xbox one and resolution

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by drbaltazar, Feb 10, 2014.

1. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    I honestly don't know the xbox one potentiality performance wise!aside from not having enough interrupt for gpu and maybe a few thing that can read and write simultaneously,tiling can close the gap but ms doesn't have only this to close the gap they got donnybrooks on hand if needed ,remote differential compression etc ! I ll wait to condone ms xbox one ! why ? when was the last time you ever saw ms design a computer chip for their own intention ? IT NEVER HAPPEN ! ever ! they always use exisiting stuff! for them to go grab something and then optimize it for their own purpose and they didn't half ass this either , they use esram dual port in a ddr4 config ! this doesn't exist yet ! don't search nobody use this configuration .it is so advanced I bet even chip maket ask why did ms bother ! nobody knows or its under nda ! but ask your self this ! what created the last xbox popularity ? halo ! right ? yet here we are we have xbox one and halo isn't out ,and ms isn't in a hurry to lunch it yet ! doesn't it sound odd that the game that basicly made xbox popular is still a no show ? I suspect xbox as plenty of power . I don't know how ms plan to do the overhead on their server instead of the console ( a la mantle or direct x 12) but I suspect this is exactly what ms plans are ! xbox one is likely gona be the first thing to get ms version of mantle but it will likely be offloaded on ms server via remote differential compression or other toy ms has ! it is the only lily explaination that make sense ! yes ms isn't ready but I suspect they will be when halo lunch!

2. Robschina

Robschina Guest

GPU:
    nvidia gtx 1080 sli
    You just subliminally made me hungry...lunch!! lol

3. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    apparently ms just region locked all digital games and dlc, some people are being prompted to repurchase games they've already payed for.

Though i did read that ms only ever said that hard copies would be region free.

4. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    There is no region lock!its buyer being stupid (there is no such thing as global currency !meaning 60 euro is not worth 60 pesos

5. (.)(.)

(.)(.) Banned

GPU:
    GTX 970
    ah, so similar to steam and its rules against using vpn to buy cheaper keys through its store.

6. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    I5 2500 k l1 i$ 8 way Id 8 way ,xbox one or ps4 i$ 2 way Id 8 way !so I suspect my old I 5 2500k to still be ahead by a lot.this part is one thing you can't cheat.force feeding via only 2i$ on a 8 core ? Intel install 8 on a 4 core. There must be a reason

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  7. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
  8. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    Nice find ! Basicly ! Both of those are maxed at 1080i .2 faction must roaring with laughter at ms and Sony ! Steam and TV .TV industry have been saying for decade 1080 i is it for the mass !with window being patched to use itsc I suspect the 1080i quality was upped by a lot.I all have to look into it when I'm back home

9. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    9:10 sound legit :rolleyes:

I understand what they are trying to say its 1080i buts still this game played fine at 1080p @30 on SP and keep in mind this is all new to the DEV's everyone knows they have never programmed from the ground up for DX11 or any of these advanced features thy are starting to use. It will take then a while to get the **** strait. Plus I never expected KZ to run at 1080/60 in the first place. It was a rushed launch title from a developer that has never been that impressive IMHO.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014
  10. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Happened before, many of the later CoD games on 360 and ps3 use these square resolutions.

Black ops 2 is 11:9

Think quite a few PS2 games did it too.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Considering i don't think many people noticed Killzone MP res was 960x1080 then MS should probably take note of what they were doing since they will need to do the upscaling thing more often.

It's good to know they were making sacrifices to get the game near 60fps in MP, but probably should of mentioned this.

12. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    the KZ multiplayer scaling was pretty advanced. It was 1080p vertical only though. They only rendered ever other horizontal column and used the previous frame data in between. Think temporal interlacing.

13. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    Last I checked that's what they call 1080i,(I for interlaced)this is 1080i with a deinterlacer, its been existing for ages !the repeater algorithm if I recall is avail in AMD GPU CCC (one of those deinterlacer is it !if I recall or I read about it elsewere .it isn't a new thing.
    I don't condone 1080i with invariant tsc and properly set os to take advantage of invariant tsc ?its better then 1080p.the main problem about 1080i is the lack of streaming software but given this is ms and sony we talk about here !I don't sweat it, both can make this happen fast !and I suspect both won't beat around the bush very long ,1080i is best compromise ?they all use it !it pretty much give almost same performance of PC for half the resource cost !and if the algorithm for deinterlacing doesn't like invariant tsc ,sony and xbox can copy and paste what they need and mod the algorithm value that don't agree with invariant tsc lol!can't wait to see this .I prefer a 1080i then 720p!even if if it has temporal deinterlacing or other means (to be tested with invariant tsc to know which perform the best .1080i is still the better choice quality wise !and it keep hardware cooler given it refresh once every 33.4 ms instead of 16.7 ms so 50% first pass 50 % second pass.hell I bet they can buffer a few frame to make look like progressive .so nothing will be noticeable on screen.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
  14. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    ^ For God's sake man, please use some semblance of a sentence structure. Reading any of your posts is like pulling teeth. It's painful.

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    But wait, i thought it was not about teh res. lol

16. Shadowdane

Shadowdane Maha Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4080 FE
    They aren't sending interlaced signals... it's still progressive scan. They are just rendering in a lower resolution and stretching the image to 1080p.

1080i is actually 1920x540 for each frame at 60fps... interlaced basically means it renders every other horizontal line per frame.

I haven't seen any games that have rendered in interlaced modes unless you set something funky in the display output.

17. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I am so confused :3eyes:

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I own an Xbox One and a PS4. However, I've found myself buying all my non-exclusives games for the latter because, well, why would I buy an inferior version that runs at 720p or a lower framerate when there's a better version for the same price on the PS4? The answer is I wouldn't and haven't so it means that my Xbox One remains pretty much unused while my PS4 gets regular use as there's usually a release every week (this week it gets Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes and inFamous: Second Son).

I have to admit that I've been underwhelmed by the Xbox One so far. The interface is cumbersome and sluggish with everything, even the Store and Settings, loaded as apps and requiring 3-5 seconds to open. The PS4 in comparison is slick and fast. Klinect is just a useless brick that is seldom used or needed for games and its voice-command detection is more miss than hit (it detects my commands perhaps 30-40% of the time at best). The hardware is clearly underpowered too and the idea of playing games at 720p, even if it's 60 FPS, is laughable in 2014. Metal Gear Solid 5: GZ runs at 720p and 60 FPS on the Xbox One for example but it's 1080p and 60 FPS on the PS4. It looks like a blurry 360 game on the XBO. One of the launch games, Dead Rising 3, while reasonably enjoyable, also runs at 720p and 30 FPS.

True, it's the games that really matter not the resolution but if you're paying £400-£430 for a console that is expected to last 7-8 years then you expect it to have the performance to last the duration. Are people really going to be happy playing games on the XBO at 720p in five years time when 4K has become the current standard? Titanfall, the much hyped saviour of the XBO runs at a pathetic 792p on the XBO with a variable framerate of up to 60 FPS and lots of screen tearing when it dips below that. The game doesn't even look that great, even maxed out a PC, as it is using the decade old Source engine, albeit modified to support DX11.

If anyone asks me which console to get out of the two then I always recommend the PS4. It isn't perfect but Sony seem to know exactly what the PS4 is and are offering what their fans wanted: a more powerful pure gaming console successor to the PS3 that is easier for developers to code for and one that isn't hindered by having pointless TV integration, voice-commands or motion control (although the latter two are still options if you decide to buy the camera).

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  19. Datagg3

Datagg3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 5970 BE
  20. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    MS Mantle for Xbox... the problem with the X1 isn't the CPU. The GPU is lacking compared to the PS4. You can't add more transistors with a software upgrade. DX12 won't really do much for the system imho. It and the PS4 are already closed platforms, so I'd expect the biggest DX12 improvements to be on the PC side.