Is Mantle exclusive to ATI/AMD or can future nvidia drivers adopt Mantle too?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by dr_hycodan, Feb 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pereprimus

pereprimus Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte r9-290x oc
    Not realy, directx is high level api just like opengl mantle is low level, so basicaly every game using directx and opengl can use mantle if the devs wants to. It's not game engine related, it won't give anything new to a game, it just "accelerate" medium to high configuration to an higher level. We don't talk about nvidia or amd cards nor games engines we're talking about giving more ressource and avoid cpu bottle necks. That's something good for the user (no matter if nvidia or amd), something good for the devs, they have more margin with hardware, that's good for pc video game industry (if a medium pc can handle the last game well, more people will buy games) good for nvidia and amd (people won't change their cpu so often so they'll have more money to buy graphic cards)

2. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Mantle concerns us all, are you a gamer or not?

Again, don't you want to have richer worlds with more stuff going on? and i don't mean particle count.
    You'd rather have what you have now and then maybe in a good year buy a High-end maxwell with ARM cpu for 600-700€, so you can play faster these generic static worlds, yes? :D

If you looked beyond what nvidia thinks moto, then you wouldn't say such stuff..

MS is apparently already working on DirectX next, with improved latency, but its still limited to low directdraw call count, even OpenGL4.3 is faster with 20.000-25.000 calls

Engine isn't affected, game engine is engine, API is just a bridge in between to communicate with gpu via driver. Now the thinner the layer the faster it is, sounds familiar? And while its faster you can use that extra power for more stuff in a game.

what's not to like here?

3. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    Image macroing now? What a sad little man you are. Little flustered are you? Adorable.

And also, btw, in a side note, and all that- why is it somehow close minded to live in reality. In fact, I suggest I'm the expanding one. Ever expanding my horizons because I live and understand reality, and I make it work for me. The world is my oyster, and I am the oyster collector. I also hate oysters and if you like oysters you are part of the problem.

It's clear now. Don't you see? It's the oyster eaters vs. the oyster collectors.

4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    lol I dont need your pity talk

And all I hear form you is some jibberish defending nvidia not to accept mantle because AMD made it and because its a flop. I know, Im nvidia, I know how things work by the big boss.

5. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSi GTX980 GAMING 1531mhz

Yes i want better, but almost all games come from consoles, ported into PC, and we know how badly are some. Will pass some good time until majority of game developers will migrate to this criteria. Games are made within the image of a console hardware. So yes, why not having better and better use of the GPU. But again my brain stops at: competition, you cant have this, for not, lets wait an see, so you cant have it on everything, like having dx11 on every gpu brand.

Yes, dx seems lazy and old compared with mantle, probably this will push MS a little further in making something good, but its their product, mantle, and they will use it on their own. Very curious how nvidia will respond to this (not now) in the coming months. Or they will be satisfied with the fastest GPU vs AMD.

Also a game producer wants the best amount of money, almost all aim for consoles, and less for PC games, i don't think many will be interested of mantle, simply because they don't care about PC market, because PC sales are far less compared with consoles. Wheres money that's where the people are :D

Everyone knows DICE and AMD have a contract, mantle is to come for BF4 like an add, like a presentation of what he can do.

Bottom line: i can be happy if mantle(in his advanced form) will be on nvidia, as long as i can have my nvidia card :D

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  6. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    You little oyster eater! I'm not saying it's a flop, I'm sure it's an awesome API. I would just prefer it not to be made by AMD because of the obvious self interest it imposes. But if NVidia uses it anyway, it still it would be in our best interest that it happened to OpenGL and people used that instead, or even MS.
    But whatever.
    Just don't be suckered into AMD's marketing. Rise above. Rise then fly. From that sort of vantage point you won't have time to eat any oysters, and it also makes it convenient to quickly fly over coast and such to collect oysters.

7. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Lol, Skyrim ? :D

8. pereprimus

pereprimus Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte r9-290x oc
    Well mantle is free, and when a game is done (using directx for example) there's no difficulty to make it mantle (bf4 had to have a patch to implement it, but thief for example will have it native) as it is a bridge, it seems to be simple and fast if you see dev interviews so it could be easily integrated in the development.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I'll give you crabs that will crack your oysters. :roll:

I see Mantle as a opportunity, it can work on both gpu camps if it wants to.. All it takes is a gpu driver.
    And from what i saw its based on both openGL and DirectX extensions and beyond. So it can work on openGL @ Nv gpu, plus extra stuff not present in openGL..

And if MS wrote Mantle, what would be then? more oyster sauce?

10. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    No, i think then it would be available on all platforms from the start. All it can be done. For now they are only forcing to move to AMD GPU(not everyone, the ones that play BF4), because its their own product and they have the rights.
    All it takes a driver, yes, but that will not happen, in my opinion, at least for some big months ahead. I really dont want to die, until i see some reply from nvidia regarding mantle, what they will do :))

11. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    There is oysters in Skyrim?

12. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    There must be some mod.... :)

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    No one is forcing you, that's the point.

Ask nvidia, no harm done.
    Let them make a statement, Im also curious what they have to say..

edit: I already submitted a ticked to driver tech before, will see what they have to say :p
    http://nvidia-submit.custhelp.com/app/ask

14. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Just gibberish bot language...
    Also after the DICE patch on BF4 anyone noticed bigger lod pop-ins ?

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    No jibberish here, just oysters and crabs.

16. CalinTM

CalinTM Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I liked: You little oyster eater

17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Mantle is only AMD exclusive while in beta....which it currently is. Once Mantle is "finalized" it'll be available to nVidia and Intel to write compatible drivers for. From there, it's up to nVidia and Intel to add support for Mantle to their drivers.

nVidia releasing a competing API would be bad. With nVidia's love for proprietary "tech", it wouldn't benefit anyone but nVidia. We'd all be paying more for games, to cover the licensing fees.

18. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    i won't be surprised if Nvidia came out with some API they can use for PR ( and some improvements here and there ) when Maxwell cards comes out

also that API will work only on maxwell cards

so there you go a typical NV plan for the future that might happen for real :p

19. Assirra

Assirra Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Strix 980 4GB
    Yea not really, check the battlelog message where EA/Dice said they have been working closely with AMD for over the last 2years. It has to be implimented in the engine itself as an alternative to directX so i doubt its as easy to impliment as just a patch.

20. pereprimus

pereprimus Guest

GPU:
    gigabyte r9-290x oc
    dice, other devs and amd worked together to create mantle, creating makes much more time than implementing something

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.