best games of your childhood

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by goliath, Dec 30, 2013.

1. JUNKIE

JUNKIE Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 980TI Hybrid
    Atari 2600 games Centepide , Asteroids, Defender, Joust, DigDug,DonkeyKong and one I can't quite remember exactly but maybe called Tron? you used both joysticks to control the player.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Contra
    How many,many days,nights?
    Prince of Persia Another World
    Load Runner

Populous Diablo,Dungeon Keeper Doom

3. Spin

Spin Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 670 FTW 2gb
    Ah, nostalgia. Gather around grandpa while he bores you with a tale of old electronics.

One game from each system:

Intellivision:

Snafu

Vectrex:

Armored Assault

C64:

Mail Order Monsters

Amiga 500:

Dungeon Master (first time I upgraded a computer to play a game. 512kb memory expansion cost 100 bucks.)

Strangely I basically tapped out of the gaming scene just as the consoles became sexy. I skipped the Playstation, Dreamcast, Genesis, etc. In retrospect, it was pretty healthy. I definitely needed that time to become more of a human being. :p

A few years after college I gave into my growing urge to game again when I saw Wing Commander III being demo'd on a 3DO. It looked like the realization of a childhood dream: interactive Star Wars.

When I finally got my first PC though, the game that really captured my imagination was:

Interstate 76. Still some of the best characters and driving, car design, damage modeling/simulation in the genre. Long live Taurus and his CB poetry.

Okay, grandpa is done. Run along kiddies.

4. private_joker

private_joker Guest

GPU:
    dunno
    ZX Spectrum 48K (it was very long ago, I don't remember all, so >LOAD "Memories" :nerd:):
    • Nether Earth
    • Exolon
    • Chase HQ
    • ELITE
    • Turrican
    NES (basically Japanese 2D-platformers):
    • Power Blade series aka Power Blazer
    • Ninja Gaiden series aka Ninja Ryukenden
    • Shadow of the Ninja aka KAGE
    • Vice: Project Doom aka Gun-Dec
    • Shatterhand aka Tokkyuu Shirei Solbrain
    • Batman
    • TMNT series
    • Double Dragon series

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014

5. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Contra came out when i was sophmore in high school, rented contra with a buddy of mine one friday probably played the game think left the console run all night to not lose our place and beat it the next day i think, great game.

Bionic commando on nes lets not forget that one either.

Castlevania...

well legend of zelda the og one.

NES had too many great game you kids were spoiled :p when the nintendo seal of quality meant something right. and segas best days were ahead of it at this point with genesis yet to drop.

6. Veteran

Veteran Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2xTitan XM@1590Mhz-CH20
    The NES and Master system were ok but real gamers had either an Amiga or Atari ST. These 2 high-end 16-bit computers destroyed all 8 bit consoles and computers apart from the NEC's Legendary 8-bit PC Engine back in the mid to late 1980's.:)

It wasnt just games it was powerful applications like Deluxe Paint and Degas Elite which just wasnt possible on a console.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  7. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    Heh for my money the sega genesis then the ps1 and the ps2 were probably the golden age.

Did not know too many people had the master system, tho i played it on a few occasions.

amiga i never got to see much at all other than a few guys doing 3d with them in school, before pcs could do anything near that level of processing at the time, just simple 3d text effects and such.

But macs were still the only thing that could do 24 bit color then even yet, pcs were lacking math co processors and such to do some tasks macs could do natively and so on. Pc video cards were a bit down the road yet even. So in college i was using almosty exclusively 24 bit color macs only ibm pcs we were used were b/w vector based graphics stuff.

Think when i took "3d" animation class or two in school those were ibm pcs w/e primitive caveman 3d software they had at the time, think the big rage then was tweening images so you had to draw 2d panels and tween the panels using tween, really handy stuff applied so well to 3d max and maya that would come a few years later, as in not at all.