Unable to view bios through msi 280x

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Offitmassive, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Offitmassive

Offitmassive Guest

GPU:
    Msi 280x gaming edition
    Hi all, been a long member of avforums and a friend has said good things about guru3d and it's forums and said you may be able to help. Got a new build of msi b75a-g43 gaming mobo with a msi 280x gaming edition gpu. When the gpu is fitted I'm unable to view post screen nor bios , it's jut blank until it shows welcome to windows. Ive tried using my old asus 6770 on the mobo and bios is viewable with that.

Looking for any possible answers? I'm trying to figure out if a bios flash update would help (but then I can't view bios to do this and can't select usb flash drive as priority boot device)

Monitor is a Panasonic p50gt30 tv, connected via Hdmi , gpu has no VGA output , mobo does but my CPU (xeon 3120v2) has no integrated graphics so pretty limited to what I can do

2. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    Either install the 6770 or use live update to update your bios. And see what happens.

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Don't know about the 280X, but the 290 has a BIOS switch that swaps between Legacy and UEFI mode

Maybe needs to be switched ?

4. Offitmassive

Offitmassive Guest

GPU:
    Msi 280x gaming edition
    Yeh I used live update to update mobo bios and that's all been done.

I will try the bios switch this eve. Thanks for the suggestions.

But I can't update gpu bios with 6770 installed, mobo bios is accessible on all tvs , with the 280x it's partially viewable on the samsung 32" tv but it hangs when ever an option is selected. The Panasonic tv is just blank.

I'll update soon

5. Offitmassive

Offitmassive Guest

GPU:
    Msi 280x gaming edition
    Just read that I may I have installed win 7 with the bios switch in the wrong position maybe?? What is the difference between legacy and Uefi bios?

6. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    Nah your windows installation has nothing to do with this. It could be that your tv isnt compatible with UEFI (not being able to handle the resolution i guess) and switching to legacy might solve it. You could also try differend scaling options on your tv.

7. Offitmassive

Offitmassive Guest

GPU:
    Msi 280x gaming edition
    I'm able to see Uefi bios of my mobo through the 6770 , would the switch on the 280x still cause the problem I'm having??

8. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    Well Extraordinary mentioned that your card might have a switch for legacy or uefi mode but i cannot find it anywhere in the manual. I think the switch hes talking about is actually a dual bios. And i dont think flipping the switch would help.

Here's some info about the dual bios.

“Quiet Mode” – Bios position one. Switch is in position closest to where you plug in your displays. This mode is designed to optimally suit a gamer that wants to keep a tight lid on acoustics. If you do not play with headphones, you do not have a high end gaming chassis, or your room’s ambient noise level is extremely low this may be the mode for you.
    “Uber Mode” – Bios position two. Switch is in position furthest away to where you plug in your displays

The Uber mode is designed to perform optimally under all performance and game testing. This includes crossfire.

Have you tried differend scaling options on your tv?

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
  10. Offitmassive

Offitmassive Guest

GPU:
    Msi 280x gaming edition
    That's the card I got, tried it on a mates pc in the same position and it works fine. He doesn't have Uefi bios on his mobo if that matters? I'm going to install 6700 and reset all mobo settings to default . Go from there

11. Offitmassive

Offitmassive Guest

GPU:
    Msi 280x gaming edition
    nope, still the same, mobo bios set to default, still no display until "loading windows " is displayed yet can see mobo bios on 6770

12. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    You could try vga instead of hdmi. Do you have this cable? [​IMG]
    Your videocard came with this adapter
    [​IMG]

13. Unyonface

Unyonface Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX760 SC ACX
    I have an MSI mobo, and only way I can view my bios is to hit F11 and select it from a list. Don't know if that will work for you, but its worth a try....

14. Law-II

Law-II Active Member

GPU:
    Zotac GTX 1080ti Extreme
    Hi

Read here

Remind you of your situation; update I got an e-mail three months later from XFX to say that they think [but they are not sure] that the HD 7990 is faulty and that I should raise an RMA

Workaround is to use another monitor to boot to bios [borrow one from a friend if possible] setup the bios save settings. then use the panny as is, saying that I now use a Philips HD TV instead and have the panny as a second monitor.

what realy made me srcatch my head [if I use another monitor to access the bios screen, remove the HDMI cable from the monitor and place it in the panny I can see the bios screen; however if I restart the system the bios screen dose not show.

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  15. Offitmassive

Offitmassive Guest

GPU:
    Msi 280x gaming edition

16. Offitmassive

Offitmassive Guest

GPU:
    Msi 280x gaming edition
    That sound right yeh, it was viewable on my friends samsung 50" tv, partially viewable on a 26" LCD Samsung, but nothing on my panny

17. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    As you have no problems booting, question is:
    Once you are pressing keys for entering bios if your booting sequence is stopped from going to windows but screen stays off.
    If keys for entering bios are somehow ignored with card in, it's mobo fault and likely needs update.

Side note, my screen is bit slow to start. And uefi passes so fast that even with quick boot disabled, I see only part of boot sequence.

Last possibility is that you really have to use primary port on your VGA which is likely DVI. There you may use conversion to VGA or HDMI.

18. ToBbErT

ToBbErT Member Guru

GPU:
    2x sapphire 7870
    Is this your tv or is it a differend type? http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/TCP50GT30.PDF
    It see a pc port in the manual. The tv came with a pc port to vga adapter wich you can connect a vga cable to. The black cable i showed in the pic.

19. Offitmassive

Offitmassive Guest

GPU:
    Msi 280x gaming edition
    Nope it's the gb version

20. Offitmassive

Offitmassive Guest

GPU:
    Msi 280x gaming edition
    The tx version just filling some posts so I can post a link