Onboard Sound Vs. Add in Sound Card

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by ROBSCIX, Mar 10, 2006.

1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    The console launcher is for changing between the 3 different modes, which has there own seperate options and config.

2. fr33jack

fr33jack Guest

GPU:
    1050Ti @1.9/ 9.0GHz
    @GenClaymore,
    but I can do this through Creative Audio Control Panel instead. All modes are working fine - Entertainment, Gaming, Audio Creation. All settings like bass boost, crystalizer, cmss-3d and such that I have in Console launcher take place in Control Panel - I checked it...

EDIT:
    I found the solution to my "low voice volume level in movies"...kinda:
    1. Install the SB X-Fi series Support Pack 2.5 (10/25/2011) by daniel_k (with those the voice volume level in movies was normal)
    2. Reboot. Uninstall all X-Fi series Support Pack 2.5 softwares and keep all the Creative Tech. reg entries intact. Reboot.
    3. Install latest versions of Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi series driver 2.18.0015 (2013), Creative Console Launcher (Beta) 2.61.49 and Creative ALchemy 1.43.27. Reboot.

After this all strange things (bugs) with sound level of voice, effects and bass in movies was gone :)

Also, about my previous question about Console launcher...I noticed a strange bug - without Console launcher the sound levels (main, digital-in, midi, line-in, mic, etc.) was always resetting after I was changing the audio modes (Game, Entertainment, etc.) in Creative Audio Control Panel - they did not save themselves. After installing Console launcher this issue resolved.
    those thoughts was absolutely wrong...sorry :) - I found the real problem of causing those issues as the solution.

EDIT2:
    Back to Console Launcher...or I can do this - install Console Launcher and uninstall Control Panel - all X-Fi settings are working fine in Console Launcher after CP remove. So, why do I need to use both Console Launcher and Control Panel if they working separately from each over...I just don't get it.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  3. tand

tand Member Guru

GPU:
    220GT
    Hi guys,

Need to choose between the asrock h87 fatality or the gigabyte g1 sniper b5.
    Choice mainly about the alc 1150 or alc 898.
    Which is better?

4. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The ALC1150 is superior, if you're going with onboard sound it's what I'd aim for. Both companies make solid motherboards.

5. tand

tand Member Guru

GPU:
    220GT
    Thanks. I like the new sniper z versions.but they aren't available yet.

6. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Why is this still a sticky thread? The info is not true anymore.

EAX is dead.

There's no FPS loss with onboard vs sound card.

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    You said a whole lot of nothing, what is your point? Soundcards have never been about FPS improvements.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Visit your local Otolaryngologist.

9. ROBSCIX

ROBSCIX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    22" LCD on GTX260 C216
    Did you actually read the thread? If you did, I suggest you read it again because you missed the main point of the thread, which is about getting the best sound quality. EAX and CPU cycles where included for thoroughness but always secondary.

10. hold_on_tight

hold_on_tight Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 660 Ti
    Thanks, good one.

11. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Depending on the exact card you bought, there was no difference in FPS in the past either. If you upgraded from onboard to say, an AudigySE, the only benefit was sound quality. That's now a constant regardless of what card you buy.

EAX and performance benefits are the only things that are irrelevant these days. Dedicated sound cards still sound better than Realtek and VIA integrated crap.

12. ---TK---

---TK--- Guest

GPU:
    2x 980Ti Gaming 1430/7296
    haha funny stuff here^^^

13. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    That is not the reason why people use sound cards in the first place, if you want FPS gains, you upgrade your GPU not your sound card. Most onboard audio do not have functions like Dolby Headphone, CMSS3D or SBX surround which alot of people use while they game, Also Z87 motherboards might be a step up from motherboards audio from older chipset's they still limited with those same functions. I my self still use a sound card because I want Dolby headphone, and my motherboard does not have it nor any X-FI MB3 support at all, other wise I would use my optical on my mobo if it had the support.

They still doesn't replace the need for a sound card, not when analog quailty is in mind, Having a replaceable op-amp or using better IC then the older design is a improvement, The headphone amp IC and design for onboard audio is still lacking as using a STX or ZXR etc will still do a better job at driving headphones then Z87 onboard's. You def don't want to be usin'g a Beyerdynamic T90, or a HE-500 let alone DT990/880 pro, AKG 702 with the onboard hp amp and I pray one is not trying to use a 600ohm DT770/880/900 with it either or any other headphone that req a lot of power even for low ohm's to be driven.

EFX replaced EAX for many years now but they are still games that do come out that are OpenAL based or FmodEX+Openal or some form of it, and most onboard's still output Openal based games in 2 channel instead of 5.1. Only ones that this doesn't apply to are those that using the core3D for audio,Or X-FI MB. Asus card's GX mode gets around this issue by making it work. Then you have those odd Miles Sound system games, yea that api still exist and they still use it too, those need Alchemy or Asus GX to for muiti channel in and realtek stop caring and never updated their program which is another reason for a sound card If you have those games for that exact reason.

In fact I have a friend right now who uses HDMI for audio and runs into issues like this where he has to use the receiver to upmix the 2 channel audio to emulated 5.1. I kept telling him if he had a sound card, one with DTS/DD live and/or the options I mentioned, he wouldn't have to go thru it, but hes the stubborn type that think using HDMI over optical matters when it comes to gaming, when it doesn't since games are not uncompressed and are 16bit/44khz anyway, if he did nothing but watched Movies then that be a different story. Tho HDMI on Z87 mobo's uses intel HDMI audio codec for some silly reason too, instead of the actual onboard audip chip.

Also native Asio and not the Kernel streaming wrapper which what Asio4all is still req one to get a sound card if they want actual Asio for recording or bit match playback so their source is not temped with when music or recoding, Unless the onboard is a sound core chip.

even tho like mobo's like Z87 sniper with the better audio layout then most motherboard exist, If you care about getting the most from your analog audio, a good sound card or a External dac amp will always be needed. Onboard audio's wont replace it totally, just like how IGPU's doesn't replace Gpu's even if they improved over the years.

The only way I can see onboard audio totally replacing sound cards is if they move from the current design of them in general. Move every thing to either a Front panel box that take 2 drive bay's and usb or some other form for power. Then design a better layout, Kinda like a External dac amp but inside a drive bay type box, Unless they go for a total external dac amp route like some people wish they do. So they can have High end style external dac's while getting there gaming functions all in one go.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  14. xynxyn

xynxyn Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Wanted to finally have real headphones on the PC and bought Beyerdynamic 770Pro 250ohm and due to good reviews of it's user's I also ordered Asus Xonar U7 USB DAC with it.

No way back since then. Solely for Dolby Home Theater and the Amplifier of course.
    Movies and TV-Shows are finally balanced between speech/music/sound effects.

Didn't like it for music but then made my own settings with its profiler and this changed everything for me. FLAC only of course with foobar2000 for playback. The dynamic sound processing really changed the experience. Was able to get a nice bass boost along with it and only with those settings I was able to get the fullest out of the headphones. Dynamic playback is everything for me now :)

15. fisher6

fisher6 Active Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970 GTX 4GB
    I bought the X-Fi XtremeGamer back in the days and have always been a fan of creative sound cards. I'm looking for a newer one along with a set of 5.1 speakers. Any suggestions? Leaning towards the Creative Sound Blaster Z.

16. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    Just another info

I just got these a week ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Site link:

http://www.swanspeaker.com/product/htm/view.asp?id=443

Already had Asus Xonar DX. Today I downloaded realtek drivers of motherboard to compare onboard sound and sound from sound card. Used same player same track same volume and the difference was night and day. With the realtek sound was hollow, crackling and lacked quality. It distorted on full volume. Nothing of that happens when connected to DX. No distortion on full volume, songs sound full rich and far superior. Just sharing as I could barely notice any difference between the two as I had ****ty speakers before. adding up more..:infinity:
    I have disabled onboard sound in BIOS ;) Never to be enabled again.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2015
  17. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    I have Audio Technica M50 and Fiio E10. A friend has the same but Xonar U7. We compared the U7 with Fiio E10. U7 sounds richer and fuller I love listening to music with E10. It is just so much powerful than U7.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  18. boerenlater

boerenlater Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 610 silent
    I just want to share my short experience.
    Today I'm getting a new (2nd handed) gpu which occupies 2 slots instead of 1 my current is using so I had to remove my X-FI.
    I've been using it for 7 years and it wasn't the best available I sure enjoyed its quality.

Now I am forced to use the onboard Realtek ALC662 and luckily there are modded drivers available which install some X-FI abilities.

I did only some short music tests but I'm sort of happy it doesn't sound too bad. I mean I can hear the difference but at least it's not too bad.

Used with cheap Logitech X-230 speakers.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  19. RagDoll_Effect

RagDoll_Effect Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2x nvidia GTX 560 SLI
    Congrats mate, yup I've heard of these particular speakers before and they're meant to be quite good. +1 on soundcards in general too :)

regards,
    RagDoll.

20. Killswitch

Killswitch Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire ATI R7 240
    Thanks RagDoll :)