MSI Radeon R9-290X Lightning Benchmarks and review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Join us as we review the MSI Radeon R9-290X Lightning graphics card. it is the most high-end product that MSI can offer. The 2816 Stream processor based Hawaii chip will get paired with 4 GB GDDR5 mem...

MSI Radeon R9-290X Lightning Benchmarks

2. Ryu5uzaku

Ryu5uzaku Ancient Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Now we got a real proper 290x on the market :D that is some serious business. And nice review as always :)

3. LoccOtHaN

LoccOtHaN Banned

GPU:
    ATi/AMD XFX 7970 DD GhzED
    Yeah :) Superb Card I love MSI & XFX -> But i will consider Lightning 290X...

4. zer0_c0ol

zer0_c0ol Ancient Guru

GPU:
    FuryX cf
    why no mantle numbers in the bf4 section ?

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Did not have any time left, in fact I really should have even spend the time to do this review this week. I am moving to a new place over the weekend.

6. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Have a safe move, boss.

7. CrazY_Milojko

CrazY_Milojko Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus STRIX 1070 OC
    Thank you Hilbert for this review! I had wanted GPU-Z screenshot (Samsung mem chips, yes!) and it's there. Pictures of card without a backplate are also there (they aren't originaly yours, right?) but they are not HiRes so I can't take a detailed/closer look at all eye candy elements on PCB. That's why I assume those bare PCB pics are generic, taken from somewhere else.

Neverimind, review is great. I have few questions:

1). Why not OC with LN2 BIOS? Even with TriForozr on air OC could/should be better/higher with LN2 BIOS...

2). Guess you haven't got enough time for detailed OC, can't believe those Samsung chips aren't capable for more than 6400, they are not Elpida's chips. With Samsung mem chips on freq above 7xxx benchmark results could be at least 5% or even more better...

All in all that is one badass looking/performing card for sure, temps are more than great. TBH I've expected 12xxMHz OC on GPU with LN2 BIOS on TriFrozr/air, if those GPU's for R9 290X Lihhtning are binned they must be capable for that.

Hope that future revisions of R9 290X Lightning won't be ruined by Elpida's...

Keep up the good work, for future reviews reconsider pics of PCB @ HiRes, you realy need that in your reviews... please... please.. please!

Edit
    ^^^ Also this, don't rush with it

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  8. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    This^

Ugh...I hate moving...packing and unpacking, I hope you have plenty of help boss...

9. l_gel

l_gel Member

GPU:
    MSI r7850
    I looked at the picture and hoped to see some liquid nitrogen applied in the review.

10. MadGizmo

MadGizmo Guest

GPU:
    MSI R9 290X 8GB 2560*1440
    Success with moving.

Nice review. It's a bit early for me to upgrade, but if I did then this would probably be my choice. It's tempting, though.

11. Illnino

Illnino Guest

GPU:
    XFX 290x EK H20
    Thanks for the review, was there much vdroop?

12. unphoto

unphoto Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980 Volt modded
    Cherry picked mem mods? yes
    Cherry picked CPU's? no.

2nd high end lightning type that does not really offer that much more headroom on the "stock cooler" then the other 290's.

Looooooooong gone is the lighting of the 580 era:bang:

13. seaplane pilot

seaplane pilot Guest

GPU:
    2080Ti Strix
    Nice MSI GPU. I have a 7970L, 7970LBE and 2x XFX 290x's. I was thinking of selling off the 290x's for the 290x Lightning but I will just keep them as I would have to put out too much extra cash to run 2x 290x Lightnings for not much of a gain in performance over my vanilla 290x's.

Anyone know the actual price this monster will carry in USD? $900.00?

14. Smikis

Smikis Active Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Tri-X R9 290
    so it offers 5% overclock, and 1% increase over reference 290x? ( or which 290x it was compared to? ), and super high end card for super hardcore made for overclocking gets praised for those results? You guys cant be serious about this.

15. amlett

amlett Guest

GPU:
    R9 290X
    I was hoping better clocks. Mine did 1180 on air with stock cooler and 1225 with the ek block. Anyway that cooler does a great job.

16. lord_zed

lord_zed Active Member

GPU:
    980ti MOD 1500/8000 LC
    Well i would like to point out MASSIVE FLAW in this whole review.
    You used 14.01 drivers for Overclocking !!!!
    Are You aware that +50% power limit DOES NOT WORK in 14.1 and 14.2 drivers ??
    In my case i am loosing around 5-10% over 13.12 whql drivers with both mantle beta drivers due to power limit.

So basically if whole test was using new betas. Its...Crap :(

17. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    I would not go thruogh the hassle at this point and hope its under 800usd.

For the rest of you guys dont kill the messinger,great review boss and glad you got the card without further delay