FX-83** Owners club - Discussion & overclocking

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by hallryu, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Shouldn't do any harm, other than not being able to return it because you can't see the print on the IHS any more - but you can see how warped they are before lapping from which part of the IHS is being worn away first, the copper is where you want to be

Lapping them on a glass table to make sure the surface you are sanding them against is as flat and smooth as possible

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2013
  2. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Awesome job

Great job on that chip bud, I was thinkin of doin mine. I had been for a bit now, seein yours got me in mood again. But what did you do with the pins, so you could sand and not bend them? I was thinkin gettin small block of that blue styro for like insulation and just push it on pins, be like handle and hold pins too, Peace

3. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    I know the lapping works (and great pics of your work btw), I just don't know if its worth me taking my computer apart again. I just installed this thing a few weeks ago lol. I may do it sometime in the future, but I don't have the patience to uninstall, do that and reinstall again. Too much hassle and its the holidaze

General rule is disable it for overclocking. Sometimes it can cause stability problems

If you have good temps and are stable, you can leave it enabled though.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  4. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    See the second last photo I posted, it's just a square of black foam that was in the CPU packaging when I got it, I just pushed the pins into that and it gave a fairly decent grip to push it around with

Because the pins were already touching that when it arrived, I guessed it would be static free

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013

5. Sobe

Sobe Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    Current OC on my FX-8350 @ 4.8GHz is stable for the moment.

Few hours on Prime 95. All workers passing 100%.

Took 1.475v in order to do so.

6. DSparil

DSparil Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3080
    That's some high voltage there my fellow guru, I'm guessing you're on water? I may be able to crank mine to that voltage with LLC on high if I lapped my processor, but I'm too lazy atm lol

7. Sobe

Sobe Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    H110 keeps it chugging along.

8. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
  9. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    1.47v is all good, they can take up to 1.55v. I use 1.48v at 4.8ghz myself....on air. Not atm during summer though as it gets a bit too hot. lol

SplashDown what are ur temps like? I'm looking for something better than Corsair H100i.
    Running P95 for hours at 220W is really bad for your motherboard vrms btw....u sure the CPU is not throttling?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  10. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    At 4.8 my cores never go over 60c, wth ambient at 70F, with NB at 2200, Ram @ 2133 ... I was messin around last week with 4.9 set, and they never went over 63c. And nope no throttling, my board throttles when cpu-tin gets to 110c or if cores go over 70c then it throttles. My cpu-tin was 85c . That was with 8 hours prime, blend. I dont have a permanent set yet. Ive been playin around with the LLC on this thing to get hang of, I just found out Ill be usin 75%, so I'm thinkin those temps will comedown, well see. The 4.8 up top was with LLC at 100. I cant lock down the voltages like you can on a asus formula z. I have to work with what the LLC is set at, Ive learned alot here in past few weeks about this board. Im sure thats why its cheaper than the asus boards, but it does do same thing, just cant squezze voltages as tight. Prime is goin now, Im at 1.48 right now with the 4.8 too, but this time LLC at75, I can see now its gonna be alot better.I just ran through the 800000 test and temps were 75c / 51c

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

11. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Wow nice core temps then. I'm amazed. :thumbup:

Sounds like your vrm's are cooking though at 110c. P95 will do that....:nerd:

12. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    I did it on purpose when I first got to see what temps it happened at.

13. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    At least that board has thermal protection....an MSI would've died under the same load. hehehe

14. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Ya I learned my lesson with MSI boards ... NF980 G65 damn brick it was but made it work but man what a B.I.A.T.C.H. ..lol . I also had a K9 Neo for my clawhammer, d.a.m.n. sata chip went in that 1.

15. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    You'll be thrilled bud if you go open loop. And if your into building its fun too. The guy told me a 120 rad would be enough for cpu alone, but I wasnt gonna get it and wish I went bigger, so went 240 but I'm gonna throw my new 770 thats comin into loop too, so Ill be quiter than I am now. All case fans are on lowest setting just to have air movin. and rad fans are on auto set to 45c. And if your not gonna go purple coloring and lights ect. Its pretty much maintence free, except for maintence dirt blowout every other month or less with rest of pc, [at least I do anyhow] I filled up with distilled water, put scum drops in and havent touched. Doesnt lose water and the dual bay res I use is in front rom slots, also from what I've read and reviews ect says the raystorm block it uses is one of the best overall ... But you wont go back once you get one, promise.

16. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Hey Pill, I found my 4.8 sweet spot. 1.48v / cpu-nb 1.27v nb 2200 @ 1.13v ram 2133 1.65v 75% LLC [nothin real crazy] and my temps were cpu-tin 80c / core 52c .... couldnt believe my temps, lucked out. Now that I got LLC figured out, time to play ...lol this will prob be my 24/7 tho. But gonna see if I can get a little more out for a gaming set too. if I can. I figured Id tell you this to give you better idea how my water setup works, give you some direction anyhow.

17. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    ^Nice one mate. :)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  18. Adi6293

Adi6293 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 480
    How does this OC'ed FX's perform in games?? :)

19. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Depends.....if the game uses older single threaded engine like Skyrim, Starcraft, or Shogun II, you'd be lucky to reach 50fps.

In Fallout New Vegas I get 45fps @4.8Ghz (that's with around 100 mods though). BF2 Project Reality loads 1 core at 100%.....avge 75 fps but drops to 50 sometimes....... same with most RTS type games.

Mass Effect 1/2/3 on the other hand runs really well, 85fps smooth......same with Max Payne 3, 75fps all high......GTA Iv actually runs at 60fps believe it or not .

Newer games is where it shines though, like in Crysis3, BF3/4, FarCry3, MetroLL my 8320 hauls ass since they're all really well threaded and I have a high OC.
    It does at least as good as i5 and in some cases better because of the number of parallel threads it can run, plus it's a whole lot cheaper as well. lol
    Best case scenario there is OC'd 83xx FX will outperform the 3570K and 2500K in BF4/Crysis3 etc and is almost equal to the i7, at the very worst it's at least as good as i5.

Unfortunately single/poorly threaded games drag it down. That's meant to change with Steamroller tho if it ever gets released.

Why? you thinking of moving to AMD?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  20. Adi6293

Adi6293 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GeForce GTX 480
    I used to have a 2500K @ 4.8Ghz with 660TI but had to sell to pay off a credit card :( I'm a big AMD fan and I want go back to AMD but I play a lot of RTS's and not sure how would that work. FX-8320 cost £113 while i5-4670K £178 its a big difference but then again I would have to spend extra money for better motherboard and cooling not sure what to do :bang: