Titanfall 48GB PC Install Explained

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    I don't see the problem here.

It's a feature that helps those with low spec machines, and the side effect is the audio is better quality.
    Bastards!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's about time the PC caught up when it comes to audio, visually things have been progressing steadily for the last few years, but audio has not.
    Hopefully we see more of this from now on.

It's also amusing to hear so many call it pointless or a waste, you sound like console gamers stating the difference between 720p amd 1080p or 30 and 60fps is not noticeable or minimal at best.

2. AC_Avatar100400

AC_Avatar100400 Guest

GPU:
    WC GTX 780
    Cool Story Respawn but i call bull****.Was going to buy it but think i will give it a pass and save 70$ Towards a new monitor or camera gear.I do wonder if they are just plain stupid or haven't made a Game before now?

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Anyone using a dual core these days and expects to play a game like this should not be represented. These are exactly the kind of people that give PC gaming a bad reputation in a user-experience point of view. I'm SURE if you had the best sound system in the world, you wouldn't be able to hear the difference between the compressed and decompressed audio. Most audiophiles severely suffer the placebo effect.

As for screen resolutions, it all depends on the size of the screen. You'll definitely notice a difference when you've got a 30" screen at 720p vs 1080p, but on a 15" you won't see much of a difference during gameplay. Frame rate is a little harder to debate - you'll definitely notice the difference between 30 and 60fps, but you can still have a very pleasant experience if the framerate is consistently at 30fps. Hell, most movies are at 24 or 29FPS.

4. Chouji

Chouji Guest

GPU:
    19 inch flat screen
    Why not just give people an option between 2 different downloads. Compressed for quad core or higher PCs, and uncompressed for dual core...
    Or keep it compressed until download then decompress it. 49GB isn't soo bad, until you need to download it. I can see downloading 20GB, but 49GB?
    That's half of some ISP's monthly bandwidth caps.

5. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Some people don't notice the difference though, that doesn't mean we should start gimping resolution and framerate.

The same applies to audio, just because some can't tell the difference doesn't mean those that can should be stuck with lower quality assets.

Half my BluRay's i can't tell the difference between DTS and DTS MA, but with the other half it's night and day, if the audio is recorded well compression will kill it.

It's 2014, and 50gb is a small amount of HDD space, even if it took 50gb of bandwidth (it doesn't, its 21GB) then it still not unreasonable, and the more this is the norm then the more ISP's will improve things in the future.

6. Prod

Prod Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 X Trio
    The game takes up about 18% of my 256gb SSD. That is crazy. There needs to be a option on what you want to DL after you DL the main part of the game. I won't buy the game until it is cheap anyway.

7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Is the audio for Titanfall even any good or is all this space for some mediocre sound?

8. Valagard

Valagard Guest

It is pointless, it is a waste

In my mind, this is just the cheapest form of DRM they could think of, cause who else would download a 48gig file to just pirate it?

And if they were SO concerned about "Quality", why do the graphics look like hog snot on the PC? Why do we not get better models/textures than the Xbone/PS4 versions? Why "Care" about PC owners getting such high audio quality, when there was no effort to the PC owners with the graphics?

That said, WHAT PC owners are they thinking about? 99.99% of PC owners have it ingrained in their minds that motherboard audio is enough, that you don't need better etc etc, and onboard sound cards sound like crap, just who are they making this sound for, the 00.01% of us that have aftermarket sound cards?

And again, if they're going out of their way to give us an "Audiophile experience" then why are the graphics so poor?

Nah, this is just a cheap form of DRM, also, an cheap core 2 duo has more CPU power than either of the new consoles cpu's, so they're full of crap there as well

Also, to prove they are more full of crap, Titanfall runs on THE SOURCE ENGINE, which is MORE than capable of playing hundreds of sounds at the same time, hell, L4D2 runs on a PENTIUM FOUR with all sounds intact and playing at the same time, and L4D2 and Portal 2 both run the newest newest of the new version of the Source Engine to boot

Yeah, Respawn and EA is full of crap, this is just DRM

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2014
  9. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Clearly because audio quality was more important than video quality, i value audio above textures any day, especially in a MP game, and i rarely even play MP games.

The PC version is only getting the same audio as the Xbox version, do you really think the PC version should be getting inferior audio?

No one is downloading 48gb, i hear the Origin download is around 21GB and a quick check shows the torrent for this to be less than 16gb.

How is this a DRM solution when it's smaller than most games released these days?
    Let's not forget the most important part, why would there be DRM on an online only MP game?

No offence, but i don't get how people can go to all that effort to post, but not think things through.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  10. oOEvil1Oo

oOEvil1Oo Guest

GPU:
    2x 770 MSI Lightning
    Anyone know a work around for the Afterburner, and Rivatuner messing with the invite friends icon not being there? If its running you have no invite option, but after I uninstalled it it was fixed???????

11. xodius80

xodius80 Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX780Ti
    i got titanfall, very fun game, tskk tskk high end users complaning about disk space in their ssd, xD love it.

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Didn't have to be explained twice :p

13. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Just another FPS game there for i dont care but the CoD kiddos will eat it up like there CoD

FPS games started getting dumbed down ever since "regen while hiding BS" no game that use that type system has a sense of accomplishment as far as i concerned

14. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
    did some research, and personal encoding. looks like opus kicks butt. i am actually surprised at how efficient opus is. it (in m personal experiment ) matched 320kbps mp3 at around 100kbps.

yay for compression. so yeah, im revising my statement. you are correct when it comes to he-aac v2. it does not retain audio beyond 16khz.

so this is how id rate the codecs

Opus
    he-aac
    lc-aad
    he-aac v2
    mp3?

15. the11ama

the11ama Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 680 2GB
    Strange that no one before you mentioned that, or at least that I saw when reading through.

Why is this article posted with everything double save for the very first sentence?

16. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

AAC-LC is better quality than AAC-HE, but is designed for mainstream bitrates for high quality audio. AAC-HE really only counts with low bitrates.

17. elkosith

elkosith Maha Guru

GPU:
    PowerColor RX 6600
    It's 21 GB download. 48 GB is AFTER the audio files have been uncompressed.

The developer is giving you BETTER audio

The only down side is if you don't have enough space on your hard drive (which I'm sure only a few of us have this problem)

So what's the problem? Why so much fuzz?

I just don't understand why most gamers want better and better graphic but really don't care about the audio.

18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Beats me.
    I would love to always have my game files decompressed - especially in multiplayer game.

19. oOEvil1Oo

oOEvil1Oo Guest

GPU:
    2x 770 MSI Lightning
    I love the "just another FPS game" comments!! Its funny because there is so many different game types out there, must come from a shallow RPG gamer! You know because they are all so different. "oh its my turn I use magic" LOL!!

20. thatguy91

thatguy91 Guest

It doesn't work like that. The audio in the install is compressed, decompressing compressed audio does NOT improve audio quality. At best, you can only get the same audio quality, and that's only if they used a proper Lossless CODEC, which you can almost guarantee they didn't. Audio files of any kind get very poor (or non-existent) compression using standard file compression since file compression works on the principle of repeatability of identical data. Audio files are by their nature, very much non-repeatable. Even if a sound appears to be the same, the frequencies and amplitudes of those frequencies are different and hence, different data is required. As a result, it's not compressible. Audio compression works by various methods such as getting rid of certain frequencies, using other tricks to reduce audio data using tricks tailored to human hearing, etc.

So, not only is the audio in the game compressed audio that is decompressed to you, meaning the quality is already degraded (you don't get better quality), the quality of the original audio is unlikely to be exceptional anyway.

I'm surprised at the gullibility that people have assuming that this will mean better audio, the ONLY reason why they are doing this is pure laziness in programming. If playing the compressed audio means you can't play the game, you probably shouldn't be trying to play it on that system anyway. When AMD mentioned that CPU can be 10 percent for audio, they mean audio that has had various processing and environmental effects added to it (on the fly processing). This is something that really shouldn't be used on low end machines if they insist that uncompressed audio means the different between being able to play the game and not playing the game.

It's pure laziness, and the fact that they only really have mild interest at best in the PC version, which comes back to my original point. Since the audio is compressed in the installer anyway, why not leave it compressed for the 99.9 percent of machines out there that people will play this game on, and for the other 0.1 percent of people trying to run the game on computers they shouldn't really be running the game on anyway, have the option to use 'decompressed audio', assuming they have the additional disk space to spare.

It's really not that complicated, people should not be coming to the defence of the developers and take what they say as an absolute truth.