Was buying this 4GB 770 for playing at 1080p a mistake?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Xialoh, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Xenotone

Xenotone Guest

GPU:
    780 Ti SLI H2O 1230mhz
    True, but Skyrim is a good enough reason in my opinion. Thanks to mods I don't think I'll stop playing that game until the next one comes out. I wish my Ti had more vram.

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    You can add Crysis 2 DX11, Crysis with mods, COD Ghost with mods and other games with graphic heavy mods slapped on top.
    But then again, it depends if your into modding or not.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  3. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Thats what I said 2gb is enough for 99% of games out there.

4. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    True but the OP wrote "I was looking to upgrade from my GTX 560 TI, primarily for the purpose of playing Battlefield 4, and what will, eventually, be a heavily modded Skyrim. "

5. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya I grabbed the FTW 4GB version, I figured for 50 bucks more why not? It can't hurt, and you'll be ready for a bigger v-ram game. Win, Win far as I see it. Having less could hurt you, having more wont. I got same card as you MINERIA, just FTW version. and Dual Bios. This thing runs pretty d.a.m.n. cool with stock cooling, I think, I'm sure ACX plate helps. And putting my 660TI in PhysX, it tears it up, I was very, very happy with choice, considering the money too, I thought it was a good deal, Price/Performance wise. I got mine for $425.00 @ Amazon. My wife is pretty d.a.m.n. cool about [lets face it] letting me upgrade and do chit to my computer, but I wasn't gonna push it ordering a 780TI, lol.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  6. Red River

Red River Guest

how much does it have?
    Skyrim won't be stable when using more than 3GB thanks to crappy console legacy...

7. TheGuuH

TheGuuH Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 470 XFX
    Well I am using the stock cooler, with 4.2 and the max temp is 75ºC (28ºC~30ºC ambient temp with AS-5 thermal paste)

8. zantetheo

zantetheo Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 770 OC 4GB
    What does having more video memory actually help? In order to answer that, we need to know what graphics memory is used for. This is simplifying a bit, but it helps with:

Loading textures
    Holding the frame buffer
    Holding the depth buffer ("Z Buffer")
    Holding other assets that are required to render a frame (shadow maps, etc.)

A graphics card with more memory allows you to:

1) Play at higher resolutions
    2) Play at higher texture quality settings
    2) Play with higher render-based antialiasing settings

What happens when graphics memory is completely consumed? The short answer is that graphics data starts getting swapped to system memory over the PCI Express bus. Practically, this means performance slows dramatically, particularly when textures are being loaded. You don't want this to happen. It'll make any game unplayable due to massive stuttering.

So, how much graphics memory do I need?

If you own a 1 GB card and a 1080p display, there's probably no need to upgrade right this very moment. A 2 GB card would let you turn on more demanding AA settings in most games though, so consider that a minimum benchmark if you're planning a new purchase and want to enjoy the latest titles at 1920x1080.

As you scale up to 1440p, 1600p, 2160p or multi-monitor configurations, start thinking beyond 2 GB if you also want to use MSAA. Three gigabytes becomes a better target (or multiple 3 GB+ cards in SLI/CrossFire).

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/graphics-card-myths,3694.html

As for me playing at this settings in BF4 vram is hitting 2GB. I could raise it up a little more (over 2GB VRam) but i cant sacrifice smooth gameplay (solid 60fps) on a online fps game

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014