Sold my R9 290's for $100 more then paid, due to Litecoin mining

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by negachampa, Dec 12, 2013.

1. gunrunner

gunrunner Guest

GPU:
    GigaByte Windforce 780ti
    Yes I did this a few days ago before realizing what the hell was going on. Put my xfx r9 290 with gelid icy vision 2 cooler installed on ebay about 3am, because I already had an RMA set up from Newegg. But I said what the hell, 3 day auction if it doesn't sell I'll RMA it.

within a few hours of the auction it sold for $499.99. I probably put close to $500 into it between vga cooler, thermal adhesive pads, thermal paste. Not to mention the hours it took to build it. Ebay nabbed me for $52 fee. Turned around and bought a gtx 780 ti.

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    Which online stores accept Litecoin? I also have a 6950 is that any good or does it need to be GCN?

3. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Go for it, then get custom 290s :D

4. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah good idea man. :D And get a single 780Ti or custom 290X or.. custom 290s.

5. eclap

eclap Banned

GPU:
    Palit GR 1080 2000/11000
    well, the custom 780ti is out the window, they cost around £620 over here. so even if I sold both my cards for £350 each, I'd have £700 in my pocket, some £630 after ebay takes the charges. so I could buy the 780ti and have £10 in my pocket, but that just isn't worth it, 7950 CFX is still far superior to a single 780ti. I thought if I could get a 780ti and a 256GB SSD with the money I get for the 2x 7950, I might consider doing it, but meh.

Custom 290 could be an option, I'll wait for them to come out and if I can get one and maybe a ps4 with the money I get from the 2x 7950, I might just do it. I'll wait for the custom 290 to come though.

6. Anarion

Anarion Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 3060 Ti
    You could try asking some ridiculous combo price for two and see how it goes. You never know. :nerd:

Last edited: Dec 16, 2013
  7. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    CF? No thx - never.
    Buying single R9 290, mining for a while, then selling it - this has been my plan all along.
    And I am actually pleasantly surprised how well it runs my games. You have to frame limit @60 fps sometimes, and thats about it.

Disgusted with everything else, temperatures/noise/TDP (I knew about all this beforehand), but mostly with Catalyst and 3rd party software support or lack of.
    Also, you have to see some of the Installation/UI crap to believe it. It's like back to 90's.
    BTW anyone installed that Raptr app? Is THAT supposed to be an answer to ShadowPlay OMFG

Still trying to set-up downsampling, sometimes it works, sometimes not LOL.
    What worries me the most is the referent cooler and dust!!!
    Somehow I doubt that even in properly maintained case this... thing will be fine a year from now.

All in all, some perks may be missing, but I'm not unhappy with my new HW.
    Yes, I've already gathered more reboots than in GTX 460 lifetime, but that's exclusively due to GPU mining.
    The card actually does pretty gdamn well what it's supposed to do (play games), so I just might keep it.
    (Till affordable G-Sync monitors come along?)

8. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    The Nvidia fanboy has awoken.

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    -gets affordable gsync monitor for 350$
    -gets low grade 250$ nvidia card with insufficient vram
    -happily plays games at 50fps
    -changes name to bottom feeder in every online competitive shooting game
    (those are gsync dreams)

As you stated you exactly knew what you are getting with r9-290. Complaining about properties you were well aware in advance seems like lack of reasoning.
    "Lets buy those shiny balls... but I can't stand it's roundiness."

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  10. Nirvana91

Nirvana91 Guest

GPU:
    7950 @ 1210/1500
    Been having multi-gpu Nvidia/Amd solutions over the years.

SLI is much more stable and bug free. I think that Crossfire is for more advanced users because you´ll have to search and do work arounds often for the games to run well.

11. negachampa

negachampa Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Ti SLI
    The R9 290\x cards are very good cards. Awesome value.

Heat, noice did bother me at all when I had them. In fact , if it wasn't for the Litecoin craze. I would have kept them as I in no way though that the multi-gpu issues i had were worth selling them at a loss.

It was just that as the longer i had them and the more games i played , to me, it was evident that I felt Nvidia provided a more polished multi-gpu experience.

Now that I have had my 780Ti's for a few days. The one game that actually did run better on AMD crossfire than Nvidia SLI is BF4.

I wish AMD could sort out their drivers to allow more games to run as optimized as BF4 does.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
  12. The Postman

The Postman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 980 TI Gaming
    @Nirvana91 Just no. It is not for more advanced users, just install the game and play. You don’t need a third party software to play with flags or whatever.
    If you think I am wrong, please talk about those workarounds.

@Negachampa You had three cards with beta drivers. CF is not perfect by any means but it is not worse than SLI. What games did you have problems with? The ones sponsored by NV and didn’t let any AMD optimization until release day? Just look at AC4, AMD is still working on a profile for that NV game.

All my games work fine…just install and play.

13. Desprado

Desprado Guest

GPU:
    GTX 780 TI SLI
    Sorry say but CF still dont work well with DX 9 games best example can be witcher 2 where as frame pacing can be active with 2560 by 1440 or more but not less and still 1080p user can experience micro stuttering in CF.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Truth is that nV has SLI bit more polished than AMD has CFX, not much but it's in better shape.
    Main problem here is mind set. As you understand that nVidia sponsored game will likely not have very good profiles for AMD at launch, you are fine with that and accept it as fact.

But casual gamer will look at it one sided, he knows that his SLI works with nVidia sponsored games and AMD is to blame for anything else.
    And if they try AMD CFX and it's not working perfectly then it's apparently again AMD's fault as they don't have proper scaling/pacing for nV title from start.

15. PNeV

PNeV Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070 Armor
    Not going to lie, I am tempted to flog my 7950 and put towards a custom 290.

16. Seref

Seref Guest

GPU:
    Nvidia 3080 Ti
    Well that didn't last long.

China just blocked new Bitcoin deposits, Bitcoin lost 50% of it's value over night. The crash influenced the whole cryptocoin market, Litecoin is currently down well over 30%.

Don't sell your GPUs unless Litecoin rebounds.

17. negachampa

negachampa Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 780 Ti SLI
    I just found that overall many games that run with out a problem on SLI. Did not run that great on crossfire( stutter, or just not as smooth as i am used to) or i had to outright disable crossfire. But the flip side to that there was not one single game that ran better on Crossfire then it did on SLI. Some of theses games were, Saints row 3, 4, AC 3, 4. Batman AO, The amazing spiderman, Transformers Fall of Cybertron, Far Cry 3. COD:Ghosts (crap game but still)

Yeah i could use D3doverrider or some other tweak, but the fact is none of these had a single issue with SLI.

But there were some games witch ran great, BF4, Crysis 3, Metro LL, all ran great.

No trying to dis AMD, and I went into the red team with a completely open mind, but after a month of using the 290s i just found it not to be as nearly of a polished experience as Nvidia.

18. Klapcos

Klapcos Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX980Ti @1.5Ghz
    LOL at least you made a pretty good profit and could go for the beats (GTX780 Ti) Overclock them as well :)

19. Deathchild

Deathchild Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah sound justification man. I'm also wondering whether to get a 2nd 7950 or go single custom 290/290x.