Dyna-Z effect

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by LMURO, Aug 7, 2003.

1. LMURO

LMURO Guest

Hi everybody,
    anyone knows if there is a way to make NVIDIA drivers shows the image as Dyna-Z from Elsa Revelator used to?
    Well, perhaps my question should be: there are drivers that have Dyna-Z like effects?

Thanks,
    Leandro

2. RAGEdemon

RAGEdemon Guest

GPU:
    GeForce4 Ti4600
    The whole community has been asking that question since ELSA went bust and nVidia released the first driver, afterall, It /was/ the base factor that made eerything look so amazing...

The simple answer is NO.

It is meant to have, and it is somewhat implemented. It is called "autoconvergeance, though it never works... to an extent that you actually notice anyway.

The problem, from what i remember is that the elsa driver took the nearest object, and made that screen depth, and everything else was into the screen - which made everything float out of the screen for that "WOW" effect. The nVidia driver does not take this initiative, but tries to derive some appropriate (cough) convergeance from the data on the screen, which never works.

Simply put: nVidia are too arrogant and lazy to make anything different, expecially since these stupid flaws are so easily fixed. We have not seen a driver for over a year with siginificant changes. I'd be surprised if they were still working on it.

Every1 knows what its all about: Money!
    They don;t care about the customer, ust theor money. And since there is no competition in the field, we dont have a hope in hell of getting anything better.

--RAGEdemon

3. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    That feature is easy to implement by the driver makers. It should take more than a day, because you have all the data you need.
    What has changed, is the games. I've played many games that have WRONG Z values for their objects. (example, Colin McRae 3.0, inside car view.) Quake3 works great and if you set the convergence, its totaly... WOW. (Another example is the ToCA Race Driver. The protagonist has his eyes out of their sockets. yuck :p)

4. RAGEdemon

RAGEdemon Guest

GPU:
    GeForce4 Ti4600
    hehe yeah,

Though in some games, i really miss it. Games such as homeworld, and cataclysm.

With the nidia driver, yopu have to focus when zoomed into your fleet, but when you zoom out, everything is so deep into the screen, you cannot see any 3D; when you get closser, you get a doublke image.
    With Dyna-Z in the days of Elsa revelator, and Elsa Gladiac, all the ships would float in the middof of the screen right on front of your hands, inm every battle, it was breath-taking.

I don't think the incorrect Z-value is a Game issue, its more a Driver issue, which is not being properly fixed.

Again, taking Cataclysm with nVidia, in D3D, the background floats out of the screen, while the ships are insidem, which really messes up you're eyes. In OpenGL however, everything is prety much perfect, apartfrom the lack of Dyna-Z of-course. With the old ELSA drivers, ok - they didnt support OpenGL, but even in D3D, everything was at a perfect depth.

I have tried hacking the ELSA drivers to work with other cards, but unfortunately it's beyond my programming knowledge. Perhaps some kind sir will come along in bright shining armor and help us sort out this whole mess... (plea)

--RAGEdemon

5. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Background infront and ships at the back?
    Sounds like inverted frames.

6. RAGEdemon

RAGEdemon Guest

GPU:
    GeForce4 Ti4600
    nothing as simple as that i'm afraid. The ships are rendered in perfect depth, as with the astroids, and other wireframes. The background is just converges outside the screen.

Also, the revelator donest have the problem with reverse frames like the ED etc does, therefor is no need (or way) to reverse frames in a game. ;-)

--RAGEdemon

7. Glidefan

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Hm. Could it be something to do with "Backplane"? i don't have the game so i can't test it...

8. RAGEdemon

RAGEdemon Guest

GPU:
    GeForce4 Ti4600
    yeah it does, but you can't actuallt invert the backplane, just make it more or less 3D. Best that can be done is make it at screen depth, which is worse as it forces you to focus on the screen.