize what you're getting so steamed about, right? Such a child. :stewpid:

The bolded part: such a nice spirit...:infinity:

It's magic. Thought Mantle was not yet supported on 79xx series cards... o_O

Please understand the sarcasm

19. DiceAir

DiceAir Maha Guru

GPU:
    Galax 980 ti HOF
    Why does this driver detect my card as 7900 series card?

not all R7 and R9 cards are using GCN 1.1 for example r9-270/280/280x still uses GCN 1.0 because it's rebranded cards

20. boombastik

boombastik Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3060 msi 8gb
    in all games with 7790 my gpu clock is not going above 600 mhz so all games have shuttering.
    back to 13.12 and clock are fine.