My son got a discipline referral at school,your thoughts

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by airbud7, Dec 10, 2013.

1. rflair

rflair Don Coleus Staff Member

GPU:
    5700XT
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=4721684&postcount=19

2. Pill Monster

Pill Monster Banned

GPU:
    7950 Vapor-X 1100/1500
    That's no excuse - why weren't you on the pill like all the other 15yo girls?

(I kid, I kid..:p)

3. wootwoot

wootwoot Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    Just because something is technically allowed or not by policy, doesn't make it a valid issue to pursue. What is the spirit of the policy? As in was it put in place to prevent students from eating small snacks like that? If I had to guess, probably not. Is it even strictly enforced on this level throughout the school, or is a specific teacher issue?

Even if one does feel the urge to take issue with it.

Is it more logical to put away the rest of a small snack for later, or to finish it off in one bite?

Then either spit it out or swallow it at that point? Do you think spitting it out was an intelligent request? It's unsanitary for starters, and spit it out where?

Common sense need not apply in education much like government, and it seems to only be getting worse.

4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Thanks wootwoot ^....my son is very well mannered/respectful Student ...his real teachers love him.....

5. Brasky

Brasky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070 Ti Su
  6. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    schools are just getting stupider and stupider.

I finished school in 2000

back then when I got in trouble in school . nobody called my parents. the school just came after me instead.

7. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Does it matter, no one knows the answer so who really cares, we are wandering in the realms of assumption, no one knows what the rule is, no one really knows how wonderful Airbud's kid really is beyond what we are told and no one knows just how good this teacher is, he may be like some of the teachers I had at school, total hard arses who accepted no BS but they were still good teachers.

He was asked a simple request and instead of just following it or even suggesting that he only had a little bit left he 'crammed' the rest in his mouth. The rule may have been small or non sensical but following the simple request to stop eating the snack would have been very easy and 'cramming' the rest of the snack in his mouth after being asked to stop eating, well which ever way you slice it is an open act of defiance and a clear showing of a lack of respect.

Yeah it's a stupid request but everyone seems to be focusing on the latter silly request and using it to ignore the more obvious former actions. Ignore the silly part at the end and it comes down to, asked to stop doing something, ignored request openly continued doing said thing, man up and accept punishment.

8. scipio

scipio Guest

GPU:
    Evga 1080 gaming
    If it was my son I would've said "you dumbass have fun in detention" end of story.

9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    That's about it. Well said.

10. Icanium

Icanium Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090TUF
    teacher's request
    I did not see any kind of power trip with this request.

11. Speed Weed

Speed Weed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 260+
    Teacher should think himself fortunate that he doesn't work in Denver, then.
    Some pupils in that area take such rebukes rather seriously.

12. wootwoot

wootwoot Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    The power trip would be seeing a senior eating a slim jim in the hall and decide you need to take action.

Then when he decides to do the logical thing and finish the last bit up, tell him to stop chewing and spit it out.

Then when he doesn't follow your stupid request, write him up.

He wasn't eating in class creating a disturbance, he wasn't eating something that's going to create a mess in the hall, etc, etc.

There was no good reason to say a word to him.

13. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    ^
    If he just listened and obeyed none of this would have happened, but since he thought meh screw you i 'll eat it (idc about your authority), it is what it is.

Now he needs to deal with it, The laughing man said it perfectly before.

14. wootwoot

wootwoot Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    Since when has blindly obeying been a good thing?

Does the teacher have the right under policy to write him up? Sure. Doesn't mean the teacher isn't power tripping and being petty.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Im sure there are certain rules in a School and "no eating in hallways" looks like one of them, or we wouldn't have this thread.

I bet that spit part was probably the only thing that made OP made this thread,

lol the part when he stuffs the food in the mouth sounded worse, i imagined some fat kid hungry for food stuffing the food like crazy :D

Imo OP's kid needs a little better respect to older/authority people. Just an advice, no offense or anything. :)

Good day,.

16. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I respect your comment. However, if you knew my son...your opinion would be different...so would your comment....

17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Rules are rules.

If no eating is allowed - why was he eating?

Last thing you want at any school is insubordination against teachers.

It has nothing to do with eating, nothing at all - it's about non-compliance.

No, you can argue logic until you are blue in the face - and I'm sure you can even throw in rationalization as much as you want.

BUT...

You cannot use justification.

Is anyone here allowed to eat outside of designated areas in their workplace? No. and if you did, there would be a disciplinary course of action your employer would have the option of taking - especially if you continued to eat in front of a line manager after being asked not to.

Rule are rules - and regardless of the youthful rebel inside of me, the lesson to be learned is solid.

As a side-note:

I recently was consulting with a company who were having issues with X. After some analysis, I sat them down with all affected members of their team and got to the truth of the matter with one of the team members who I suspected wasn't doing their job properly.

I asked her the question "Do you think X could have been done better?" to which she answered "Yes", and I then asked "What is the process you follow to achieve this?" and she went through a bumbling explanation with lots of pausing and rapid eye-swiping, indicating she was using the creative side of her brain and cross-referencing this with her logic thought processes - essentially lying and trying to cover this up.

Half-way through her 'explanation', she realized she was being setup.

I then asked "Okay, did you follow that process?"

She walked out the meeting, knowing full well she hadn't followed the rules and kept quiet about something which was costing the company some serious cash.

She couldn't justify her (in)actions.

Rules are not there to control people, but to free them - because if you follow the rules you cannot be wrong as you have the greatest 'get-out-of-jail-free-card':

"All I did was follow the rules - if I made a mistake, then the rules are flawed!"

Geddit?

18. wootwoot

wootwoot Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX295
    Was it strictly enforced or not across the entire school?

A slim jim is hardly "eating".

I do. Don't want them following stupid policy and questioning authority is what I want. I don't want a bunch of indoctrinated robots trained to obey and not question. Critical thinking has more value.

One of the reasons why this country going down the crapper. No ones being taught to think, just to memorize and obey.

A kid (rather a senior which is effectively an adult in my eyes) eating a slim jim in the hall is a non-issue, I don't care what policy says.

There's a big difference here.

Teachers work for us, and I don't want my tax dollars being spent on trivial matters and enforcing non-intelligent policy just to show them who's "boss".

...and yes I have eaten outside of designated break areas at work, did so on Friday in fact. Not a full meal, a snack. In front of my supervisor, in front of managements offices. No one cared, because I was on my time. They weren't going to make an issue out of a non-issue simply because they could....and I work for one of the most ruthless companies in terms of management harassment.

19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    This is why I used the term '...have the option of taking...'

IF your line manager decided to not take the option, then they are following the rules; just the same as if they took the option. They are still following the rules, just as you would be if they decided to take the option and discipline you, or ask you to eat in designated areas only. If they asked you, you would comply - don't argue ceaselessly on this point.

As for your other opinions, I don't necessarily disagree with you because I do not know what the curriculum is at US schools - but being honest I don't think it applies to this topic.

Rules exist to protect you from making a mistake, as I've already stated.

And to point out the obvious, a slim Jim is something you consume by eating - attempts at misdirection weaken your point.

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    That's the problem, WE DON'T KNOW HIM, in fact their is so much about this that we don't know that it really does seem worthless trying to form an opinion on it.

I mean we have people here discussing weather the enforcement of the rule was worth it without knowing anything, I mean literally nothing beyond, and let's be honest the OP is going to be a little one sided in this topic, what Airbud has told us.

The better question would be, what exactly were you, Airbud, hoping the general response to this topic would be? Better yet would it in any way have changed your own thoughts on the matter?