Boot problems

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by dxmc4, Feb 27, 2014.

1. dxmc4

dxmc4 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 OC
    I've been using AMD cards for almost five years now and this is a new one. I recently updated from the latest stable release to the first beta and ran into an occasional problem with jagged blue flashes during startup and flickering when going to desktop. When the latest beta came out I tried that and found that although the flashes were gone my startup time had doubled. So I tried rolling back to the last stable release and ran into the same problem, although those drivers worked fine before.

I eventually did a system image restore and returned to the first betas and everything was fine, although the screen flashes returned. But I've tried this several times with a few different drivers now and every time I change drivers I run into this startup problem no matter which driver version I change to.

There are no error messages in the AMD install log or Event Viewer and when I compare boot logs from when the system is booting normally and when it isn't there are no indications there of any problems either. I've never seen a problem like this and I'm pretty much stumped. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edit: I should add that I'm using Win 7(x64)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. xxela

xxela Master Guru

GPU:
    RX6800 XT Red Devil
    I had a similar problem some time before. After I uninstalled 13.50 beta, I think, every driver that I tried resulted in black screen on start up. I tried everything and the problem persisted. Eventually I did a fresh reinstall of windows and I didn't had any problem since then.
    So I think that when I swap the new card R9 290 and didn't do a reinstall of the system whatever I tried to purge the system from the leftovers of the last card drives it wasn't enough.

3. gallimar

gallimar Guest

GPU:
    2x ATI R270x 2GB 256Bit
    You updated your BIOS?

Latest for your Motherboard is dated 2013-11-14

4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC

5. gallimar

gallimar Guest

GPU:
    2x ATI R270x 2GB 256Bit

You updated your BIOS?

Latest for your Motherboard is dated 2013-11-14

the latest for win 7 64bit chipsets is dated 2013-10-14

The latest for your intel management engine driver is 2013-10-16

If you let windows manage these things expect issues, as I had the same issue as you from AMD v13 driver to AMD v14 driver.

I was fine in v13 drivers, and blamed the v14 drivers but the seemingly unrelated updates to my BIOS and chipsets fixed all the issues I had with v14 drivers

I.E dont let windows manage your drivers in high performance environment. Download only from manufacturer

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014
  6. dxmc4

dxmc4 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 OC
    That's not actually a new release, the last new release was 25.0, then there's 25.1 and 25.2 which essentially update the Intel ME firmware. I have 25.1 and I'm very reluctant to flash again except as a last resort given that, apart from the AMD driver issue, everything is working fine, and there were no problems with earlier drivers and this BIOS version, this just came up when I installed the 14.1 beta 1.6. But I'm going to explore that issue a little further by checking with some people over in the MSI forum. Thanks for the suggestion.

I used Driver Fusion in safemode, although I've never really had a lot of faith in it since it changed from the earlier freeware version, pre-Treexy. I'll try the program you suggested and see if that helps. It really seems as though the problem would likely be related to something leftover from 14.1 beta 1.6 since the problem comes up whether I update or rollback.

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea DDU is the advised method of removing old drivers these days

8. gallimar

gallimar Guest

GPU:
    2x ATI R270x 2GB 256Bit
    Definatley explore it, I was the same as you; was working fine except when I changed to v14 things went bad and on v13 things were all good

The seemingly unrelated updates fixed my issue and v14 went good

ASUS listed my BIOS changes as having more compatibility with PCIE cards and stability fixes, and they added a whole new range of CPU's to the chipset drivers. So I was almost a whole year behind from my end -

200FPS on mantle BF4 here most of the time with crossfire 270x

9. dxmc4

dxmc4 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 OC
    Just gave that a try but it didn't help, still the same startup delay.

10. gallimar

gallimar Guest

GPU:
    2x ATI R270x 2GB 256Bit
    go to msconfig and disable all startup items that arent normal startup items (Or at the very least disable the ATI start up items.)

What happens then?

11. dxmc4

dxmc4 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 OC
    Same thing. The delay occurs between the time the Windows logo appears and the logon screen, when Windows is loading drivers and starting services. But the boot log doesn't show any drivers failing to load. At this point I'm leaning towards a conflict of some kind with other hardware.

12. gallimar

gallimar Guest

GPU:
    2x ATI R270x 2GB 256Bit
    unplug all usb! sounds lame right? Ive been surprised a couple of times with that one

just leave keyboard and mouse

Disable integrated graphics in bios if you havent already and make sure theres no trace of it in windows device manager

using DDU in safe mode is sound advice

13. dxmc4

dxmc4 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 OC
    Well that's a surprise. I found that if I disconnected my USB external drive during startup it solves the problem, although it wasn't a problem before I changed drivers. Can't imagine why the GPU drivers would have caused a slowdown with a USB device but it looks like that's what it was. Much thanks for the tip, sometimes the most unusual advice turns out to be the best. Appreciate you taking the time to help. :)

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    check in your BIOS that USB is not set to 1st boot device

15. gallimar

gallimar Guest

GPU:
    2x ATI R270x 2GB 256Bit
    No Problem

Definatley still follow up on updating your BIOS in the MSI forums

It may handle the loading of your USB devices better or stop conflicts when starting up the low level access to the PCIE slot for your GPU. Your drivers have changed and so has the way your drivers talk to your card in the low level environment which could be the possible cause of the new USB device loading problem. I am not saying this is why the weird USB problem. But its worth a shout. Software and hardware is a delicate thing these days in custom systems.

You could also try for newer USB drivers for that device or try window automated drivers for your usb device if not already. MAybe even just uninstalling and re installing the same drivers could even fix it.

Ive seen many people scream and shout over updating those boards by the way. looks nasty :(

The advice above is also another way to handle it - but you may find its already set to that also

Last edited: Mar 3, 2014

16. dxmc4

dxmc4 Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Radeon 7870 OC
    Well the USB drive was not set to start first, the USB drivers are also up to date, I think the problem is just that it's an older drive, it's kind of weak in relation to the rest of the system, problems with it were bound to start showing up sooner or later and I should probably replace it. I've just been using it for backups and some games. So I think it's time to look for a new one.

Updating the BIOS for this board is fairly nasty because you can turn your board into a paperweight and nothing can be done about it. Nonetheless I've done it before, I just have to make the time to do that again.