Nvidia Is About To Steal The Cryptocurrency Mining Crown From AMD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by (.)(.), Feb 21, 2014.

1. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Indeed. I'm building a rig this week (just bought everything yesterday) and I'd been watching craigslist as well as newegg/amazon. I was mainly focusing on nvidia (as I prefer them and I grabbed a 760) but I still keep my options open and look at AMD. There were no options on the red team as all of the decent ones I would consider were overpriced due to miner demand.

Friggin' free money falling from the sky causing our gaming GPUs to be marked up over demand from non-gamers. You can't make this stuff up. :bang:

Screw it. If ya can't beat 'em... I have a rig with a 5770 that sits idle when my son isn't with me. It isn't the greatest mining card but I looked it up and it isn't terrible. I think I'll let the guy I work with who mines set it up for me to mine litecoins (I'm a skeptic so I don't even bother). I think it's good for maybe $50/month which should easily cover power draw. I'll see if that works out and consider making a dedicated minimalist mining rig afterwards ...and perhaps a mining server farm by year's end. :nerd:

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Shhh...Don't tell Al Gore, He needs more ammunition...

3. Lane

Lane Guest

GPU:
    2x HD7970 - EK Waterblock
    I dont see miners buy 3x more gpu's for beat 290 mining system...

Mining watts usage is not the max TDP.. ( Mining system is made in general with 8 gpu / board , so going for a 24GPU system made with 750TI for replace "one system " ( so 3 cpu + 3 motherboards + 3x8 GPU's )..

But its interessant none the less. ( if it can bring down prices on usa for 290.. lol ) ..

Funny enough, here 290x prices is stable at MSRP ( 500$ )

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  4. pbvider

pbvider Guest

GPU:
    GTX
    "Nvidia’s high-end Maxwell cards drop later this year (possibly by late March)"
    Hope is truth coz I don`t have a GPU right now.

5. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    This post makes me .....damn....... i'm shivering.......

Remembering Radeon XT 9800 v/s NV 5800

6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    hehe, if its true i wonder if all the miners will trade in their amd cards for nvidia's

7. nvgrim

nvgrim Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 680 4Gb
    You do realize that GPU's are not made strictly for gaming right? BTW i wouldnt mine LTC with just one 5770,youd be better off mining a diffrent alt coin.

8. tugCREW

tugCREW Member

GPU:
    zotac gtx 480 1.5gb SLI
    something great about to happen

9. cyclone3d

cyclone3d Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS R9 390
    What most people don't know is that the miner client that supports AMD GPUs has not been updated in quite some time.

The one that supports Nvidia GPUs has been updated recently however, and hashrate was about doubled if I remember correctly.

I am guessing that if the mining client for AMD cards was updated as well, the story might be different then it is right now.

10. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    It was optimized for AMD first, Nvidia second, AMD isn't going to suddenly see a large boost. Regardless it doesn't matter, ASIC miners for litecoin are coming shortly and once that happens GPU's will be pretty much useless in comparison.

Also this article is is kinda flawed. A R270x mines at 450 for 20-30w more than the R265. Litecoin mining scales significantly better with memory bandwidth.

Basically Nvidia essentially caught up with AMD in terms of performance.

11. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Sure, but they weren't made for mining, which is the driving force behind the price gouging.

RE: 5770. This is why I'll let my coworker set it up. I don't even know the nomenclature.

It is good to hear the craziness will stop in relation to our GPU prices.

12. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    That kind of comment makes me want to kill myself, even if it is a joke.

13. nvgrim

nvgrim Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 680 4Gb
    exactly,they are made to do high end calculations. The price increase was simple supply and demand. No one expected the sudden surge of GPU purchase and the supply was running slim,so they do what any business does and increase the price because,hey if people will pay for it why not? BTW GPU mining isnt going away anytime soon. Especially when BTC has a big change again,there will be another wave.

14. BABA-The Hacker

BABA-The Hacker Banned

GPU:
    PALIT GTX770 OC 2GB
    According to the thread...convincingly.... there's something going around.... with the APUs, "tailor-made AMD's RX... RAM and RX 2XX GPUs...

15. VultureX

VultureX Banned

GPU:
    MSI GTX970 SLI
    The inventors of these things obviously didn't think about the ethical and environmental implications his coins have.
    All he was thinking about is moneyz.

16. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    Impressive for a low end card.

17. nvgrim

nvgrim Member

GPU:
    PNY GTX 680 4Gb
    you should really do more research on crypto currency before you make yourself look even more ignorant. The environmental effect of mining is little to none,hell these past few months most people didn't even use the heater in their house since the pcs mining provided enough heat. Also if you care about the carbon footprint but still want to get into crypto there is always exchanges were you can buy the coins and never have to mine.

18. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    What I personally hope for you people in the US is that eventually ATI and NVIDIA become rather EQUALLY good in mining, creating a null effect and bringing prices back to normal.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    A little bit of math will tell you that's not true.
    If your numbers for the 270x are correct, it mines at 2.5 kh/s per watt. The 750 Ti mines at 4.03 kh/s per watt. That's a significant jump.

20. screwtech02

screwtech02 Master Guru

GPU:
    6900 XTU
    We can only hope that the "fed" stomps the crap outa all MINERS.... Then, maybe we can get some decent prices on gaming cards.... Like I said we can HOPE....