PS4 & XBox One versions of Tomb Raider get TressFX

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by Final8ty, Dec 8, 2013.

1. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    regarding PC not getting the uber upgrade that PS4/Xbone gets, cmon the PC version looks magnificant, it cant look much better, who cares!!!!

2. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Good, let's hope proprietary technology is ground into the dust.

3. kitch9

kitch9 Guest

GPU:
    XFX 7990 3GB
    Or they are a business and do not feel that the risk is worth the return.

4. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    True, it's likely lot of games just don't make it onto the PC as the cost of development is high and/or the demand is low.

5. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Guest

GPU:
    Asus Titan
    Rift? Having played since before beta and still do, what are you talking about?

Same as Rage?

And Aliens was just patched to try and save face as much as possible after the release disaster.

I don't remember any game getting a free, or even cheap upgrade to the extent that at least this new feature list is promising.

6. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Rift had a small Gfx engine overhaul, Aion also, Rage added better texture detail..

Or any game before all this DLC fiasco that started to become more and more popular to ripoff customers further.

7. Phreakuency

Phreakuency Guest

GPU:
    Asus Titan
    Rift just added some AO and more recently is working on optimizations for multi-core CPU's. Nothing I'd call major or compare to what Tomb Raider is doing.

Had Rage since it launched and while I never noticed the texture detail improve, again like Aliens it had a lot of negative feedback so probably did more of a fix to save face than anything else.

I'd be happy to admit I'm wrong but I still don't see any game before having added as much visually to it as Tomb Raider is promising.

Which is why, given that it's releasing on systems that it is not currently available on (in it's original form), is fine to charge full price.

And I hope you aren't using the word 'ripoff' and thinking it relates to Tomb Raider on PC at all.

We've gotten the game we paid for. Nothing more, nothing less.

If they want to make a better version, we have no right to expect the additional features for free or even for a discount.

8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Nvm those games, it was an example.

This TR is the same game, just better detail.. Of course its a ripoff if they charge full price for it - I mean if it ever comes to PC. :)

I will never accept DLCs as something special, its not normal to charge premiums for it. Such stuff should have been in the game by default imo.

Idk if you know but back in the days we got new maps (gfx overhauls) for free with new updates, but now they make every little thing a DLC exclusive just to get more money out of it, get it?

Anyway my pov vs yours, lets agree not to agree ;)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2014
  9. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    It's a shame. Because I'm not a fanboy. I owned a 360, ps3 and PC. And this time around I own a ps4, xbone, and PC. I personally at this point, prefer the xbone's interface over ps4's, I like the exclusives of xbone one more thus far (Killer Instinct, Ryse) but as far as exclusives overall, I prefer Sony's (I loooove Uncharted).

Anyways, I'm glad I read this report, as part of me started to feel I was going to buy xbone versions of 3rd party games that released on both systems, but now I'm thinking I probably won't do that. And I wanted to share this with anyone else who has both or is on the fence about PC vs. console, etc.

It has been leaked that Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition on ps4 is 1080p and will run 60fps while the xbox one version will also run 1080p but 30fps. And I get the feeling after Battlefield, Cod, etc and now this, that this is going to be the norm with 3rd party titles.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/tomb...ps4-but-only-30fps-on-xbox-one-report/0127097

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Each to their own and all that but as an owner of both new consoles I find the Xbox One's interface to be inferior in just about every way to the PS4's. The Xbox One's interface looks bland and blurry, it's sluggish to use (because everything loads as an app) and it is missing loads of basic features such a controller charge indicator, storage management (both present on the PS4) and even Windows Media Center/PC streaming options. Hell, you can't even listen to your own custom music on the console unless you subscribe to the Music service and use Snap to limit your game to 2/3rds of the screen estate! And finding stuff is a pain unless you use the Pin options but even then there's no way to sort those out beyond moving something to the front of the list. The Xbox One has a distinctly rushed feel to it and then even extends to the installation and patching of games which are a chore compared with the PS4. Also, here in the UK we're missing all of the TV integration stuff and don't get me started on the 50/60 Hz stutter bug when viewing Sky HD through the Xbox One.

Granted the PS4 isn't perfect but as a games console most of the main features are there except for media streaming/support but then Sony have been very open from the start and I already knew it didn't support them (they will be added later apparently).

The big shock for me on the Xbox One was the lack of Windows streaming support on a system that claims to be a media hub! Even the Xbox 360 at launch had more features than the Xbox One right now and that was marketed as a games console! I really don't know what Microsoft are doing at the moment but ever since the Xbox One's embarrassing unveilling, they seem to be determined to mess things up. I can't help but think the system was not really ready but they rushed the system out so they wouldn't be beaten by Sony.

11. SLI-756

SLI-756 Guest

GPU:
    760 SLI 4gb 1215/ 6800
    very interesting, cheers Darren. :)

12. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Eurogamer's Digital Foundry are releasing a Face-Off of the PS4/Xbox One version of Tomb Raider later on this afternoon so look out for that. Reputedly both games are unlocked and run above 30 fps but the PS4 version is the only one capable of averaging 60 fps. The Xbox One version can go up to 45 fps though.

That's only what I've read; I've no doubt the Face-Off will reveal whether that is true or not. The YouTube footage I've seen from the PS4 version seems to have a juddery framerate, especially when rotating the camera around Lara. I suspect that is because the game's framerate is fluctuating anywhere between 30 and 60 fps.

13. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    If that's the case I'd sooner take a constant 30 than jittery up's and down's between 60's and 30's. Thanks for the head's up.

14. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Looks like a real review won't be out until later this week but they did do a small sum up of a few hours of play and it seems the ps4 does get jiddery with it's up and downs where the xbox one stays more consistent with staying near 30. Crap. I'm glad you posted this and I saw it before I went out and bought the ps4 version, I actually think I'll grab the xbox one version now. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-tomb-raider-definitive-performance-analysis

15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    There is Windows streaming support, it's just hidden away. I found an article on how to enable it the other day, but I honestly never really tried to do it in the first place as the PC does my streaming to the tv all the time.

I agree, the xbox one interface needs work, absolutely. As far as it being hard to find things, "xbox bing" and then ask for what you want. This option while retarded, does find things that seem hidden. I was able to find demo's weeks earlier than most with this option.

My problem with ps4's interface is it's overly simplistic.

Xbox one's interface is lacking, but you see a grand scheme there that should be fun. And for now, I've just been enjoying it more.

But like you said, to each their own. Can't go wrong either way, both systems will finally get us out of the dx 9 api era and that's great for gamers be it on console or pc :)

16. drbaltazar

drbaltazar Guest

GPU:
    amd 7950 3gb
    mm! look like dev or console maker or both are at fault here ! is ms still trying the coalescing uncoalesing idea ? doesn't these guys get it ? everytime you add something not necessary to said data you add problem always ! it is like this with aa,af ,you name it ,its like this . stop processing data gees ! you would think they would have learned since they released 64 bit but they still love to shuffle data for no reason at all ! sadly good luck disabling these inepcy in console rofl ! good thing im on pc at least I get the quality without the clutter !

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Oh i don't know, i would rather have the game start and 60fps and drop a few fps than start and 30fps and do the same thing.

Although it's hard to believe next next gen systems can't do 1080p 60fps out of the box, WTF is going on. lol

18. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    I spit water out laughing when I read this. You do realize how horribly bogged down your pc hardware is because of the bloat in direct x, right?

19. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    It's just a lazy port job.

But I dunno, apparently the dip from 60 to 33fps is quite noticeable on ps4 from what I've been reading as opposed to the xbone, it's biggest drop is 30 to 24. I'll have to flip a coin and just say f*** it as to which I buy lol.

20. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Lazy, it's down right criminal, 50 quid for a next gen port and a plus feature is the game has less a less noticeable fps drop than another port. lol

WTF happened to these consoles. lol

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014