headset + soundcard

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by head, Feb 4, 2014.

1. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Best thing you should do is a get a headphone and get a clip on mic or DIY a mic that extends from the headphone, Most gaming headsets are a waste of money any way. You get your money worth from better quality headphones are the same and lower price.

Then use the sound card to do either dolby headphone(Asus) or SBX pro surround (Z series) and set the games and windows to 5.1 and the sound card panel to headphone.

2. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
  3. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I would say the DT 880 premium's if i knew which ohm model that is in the link, because they don't mention it. There are 3 different ones with 3 different ohm ratings. If that is the DT880 premium 250 ohm model then that what I would suggest over the DT880 pro-250. The Pro-250 sound stage is smaller then the premium 250's and the Pro-250 also have alot of clamp force meaning the headphones will be tight on your head. Tho you can use books to loosen it, because of the clamp force on the DT880 pro-250, it will have more bass then the premium 250's. But you might not like the way the headphone feels on your head because of the clamp force. Also the coil cable on the pro-250 might annoy you, wheres the premium's has a straight cable.

The main thing the K701 has going for it is it Big and Wide sound stage but the K701 will sound a bit too bright. They are also source/amp picky too. The bass will let you know its there. the DT880 premium if they are the 250ohm's will be a great choice, even tho their sound stage is not big like the K701's, their sound stage is bigger then the pro-250's.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  4. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    I just checked and I think it depends where I buy them, I found 2 shops that sell the 250ohm premium ones so if I want them, I can buy them without any problem.

Is the Sound Blaster Z enough to power these things?

I do play a lot of games and on some review sites they rate the sennheiser 360 / sennheiser 598 very high because they are good for competetive games, are these GT 800's also good for games?

I am sorry for the maybe stupid questions but this is like the first time I buy a high end headset/headphone and I rather do some extra research before I buy something.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    The Z will power DT 880 250 Ohm fine, I know, I run exactly that atm. For 600 Ohm you might want more power.

6. TirolokoRD

TirolokoRD Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI ACX 2
    Why in earth would you want that much power in your ear *smh*

7. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    Why not? It's not like power only relates to loudness, you still have volume control options. Some headphones require more kick in order to function properly. It's not going to do you any harm.

8. Arbold

Arbold Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac Amp Extreme
    I don't know if the sb z has the same amp as the zxr but if you can get yourself the dt 880 600ohm. They sound great.

9. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    The amp in both products is different, although the one in the Z is still rated for up to 600ohms. I'm not entirely sure how good they'd be at running 600ohm cans though, I'd probably not try it myself.

Z = Maxim MAX97220A

ZxR = 80mw TI TPA6120

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  10. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    Judging how they drive my 250 Ohm DT880, I would say 600 Ohm would be pushing it on a Z. the Z is about fine for 250 Ohm, not quite enough when you're drunk and just want to blast your ears off with a tune, but for 99% of the time you'll run them at around 50-70% volume for loud listening, sub 50% for normal listening.

11. Tacoboy

Tacoboy Guest

GPU:
    AMD 7800
    Last week I tested my Beyer 600-ohm headphones with a SB-Z, the SB-Z was able to drive them decently.

12. gridiron whirlw

gridiron whirlw Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070Ti
    Some cans require more power to be able to get the most from the headphone.....it may sound fine with a certain amount of power....but with more the headphone really opens up and sounds much, much better.

13. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    Do you think those DT880 are good for gaming? On Some other websites I see that the sennheisers score higher for "games".

What mic do you recommend? Pref a clippon instead of a large one that I have to put on my desk. (not those modmics, the video they have looks nice but the products they sell aren't the same)

14. Arbold

Arbold Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070 Zotac Amp Extreme
    I have the dt 880 600s and i love them for BF4. :) Had the PC350SE before and the 880s sound way better.

15. Darkest

Darkest Guest

GPU:
    3060ti Vision OC V2
    It's all about personal preference. Sennheiser headphones tend to sound different to what Beyerdynamic makes. I'm a huge fan of Sennheiser, but I know people who can't stand them. I'd recommend looking up reviews and comparisons on products in your price range, audition them before buying if you can. If I was buying at the moment in the price range you seem to be looking at I'd be looking at the following:

DT880/990
    Philips Fidelio X1
    AKG Q701

Out of those personally speaking, I'd spring for the Fidelio X1. They're very well priced at the moment and there's a lot of good feedback, especially for gaming.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014

16. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    I am leaning towards the DT990, its more expensive than what I was planning but in the end whats 30 euro more or less.

My main concern is that on some review websites they say that the DT990 (premium) isn't that good for gaming because the bass is too high.
    Could somebody give some extra info about these headphones?

What clippon mic / mic should I buy? I am looking for something that isn't too bulky and is easy to handle, the mod mics looked great but when I was checking the products they came with a lot of warnings.

Thanks for all the help so far!

17. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    from what I'm reading most of the time, in the current line up the 880 range is the "best" out of them all. It's the best balanced headphone in the whole range.

the DT880 Pro 250 I have is fantastic, but after a few days with it I have a couple of niggles. Here they are.

• they're not as comfy as the AD700, because they're slightly heavier and clamp a tiny bit more. The clamping can be slackened a bit by stretching. This, again depends on the size of your head. The AD700 are kinky light and they float on your head, the headband on them is fantastic too, doesn't go all over your head, which I like.
    • the telephone cable cord is a bit of a pita for the way my rig is set up. It's perfect for portable players and such, but it's a bit short coming from the back of my case, without stretching it. It stretches ok, but I don't want to be pulling on it and stress the area around the 3.5mm jack so I ordered a 1m extension cable to give them a bit more breathing room.
    • Other than that, they're fantastic. Sound great, albeit a tiny bit bass heavy for my liking. Maybe I'm just not used to proper bass lol, coming from the AD700. Either way, they're a great buy.

For mic, look into this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Zalman-ZM-MIC1-ZMMIC1-Lapel-Microphone/dp/B00029MTMQ

BTW, I'm assuming running an extension cable for these won't degrade the output much?

18. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I should consider getting harder to drive headphones. Would be nice if I could use 50% instead of ~4%, smaller chance for accidentally blowing my ears and better fine tuning.

19. head

head Guest

GPU:
    ASUS HD7870-DC2
    The more I read about headphones the harder it gets...

Some sites say that the DT990 is great and better than the 880 for gaming, some other site will say the opposite.
    If you guys had to pick a headset just for competitive gaming, what would you pick?

k701 (Q701 are like 360euro so too much for me)
    DT990
    DT880
    Sennheiser 598
    AD700

I would like to buy them today but I am not able to make up my mind.

20. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    purely for gaming, I'd say AD700, I've owned the AD700, Sennheiser HD 555 and also used 595 for a while, use DT 880. Again, purely for gaming, AD700 is amazing, massive sound stage, also the most comfortable.