Official Intel Haswell (K) Overclocking thread

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by -Tj-, Jun 7, 2013.

1. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    No I didnt mention that timing, leave it at auto, and change only those I mentioned.. Write them down on a paper then look again.

When i compared AIda i saw you have 2 timings to loose.

namely tRTR all at 6 , I have 4-6-7

and tWTR 22-3-3, me higher but guess it should be 22-7-7

One sec let me make a print screen of my timings.

2. k3vst3r

k3vst3r Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KP3090
    Sorted mate

[​IMG]

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Cool :thumbup:

I tried tRFC at auto and it set to 192 from 313, but now I got lower overall speeds.. Looks like lower isn't always better. Manual 214 is another option :D

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  4. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014

5. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black

Btw this tweak is not 100% optimal, here a few extra tips to get lower latency and higher read speeds

CL10-12-11-30

-set command rate to 1T
    -tRFC 214
    -tWTR 10
    -tRTP 10
    -tWLC 9

Edit: or not, for me its still like so

CL10-12-11-30
    -CMD 1T
    -tRFC 214
    -tWTR 9
    -tRTP 9
    -tWLC 7
    -tRRD 6
    -tFAW 28

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  6. draegunstrife

draegunstrife Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Classified
    I need help understanding my UEFI.
    I'd like to keep voltages down (which should help with temperature right?).
    But I also like to keep up a good overclock. I am on the Auto 4.2 mode from my uefi, but if you all can help me optimize speed and temperature, I'd appreciate you gurus very much.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(On this auto mode, the highest I've seen while converting videos, is hitting mid 70's "75-76")

I am using air cool Hyper 212 EVO with 2 fans push/pull.

Edit: Time to update my side rig panel.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2014
  7. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Do I have a bad i7-4770K?

I built my new Haswell system last June (see my specs for details) but I did not overclock the CPU as I didn't see the point at that time plus I wanted to be absolutely sure my system was stable on the stock settings. Well it is and I've been very happy with it.

The weekend before last, I decided to try a small overclock to 4.2 GHz just by setting the Sync All Cores setting to 42 and ensuring that my XMP memory profile was set then leaving everything else on their defaults, including the voltage. I was expecting it to be stable but that it would use higher-than-required voltages. Well it booted into Windows fine but after a couple of minutes it blue screened with an 0x124 WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR. With that I reset the clock back to default and it has been fine since.

To say I was disappointed is an understatement as I've read articles that say you can easily reach 4.2/4.3 GHz just be setting the CPU multiplier and leaving everything else as it is. I have a very good air cooler, a Noctua NH-D14, and my temperatures have been excellent: around 24 C on ave. at idle and no higher than 58 C after hours of heavy gaming.

So why is my CPU not stable at 4.2 GHz? I'm a complete newbie when it comes to overclocking and my confidence level is not that high so go easy on me, please! :D

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What voltage did it use @ auto?
    -cpuz, aida64, hwinfo64

To OC properly you will need to go to Advanced bios mode

I would try manual voltage first, set it fixed voltage 1,15v, set to sync all cores 42x and above this sync all cores disable asus multi core enhancement.
    If its ok, raise to 43x, if still ok raise to 44x.

If it fails at 42x, then try 1.155v, then 1.16, then 1.165..

in AI tuner digi+ section
    manually set cpu power to 110% (up to ~ 1.20cpuv, higher needs 120%)
    LLC4, instead of auto (up to ~ 1.25cpv, higher LLC5, LLC6)
    and VRM to optimized, just in case..

And below Digi+ there is cpu power management? section, open it and
    disable VR fault management (if you hoover on it it says asus recommends off when OC)

btw 0x124 bsod means low cpuv, 90-95% of the time.

@draegunstrife
    looks ok, maybe disable internal PPL that can heat up more, also dont use fixed SVID, try auto, maybe it will use lower. Same goes for cpu and cache , although adaptive cpuv can have avx spikes and that WILL heat more.

I think you will need AIO h2o cooler to lower it - ie new corsair H105 looks quite effective.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  9. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    It's not that it's bad, it's not all are created the same. Haswell has the worst variance between CPUs that I have ever seen. I've seen as little as 1.17v and as much as 1.33v just to even reach 4.2GHz The only thing I can suggest is you can manually set the voltage to 1.2v and then set your desired clock speed of 4.2GHz. If your able to boot into windows at that voltage, try lowing the voltage until your unable to boot into windows. Then adjust back to last known voltage that worked. After that, try running some stability tests.

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I'm not sure as the PC crashed before I had any chance of loading up any kind of monitoring software. :(

However, on the stock clock (3.5 - 3.9 GHz), I see the voltage increase to as high as 1.215 V when the CPU clock goes up to 3.7 GHz and stays there so I'm guessing that is not a good sign...? :3eyes:

Based on what I've just wrote above, I think 1.15 V is going to be too low for a 4.2 GHz overclock on my CPU. However, I will try what you suggest and see what happens. I was hoping for a quick and easy overclock to 4.2 GHz just by setting the CPU multiplier to 42X and leaving everything else on Auto though. :(

11. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Yes you can leave the rest at auto, but it will heat more.. LLC at auto uses 8 and VRM auto uses extreme.

Then yes try PhazeDelta1 suggestion, use 42x and set to fixed cpuv 1.20v.. Maybe keep 1.20v and go for higher cpu multi?

And disable asus multi core enhance..

12. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    I also had my share of WHEA errors. They were linked to the CPU with Internal Timer Errors in the log. I tried many many tweaks to my CPU OC in an attempt to fix it, but it seems it was something completely different.

I went from NVIDIA 331.65 back to 327.23 and ever since then i havn't had a single problem anymore.

So you might want to check that out.

13. Ranmaz

Ranmaz Guest

GPU:
    GTX 760
    Is it better to go static or adaptive for the Cpu Voltage when overclocking?

And I suspect that most of you leave Turbo Boost on?

14. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Nope, I disable turbo. As for overclocking, the easiest way would be to use the manual voltage to find your max overclock. Once your stable, then switch over to adaptive.

15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I just dont get this turbo..

I disabled turbo and it set all my cores back to auto.. When I set sync all cores to 46x it auto enabled turbo mode again.

So how can you OC with turbo off and use cpu multis?

16. Mr.Bigtime

Mr.Bigtime Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 on Laptop
    Hey guys. I'm new to club. Pla give a me a huge hug.

Anyway, my motherboard has too many options for overclocking. I don't want to you for now.

But those CPU settings I mostly choose auto. Is it fine?core sync auto. Ok? Something sofferent by default and I Changed it to auto.

17. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW

Disable turbo mode, save, reboot back into UEFI. Disable multi core enhancement. Set cpu core ratio to per core. The rest is self explanatory.

18. TyrantofJustice

TyrantofJustice Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    finally after reading on this thread i got my cpu from 4.2 to 4.5 stable at 1.85 so far lowered from 1.20.. i will try to go lower.. i am stressing it now on ibt max 50 passes while listening to music and surfing web though the web is super slow highest core hit 82c but no higher one other hit 80 the rest stay in the 76-78 c area

19. Ranmaz

Ranmaz Guest

GPU:
    GTX 760
    If for example my max voltage overclock is 1.2v. Then how do I switch to adaptive? adaptive will fluctuate beyond 1.2v.

Also if anyone else can comment.

I'm running stock settings with a nh-d14, and with prime95 I get 70 degrees Celsius with a 1.177V due to adaptive. I read an article that one is getting 1.104V peak. Do I have a really bad cpu?

20. PhazeDelta1

PhazeDelta1 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080 FTW
    Dont run any stress test while using adaptive voltage. The moment it detects AVX, it's going to ramp up past your setting. That's why I said earlier in this thread to use manual voltage to find your stability, then switch bback.