PS3 on PC Monitor

Discussion in 'The HTPC, HDTV & Ultra High Definition section' started by Aidan777, Dec 28, 2013.

1. Aidan777

Aidan777 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    Hello Guru's,

I am looking at setting up my PS3 so that it can be played on my monitor.

So far I've established I need a DVI/HDMI adapter, RCA adapter and an HDMI cable.

With regards to RCA adapters, I've been struggling to find a female 3.5mm stereo plug with a female RCA. Would these two work together?

http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables...jack-male-to-2x-rca-female-cable-adapter.html

http://www.cablechick.com.au/cables/single-rca-coupler-joiner-female-to-female.html

Lastly, would my DVI cable that goes into my monitor work with a female DVI/male HDMI (plugged into the back of the PS3) adapter? Thus not requiring an HDMI cable?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Thanks!

Last edited: Dec 28, 2013
  2. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
  3. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Which monitor do you have? Has it not got HDMI ?

4. Aidan777

Aidan777 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    I believe I have a 21 inch samsung monitor (1920x1080). I checked behind and it seems like there is another dvi or similar port next to the DVI I have plugged in at the moment. As far as I know I am led to believe the monitor has no HDMI input..

@Loophole

Will that single item enable me to bypass the DVI/HDMI adapter and RCA adapter? I heard from a friend the 'D' in the DVI enables sound to come out of the monitor?? I am not too familiar with all these plugins so any clarification would be most appreciated! :D

5. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    If you can find out the model number of the monitor, we can check which inputs it has if you don't know what you're looking for

If it has HDMI, that's all you would need, as HDMI carries Audio too

6. Aidan777

Aidan777 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    Found out the model number (2333SWPLUS) of my samsung monitor.

It has a DVI and RGB port. No HDMI :(

7. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Shame, ok so I would use HDMI to DVI for Video

And use the older style PS3 connector > RGB for Audio into an Amp / Speaker system / 3.5" headphone jack adapter > LCD

That's if you can use the old style connector at the same time as the HDMI, never tried with mine

8. Aidan777

Aidan777 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    Are you suggesting its possible to use the RGB port to provide the sound through a 3.5mm jack? I would intend on using my headphones.

9. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    This is my PS3 lead - you could connect the 2 Audio cables to a headphone adapter to plug into your monitor/Speaker system, you would need the reverse adapter for headphones if you can get one like that

[​IMG]

10. Aidan777

Aidan777 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    If I have the male/female RCA adapter (like the one in your pic) I could plug the male end into my sound card directly, would that solve my sound problem?

Or will I need the female/female version in order to use my headphones?

11. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I was thinking how to do with with only the PS3 and the LCD, not with the PC too, but if you can plug RCA audio input into your soundcard, then just plug headphones into the soundcard output and change the PC audio settings to use the PS3 audio in instead of system audio I would think - then you will have your Audio from PS3 > PC > Headphones (This is theory)

12. Aidan777

Aidan777 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    Ah yes, that could work :)

If we were talking only PS3 and LCD, I would need a 15pin (for the RGB port) to RCA adaptor? That way I just plug in the red/white and its only connected via the PS3 and LCD?

13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    For Video: HDMI from PS3 > DVI LCD (HDMI to DVI Adapter needed)

For Audio: You would need the old style PS3 cable in my photo > red / white RCA audio jacks to the same headphone adapter like in my photo too, then plug the headphone jack into your audio device, if your LCD has an Audio input socket, you could do that - if not, plug it into a 3rd party speaker system that has 3.5mm socket audio input or RCA audio input

(This is if you can use both PS3 outputs simultaneously)

Or use the optical out on the PS3 > Optical in for Audio on something

14. Aidan777

Aidan777 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    Alrighty.

In conclusion, my monitor doesn't have an audio input socket.

Looks like I will have to invest in an RCA adaptor similar to the one in your picture. By audio device you mean sound card? I think the best option right now would be the suggestion you made in the earlier post.

15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    You can get fairly cheap 3rd party speaker systems with RCA / headphone jack inputs for audio, then you could just set that up near the LCD and plug into that

I have one which is just a 5"x5"x5" subwoofer cube with Audio inputs on the back and 2 small speakers connected

Nice and portable and works with anything that can provide Audio output via RCA

EDIT- this is it

[​IMG]

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Dual link DVI-D can have sound sent across them only if both products hooked together accept sound over dvi. No it will not give you sound but you only have one cable no adapters for video.

17. Aidan777

Aidan777 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    @Extraordinary:

I have little room on my desk for a fancy setup like that haha, I do have 2.1 speaker system though that might do for the time being.

@Loophole:

Yeah so definitely no sound, but that cable will provide video to the LCD from the PS3?

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea anything that accepts RCA or 3.5mm jack input will do, it's not that fancy, its pretty small really, I can cover the top of the sub with one hand, pics make it look bigger :)

19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yes it should I've used something similar before on a samsung monitor.

20. Aidan777

Aidan777 Guest

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 2070
    Just did a bit of browsing on the internet and discovered that the 3.5mm male end (of the RCA adapter) can be plugged into the 'Line in' slot in my sound card. That way I can have my headphones/speaker system plugged in simultaneously.

Edit: Cheers Loophole and Extraordinary for your help :)