1. Edamski

Edamski Guest

GPU:
    Palit 460 GTX 1gb
    Sorry if this is the wrong place for this, please move it if it is.

I currently have a TV as my PC monitor and I'm not all that impressed with it to be honest and I'm looking at getting a good 27" screen I was looking at the QNIX but that's no good as I'll be using my PS4 through it and it won't connect.

Anyway, as it's also the TV for my room I'm wandering if anyone has any reccommendations for a TV card as I don't have a clue what's any good and what's to be avoided.

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

2. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    TV card? Such as a TV tuner?

3. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The Qnix works if it's not a single-input model. The multi-input model comes with DP, dual-link DVI, and HDMI.

Regardless, if you were looking at a Korean multi-input model, I'd be taking a good look at alternatives such as the CrossOver Black Tune variants, as those tend to be superior if you're going for a glossy display. For matte, the Qnix, for now, still remains apparently the only choice AFAIK.

No multi-input model OCs to date without skipping frames (read: doesn't OC). You might get a few Hz higher but that's all, e.g. 64Hz.

Most single-input models don't OC as well, mind. Only the Catleap 2B, Qnix / X-Star (they are the same), and Overlord Tempest do.

Regarding the TV tuner, what kind of TV signal do you currently have / use?

4. Edamski

Edamski Guest

GPU:
    Palit 460 GTX 1gb
    Yeah, TV tuner sorry.

Ahhh didn't know they did a multi input version, with regards to matte vs glossy I honestly couldn't tell you what they bring to the table and more to the point my preference to either.

I'm also not bothered about the potential to overclock my monitor, I'd like a 100/120hz monitor if that actually helps with watching sports/playing games but I have no experience. I don't have any preference to a brand either I only mentioned the Qnix because it seems well liked.

I use freeview HD atm which is received through a digital coaxial aerial cable, if that makes sense haha

5. must_kill_ati

must_kill_ati Maha Guru

GPU:
    6800 XT
    Random thoughts, opinions based on a decade of owning/using tuners:

As far as brands of tuners go:

avoid K-World like the plague.

Good bang for buck (high quality) = Hauppauge
    Great, but so 'spensive! = Ceton
    Average quality, average price = Aver Media

Unless you're watching and recording at the same time, don't pay extra for dual tuners. External tuners can be nice, especially if you're feeding more than one pc over the network. Do not get a pci card, unless it's the only slot available (even then, go external if possible instead).

6. Edamski

Edamski Guest

GPU:
    Palit 460 GTX 1gb
    Thanks for the input buddy, from what I've seen the only hauppauge one i've seen suitable for european TV is for a satellite connection.

Alas guess I'm using a TV then!

7. Fatty

Fatty Guest

GPU:
    Foxcon 8800GTS320
    It's been years since I looked at this but suddenly I needed to find one for my fathers PC and I found it very difficult to find one for Freeview HD.

I looked into this pretty extensively and have come to a conclusion.

Still a few tv tuner cards are available and ones that will integrate well into Media Centre at that - if only SD tv is your concern then one of the MC friendly Hauppage solutions would seem a good bet.

But to find a card that does HD is difficult. Most retailers seem to have given up bothering and there had been previous attempts that had since been discontinued ( and accompanied by bad reviews ).

But there are options !

Freeview - description to look for = DVB -T

Freeview HD - description to look for = DVB -T2

There is a hardware difference, not just software.

I read that part of the problem with availability is that our DVB T2 needs in the UK are different from some other international locations so there wasn't quite the incentive to bother making product for this market.

.... But there are now options ......

And here they are :

Black Gold http://www.amazon.co.uk/BGT3620-dual-DVB-T2-Tuner-card/dp/B004V2LKT8

Yo can read around the net to find people say basically,
    - it's well made
    - but many people have had software issues with it

It's a very nice tuner card but to me I wouldn't take the risk of problems, particularly for my non techie father.

The other one I found out of the blue seems to be the best option of all.

TBS 6280 http://www.quietpc.com/tbs-tv-cards

I link this one on the assumption your interest is Freeview and HD at that.
    But there are other cards offering alternatives like Freesat.

The fact that the highly reputable Quiet Pc got involved with them is testiment enough. I also find that reviews around the web are positive, with little reported by way of software issues. Ah at last !
    Also, see this apparently knowledgeable review :

For some reason I couldn't get the link to work, so Google the following tim wolverson wordpress, that should bring up his site and then click tuner cards on the left and you'll find a good reveiw of the 6280.

I think it's clear that for Freeview HD this is the choice.
    Hauppage don't seem to be organised yet and for all we know won't bother.

TBS is it.

I was all set to buy one from Quiet PC but already there stock down from 12 to zero overnight ! They say on the website 3 weeks to new stock.

I would go for one of the TBS - the 6280 if you need Freeview HD

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  8. Fatty

Fatty Guest

GPU:
    Foxcon 8800GTS320
    I assume you're in the UK and you want to watch UK Freeview.

9. Fatty

Fatty Guest

GPU:
    Foxcon 8800GTS320
  10. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    I have TBS 6285 (Quad DVB-T/T2) tuner. It's incredible and I've had zero issues with it. Bought it from eBay (Hong Kong), surprisingly it didn't get stuck in customs.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014

11. Edamski

Edamski Guest

GPU:
    Palit 460 GTX 1gb
    Thank you very much for that guys! Great write up! Not sure how I missed all of them!

12. Fatty

Fatty Guest

GPU:
    Foxcon 8800GTS320
    If you go to the Quiet PC page it shows four models with different tuner options - dual, quad, Sat , DVB T2 + Sat, sort of thing. The 6280 I just bought has dual DVB T2 tuner i.e Freeview HD in the UK.

Remember to get the latest drivers and fixes before using it. Maybe phone them. Something to do with a glitch whereby channels are disabled when Media Centre returns from sleep - but they sorted it.

13. Sasquatch

Sasquatch Master Guru

GPU:
    Msi GTX 970 Gaming 4G
    Small sidetrack, do these cards work for US over-the-air digital broadcasting?
    I'm tempted to throw one in the HTPC I'm looking to build, but I'm finding little info on whether I need a digital converter box between the antenna & the tuner/capture card.
    I refuse to pay for cable or satelite TV, but I used to enjoy some of the local broadcasting and the basic networks (CBS, ABC, NBC & PBS) for news & local stuff.
    If all I need is a tuner card & an antenna, then I'll probably go for it.

14. CybrSage

CybrSage Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 560Ti
    A lot of people have had good luck with either a Ceton tuner (which then lets you upgrade to cable and the use of a cablecard later) or with a Silicon Dust tuner (they have a cable card version and a non-cable card version).