PS3 on PC Monitor

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Aidan777, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nice :) Sounds like you should be good to go so long as the PS3 can output HDMI & RCA together

2. Aidan777

Aidan777 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    I'm excited to see how it goes! Either way this is a much cheaper alternative to purchasing an HDTV ^^

3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea definitely, worst comes to worst, you end up with no Audio, but the Video should work fine

Play some music and who's gonna know :p

4. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    It supports dual audio streams I know for a fact it can output game audio through HDMI and optical and you can set up the sound independent from video in the settings.

OP you should be golden.

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Ah sweet, should be fine then :)

I just use HDMI for both so haven't played around with other outputs yet

6. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Also worth menitions is that you should try using the Full HDMI RGB settings when using the PS3 with a monitor. You will find it in display settings. There are two options - full and limited and at least in my case - full is for the monitor and limited is for the HDTV.

7. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    There are exceptions to this. Some if not most monitors i've used, expand the 16-235 limited RGB range to 0-255 themselves. This is where limited RGB should be used for those monitors or you would crush blacks and bleed whites.

As for HDTV's its a bit more complicated. Some HDTV's have a "Black Level" setting to change between expecting limited range content or full range content. Rule of thumb with HDTV's is you want to try and set the source to full first and see if you can get your TV into expecting full range content (PC input label or PC resolution such as 1024x768). This will reduce the processing delay for decoding contrast range.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  8. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    Yes ofc there are exceptions. One should experiment with that setting because it depends on the hardware at hand.

9. Aidan777

Aidan777 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    Yeah, I came across this setting, I wasn't too sure about it. But I can always experiment :D

BTW, got my peripherals yesterday, everything works well! Had to figure out the 'line in' part for my audio but I got around to it eventually :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  10. batu11

batu11 Guest

GPU:
    amd radeon hd 7500/7600 s
    i was also looking for solution to this thanks

11. scoutingwraith

scoutingwraith Guest

GPU:
    Tuf 3070Ti / P1000
    I bought this LCD for my xbox and other consoles just because it was cheap when it went on sale. Good thing is it has internal speakers.(not much but still good for some quiet stuff)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

If you dont have any speakers on the monitor you will need an adapter to separate the audio signal from the video on the HDMI.