Thief 4 First Screenshot

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Stone Gargoyle, Feb 25, 2011.

1. EvoHavok

EvoHavok Guest

GPU:
    nVidia 770M 3 GB
    It seems it's one of those games people argue about more than actually playing it.

2. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    So, it's any game in a series?

3. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    I'm sorry but no you can't simply run through the Thief games, you'd get your ass completely kicked because these guards actually follow through a lot of the level instead.

"If you play through Thief 2 again, really it's not that open at all. "
    I don't need to play through it again to know that it is MUCH, MUCH more open than Thief 4. Shoalsgate, Shipping and Receiving, The Trail of Blood, Ambush, Framed etc are all vastly larger than any of the levels in the new game...not to forget the last level which is so big that you could easily get lost.

No, not moss arrows on the water. You shoot on the ground and then jump onto it quietly, so you would essentially have the CHOICE to play as you wish, but new cripple Garrett cannot even jump when he wants, nor can he he fall of ledges, because there are invisible walls holding him back from doing so. This is mainstreaming to the extreme.

Let's put more fuel into the fire, I'm going to copy paste some good criticism towards the new game once again.

"i'd say unenjoyable not unplayable.

1. The story is pure garbage.
    2. Butchering of the main character.
    3. Terrible voice acting.

4. No ability to jump outside predetermined locations and those are ****tily implemented. I don't know how many times I tried to jump a gap or onto a rope only to fall to my death because I was facing 3 pixels to the side. Horribly restricted exploration.

5. Rope arrows in predetermined spots also restricted exploration and most times were stupid. Rope arrows cost 75g and I honestly can only think of a few times out of a hundred when you actually made money by using them. Burn a 75g rope arrow to loot 12g worth of ****.

6. No interactive objects. In the originals you could pick up/move/place/throw tons of objects. Need to reach that ledge? Pile up some crates. Need to distract that guard? Throw a vase. You could kill people by throwing massive boulders at people, or of you couldn't find the key for a door you could break it down by bashing or smashing enough ahit against it. You're now limited to a single use throwable and you can never find one when you need since they apparently disappear when you go throw a loading zone, but if you get really lucky you can KO an unaware guard by chucking a bottle at his face.

7. Loading zones everywhere. Probably due to console ports not being able to handle large areas. Also, loading zones that you can't tell are loading zones.

8. Windows and grates as pseudo loading zones. In the originals you open a grate or window and it stayed open. Now you need to watch animations every time you use one, and you typically will use them multiple times, and there are dozens of them.

9. Linear design. The originals were massive sprawling areas with multiple paths. Now it's Thief: Rail-Looter.

10. Horrible horrible sound engine. In the originals, you could hear a guard's footsteps or talking and determine their location because those engines used realistic sound propagation. Now you hear guards through walls and floors and all kinds of crazy stuff.

11. Broken AI. Some guards are blind and stupid. Others will hear/see you in complete darkness and head shot you from 50yds.

12. Bad scripting. In the originals you would hear guards talking and they would set out on patrol. Now they repeat the conversation over and over even if they're not even in sight of each other and even worse they will restart the convo while they're still having it leading to an audio mess.

13. Stupid maps. Each 'area' has it's own map and by this I mean if you're crawling through a vent you can only see the map for that single vent and can't switch maps to see where you are in relation to anything else.

14. Stupid unmarked points of no return. Trying to explore an area? Well you passed a point of no return and can't go back.

15. No leaning controls. All leaning is contextual and it sucks considering all actions are tied to the same key. Trying to open that door? No, now you're stuck to a box you weren't even facing instead. The number of times this happened and got me killed was rediculous. Put in lean keys!

16. Annoying side quests. The mission ones were ok but stupidly short like 5-10minutes. The other ones were pure trash. Uh go to this area you already explored and look for an item that wasn't there but now is because you took this quest.

17. Stupid 'boss fights'. Now they weren't really that bad the only problem is you would never expect them and therefore aren't prepared. For the fist one at least. "

And another one writes:

"No concept of keys, single lockpicks for everything, Garrett magically knows before touching the handle that the doors are locked. "

I mean, how much bad design will we put up with? :3eyes:

4. Bleib

Bleib Guest

GPU:
    MSI RX 480 8GB
    It does make it a lot worse. This is Thief for stupid people, for the casual gamers, for those who wish to have an easier this-game-plays-itself-for-you-experience. If you do not agree that this kind of design makes it worse then by all means enjoy it, but this will be last time I will pay for anything like this, I won't settle for mediocrity. If there is to be a new Thief ever again, then a more competent team must put it together.

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    So for you casual gamers are stupid people?

6. Damien_Azreal

Damien_Azreal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte OC 3070
    You realize all your doing it making yourself look like a pompous jerk, right?

And your entire basis for your argument is built around something that you can't hold up as fact.
    Your personal opinion that is based upon feelings built around the original games.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Don't rise to it, something i can't help noticing is that the older something gets, the better it gets in their imagination.

Games, movies and even music, what was once mediocre becomes good, and what was good becomes great.

It has made me a little sad but in the last few years i have revisited old favourite movies on BluRay that are not longer favourites, and modded versions of favourite games and it's always a huge disappointment :(

8. F1refly

F1refly Ancient Guru

GPU:
    970GTX-oc edition

*False* Not wasting time reading any further. You can in fact literally run so long as you stay in shadows and knock out all the guards. If your caught you use flash bombs, then knock them out. I did it and I'm apparently not the only one because others on Youtube did the same thing.

Here is a perfect example. There are lots of vids showing players just running around, knocking out guards. The only difference here is this player knows where all the secrets and loot is so he's playing faster but as you can see it's not that hard.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FH2YbycuQ44

9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    So true, but that the problem with all this nonsense, all it does it make people go back and look for faults with the original game(s).

I still enjoy the old games so not sure why people who are even bigger fans would want to invite people to fault pick on them.

10. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Thief is a very average game imo, lacks any sort of atmosphere what so ever, what story, a looting system that is basically grab the shiny thing and there are even whole rooms and networks of tunnels/vents/rope swinging required to get there, for said room to hold only a candle holder and that is the only purpose of that room you'll never visit again.

Its clear that development of this game was a mess.

11. ])rStrangelove

])rStrangelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX780 SC ACX 3GB
    How somebody can write all these walls of text on several days on a forum - apparently wasting his time to tell everyone & his dog that the new Thief game is not what he expected - is simply beyond me.

Nobody forces you to like Thief. Nobody forced you to buy it. But plz accept other ppl's opinions when they say they enjoy playing the game.

If you really hate the game what are you still doing here in this thread? Jeez. :p

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I think Thief is a good game, almost very good, but it is marred somewhat by the decision to use Unreal Engine 3 and release it on the PS3 and Xbox 360. This means that the city is broken up by lots of immersion/atmosphere killing loading screens whereas it would have been awesome if it had been made more sandbox-like and open world. Also, the 5-10 seconds of stuttering that you have to endure after a new level has loaded is somewhat offputting although the game does play smoothly after that (it didn't before the last patch though!).

I'm really not a fan of the Unreal Engine though; I think it is dated (although credit must go to the artists for Thief looking as good as it does) with texture streaming issues, weak native anti-aliasing support and so on.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Exactly, never understood people who waste time talking or writing about something they don't like, it's like they are not happy unless they are unhappy about something.

Arguing personal opinion is another strange one.

14. sTOrM41

sTOrM41 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 970 @ 1500 MHz
    every review site speaking about the mantle patch that should be out NOW,
    but steam doesnt provide this update to me..

is it available to anybody of you?

15. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    The Steam store updates at 18.00 CET I think it was, this is also usually around when various games get patched though now with the new content delivery system patches can be released whenever, most smaller studios even publish daily updates due to that although larger AAA developers or how to call them tend to keep it around 18.00 to 20.00 although time zone regional differences can affect this. :)
    (It's in about one and a half hour, so two - three hours of waiting unless Square releases it a bit earlier.)

16. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
  17. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Yeah the game was just updated. :)

EDIT: The launcher now has a "Automatically limit texture quality" option.
    (Default, on or off, I set it to off.)

EDIT: Mantle can be toggled too.

EDIT: According to the benchmark.

[​IMG]

And with Mantle disabled.

[​IMG]

(As I'm using a R9 280 / 7970 GPU do keep in mind that AMD as of yet has not fully added support for that or GCN 1.0 so on a R9 290 results could be quite different.)

EDIT: x64 version of the game.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2014
  18. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Any improvements vs DirectX ?

19. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I don't think there is anything visually, I didn't notice anything in the benchmark anyhow.

Again it's mainly performance related, offloading CPU usage for example and managing VRAM. (?)

20. Stone Gargoyle

Stone Gargoyle Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 G1
    The only update I see is the v1.2 in the beta list, there's no sign of a v1.3?